PDA

View Full Version : New Topology tool

PixelMachine
08-30-2006, 06:17 PM
Hello,
Here are some screenshots of the upcoming topologizing app, TopoGun.
I've started to sculpt the head in ZBrush from a crappy base mesh and then I've reworked its topology in TopoGun. There will be a beta opening soon.
You can also see it in action in this little video (requires xvid):
http://www.topogun.com/sneak1.avi
TopoGun will be released for Windows and Linux.

PixelMachine
08-30-2006, 06:18 PM
And this is the new topology, all done with TopoGun:3D.

Arcanox
08-30-2006, 07:51 PM
This program looks pretty cool, I'm wondering how much it's going to cost though?

I'm also wondering if this program has any specific features that Zbrush 2.5, Modo or Polyboost do not offer in regards to thier topolgy recreation techniques.

kirigoi
08-30-2006, 08:16 PM
Hmmm... This certainly looks interesting, but it will depend on price as far as I'm concerned. Any fully featured program like Maya can already recreate many of those features by setting the ZBrush model as a reference, then drawing polys by snapping to the ZBrush model. At a reasonable price point it would be very interesting though.

Edit: It looks like Arcanox asked the same question while I was typing... My own fault for wandering out to the shops before I started typing ;)

mech7
08-30-2006, 10:36 PM
This program looks pretty cool, I'm wondering how much it's going to cost though?

I'm also wondering if this program has any specific features that Zbrush 2.5, Modo or Polyboost do not offer in regards to thier topolgy recreation techniques.

They really cant charge to much as all it does is retopologize..

PixelMachine
08-30-2006, 11:13 PM
The program also has fast GPU aided normal/displacement/ambient occlusion maps creation, and also texture transfers between meshes.
It has about all the topology features in a form or another that polyboost, zbr 2.5, silo and modo has.
It works great on highres meshes without serious performance drawbacks (it has been tested with meshes around 1 million triangles on a GF 7600 GT).
I has mesh subdivision with surface snapping.
A nice feature would be the automatic faces creation, the program detects and creates quads and triangles realtime without user's specific intervention, so in the end you'll be sure you only have quads and/or triangles. You don't create polygons, you simply create edges/verts and/or draw lines and the program automatically generates faces when detected.
It has some kind of marking menus (pretty similar to Maya's). Pressing SPACE and using a mouse gesture pops up one of the four specific menus. Also, the interface elements can be moved around and rearranged as you like (not a serious feature though).
It's price will be lower than Silo's.

Fudge
09-06-2006, 08:28 AM
Hey Pixel, any news about this program?
I am very interested in it, so when is it going into beta and when will it be on sell?

Fudge

PixelMachine
09-06-2006, 11:16 AM
Probably the beta will start in november, not sure. The program will be on sell next year, hopefully.

Matt-Clark
09-06-2006, 03:09 PM
Looks cool. Zbrush 2.5 will ship with similar retopology tools, should be interesting to see how they compare.

Phrenzy84
09-06-2006, 05:37 PM
for those who use Mudbox instead this might be very useful (unless mudbox has something similar).

But for ZBrush users, they might not have to wait long for this. Plus they are given the option of either drawing the poly shell onto the mesh they want to conform to or import one and shrink-wrap it to the desired shape.

If this was here 12 months ago it would be snapped up like hotcakes, it look very stable bit just a little too late, if you get it outthere as soon as possible you might make a little money before zbrush 2.5 is released (dont forget it will be a free upgrade to 2.0 users).

PixelMachine
09-06-2006, 06:18 PM
Yes, those who use Mudbox should find it really useful, but ZBrush 2.5 users might find it handy aswell. TopoGun:3D has traditional modeling features ZBrush 2.5 doesn't seem to have, and even if the ZBrush upgrade will be free, it would still be a big deal to buy TopoGun:3D, since it will be a very cheap program.

jendrzych
09-06-2006, 06:19 PM
Nicolas Bishop, author of Sharpconstruct - free sculpting app, developes sculpting tools for Blender right now. This will contain very similar topology tool with freehand drawing mode.

here's official forum thread:
http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=71671

and a dirty'n'fast mockup
http://apieceofstring.com/retop.swf

PixelMachine
09-06-2006, 06:21 PM
It looks pretty cool, but do you know how it handles highres meshes?

jendrzych
09-06-2006, 06:27 PM
Actually have not tested yet, but You can download testbuild of Blender (check link to the official dev thread) and try it...

but,
there's a renderdemon's model modeled with Blender and refined with new sculpt tools
it has 1000 000 polys.
http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?p=700209&highlight=test#post700209
http://img161.imageshack.us/my.php?image=goldvampirekk9.jpg

n0s4ra2
09-06-2006, 06:29 PM
I for one am very interested in this app. And I would be willing to pre pay to get on the beta team.

I love silos ability to snap polys but from the pics of this it looks interesting. Also

I am having problems downloading the video. But it could be the pc I am using. At the moment. Please let me know when they have a website up.

Thanks

PixelMachine
09-06-2006, 06:32 PM
I will let everybody know when beta gets started and also when the website is up.

ZippZopp
09-12-2006, 10:13 PM
looks pretty cool, i do a lot more resurfacing now then i used to so tools like this come in handy, i can get a lot done in maya, but its a bit slower than this

PixelMachine
11-10-2006, 10:20 PM
Hello,
The TopoGun website is up and running.
Check it out!
www.topogun.com

bisenberger
11-10-2006, 10:37 PM
any news on a beta release?

PixelMachine
11-10-2006, 10:39 PM
Probably the beta 1 should open next week...

Phrenzy84
11-11-2006, 12:50 AM
...TopoGun:3D has traditional modeling features ZBrush 2.5 doesn't seem to have, and even if the ZBrush upgrade will be free, it would still be a big deal to buy TopoGun:3D, since it will be a very cheap program.

Thats one thing i will say is, its alot more controlled.

I like silo's toplogy brush but its very sketchy. It looks like i have far more control ove the mesh even when i subdivide, i dont have to nudge every or somethign i can hit, conform etc.

I still think zbrush 2.5 will do for most users, its just it wont be as advanced as this. I really do like the look of this app.

edit:// and im really happy this will also be available for those on linux.

oglu
11-11-2006, 07:31 AM
the new videos dont work here... i can see only the practical1 video...
:sad:

newellteapot
11-11-2006, 11:51 AM
I am having problems downloading the video. But it could be the pc I am using. At the moment. Please let me know when they have a website up.
Thanks
Cannot download the videos either, it takes ages and then they don't play. Will keep an eye on this anyway, sounds interesting

PixelMachine
11-11-2006, 01:53 PM
http://www.topogun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=10#10
Could this be the problem?
In Firefox and Opera seems to work fine.
I've tried in Internet Explorer and the videos won't play.

PixelMachine
11-11-2006, 04:56 PM
I've also posted the downloadable quicktime versions of those videos.

PixelMachine
11-13-2006, 08:41 PM
The beta 1.0 has started, go to www.topogun.com and register if you want to test it.

n0s4ra2
11-13-2006, 10:34 PM
Thanks for the notice. I signed up. The program looks great.

Fudge
11-14-2006, 04:22 PM
hey man, where do i post bugs/errors?
crashes if i ctrl click on nothing.

PixelMachine
11-14-2006, 07:44 PM
There is a special section on the TopoGun forum, called "BugBag" I wrote you that before.
The bug reports should be placed only in there, not here or anywhere else...

alex.h.
11-15-2006, 06:15 AM
Signed up, I hope i get a shance to try it. looks great.
see you

PixelMachine
02-14-2007, 11:37 AM
The website is updated, there is a new sneak video, showing the DRAW tool in action, which will be available in the new beta release (1.1).

josiah
02-16-2007, 07:29 PM
This looks great! I am just starting a re-topo project and this looks better/simpler than the tools I am currently using. Maybe I could get on the beta team?

PixelMachine
02-16-2007, 07:33 PM
You could try the beta, but you should fill the beta request form first.

PixelMachine
04-11-2007, 07:28 AM
Here are some screenshots of TopoGun running on Linux:
KDE (http://www.topogun.com/Img/01_tglinux/kde.jpg)
GNOME (http://www.topogun.com/Img/01_tglinux/gnome.jpg)
You can read more about this on the main site (http://www.topogun.com)
Cristi

CGTalk Moderation
04-11-2007, 07:28 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.