PDA

View Full Version : Learning session: Modeling a wooden gun,

PhilOsirus
01-26-2003, 09:20 PM
Hey all. I figured CGTalk needed some sort of challenge were we learn from each other. I proposed that a long time ago. Basicly, someone post a picture and we all try to model it and see how we proceed. That way -maybe- we will learn something:p So I am working on this anime girl from Breath of Fire IV. I have a lot of problems with the head but I left it aside for now. I am trying to model the gun, but since I have few mad skillz I have no idea how to proceed. I am tired of starting over so I wonder how you people would do it. Here is the picture, and the more we can make it simillar, the better.

All I managed to do was extrude a disc/flattened ball to make the pipe, but the handle I have no idea. So let's see what we can do? Thanks

EDIT: If any mod is reading this, you could move it to the WIP section or something. I posted it here cause I use LW but everyone could give it a try.

Stimpy
01-27-2003, 01:00 AM
im in, if i can find the time... using XSI here and also still in the process of learning.. :P

we will see what happens..

SplineGod
01-27-2003, 02:07 AM
Heres something I spent about 35 minutes on.
The barrel was made by extruding an 8 sided disk in SubD mode.
The wooden part was made by knifing across the barrel and smooth shifting those areas out. The handle was made by knifing across the barrel again and then smooth shifting it out. The trigger, trigger guard and pretty much the rest was made the same way. Its all a single object except for the ball and short piece of tube on the barrel above the handle.

PhilOsirus
01-27-2003, 02:40 AM
:eek: :insane: :argh: :bowdown:

H-h-how??? Ahem I mean this looks really nice! 35min??? I knew there was something I was not doing right. But I don't understand how you managed to "knife around" like that. But hmmmm I gotta try. Thanks!!

PhilOsirus
01-27-2003, 04:00 AM
Wooooooooh. I did a bit like you Larry. I subdivided a box once to get a ball, and smooth-shifted it to get the overall shape, then used the knife (good idea, I never used it well) to carve the shape, remove some polys, add some points, smooth shift this and that. Here's a render and the mesh. Of course I am far from done:) Can't wait to see how others do it.

SplineGod
01-27-2003, 04:40 AM
Cool, looking good! :)

FallenSwordsman
01-27-2003, 06:53 AM
Rats! Now you've got me wanting to have a go at it! Oh well, there goes my life for the next week or so.....Nice looking pics so far. Unfortunately I can't churn out stuff as quick as SplineGod! 35 mins! For me it would end up being around two days. Eek!

PhilOsirus
01-28-2003, 02:36 AM
New update! Weeeeee!:) I used a combination of box modeling (for the triger for exemple and such), and cut some polys, paste them in another layer, add detail (for the bottom tip) and paste it back. Yehaw!

Captain
01-28-2003, 03:38 AM
I like both these guns fellas! Very Chic! I'm thinkin of attempting my own to see if I could even get slighltly near that quality...if i ever get off my lazy ass and do it I'll post a pic.

Fun Idea

-Captain

Willax
01-28-2003, 03:42 AM
I think you two have done an excellent job at putting that object together from the image. I tried doing it last night, but I keep getting stuck on how to do the second smooth shift where the woodstock moves up the barrel over the top. I can't figure out how to do that yet. Back to the drawing board for me, but excellent job for you. :thumbsup:

SplineGod
01-28-2003, 04:17 AM
Hey Phil,
Its coming along nicely. Once you get the hang of the process it goes quickly. :)

Captain
01-28-2003, 05:09 AM
Ok, I decided to give it a go. This is my work, round 30-45 mins. Its made from good old fashioned basic polymodeling. Nothin but Bevel, Boolean, and Knife. The gun is made of several objects (wood different obj then metal) for easier surfacing. This is my attempt, as n00b as ever.

-Captain

Willax
01-28-2003, 07:12 AM
Well I decided to give this a try. After all I gotta learn how to do this stuff, so this was a good way to get my feet wet with something that was not a tutorial. This is what I got so far. Any pointers, hints, crits always welcome.

http://home1.gte.net/res0hk2e/images/OldGun.jpg

Still struggling with how to get that sharp definition between barrel and wood frame parts.

SplineGod
01-28-2003, 07:43 AM
Hey Willax, nice start. Build the pieces separately. Your barrel needs to be longer and taper larger towards the tip of the barrel. :)

Fasty
01-28-2003, 11:21 AM
Hey Phil that gun is really cooking! Love the celshading! :D Looking fantastic, I think you underestimate your abilities! Keep it up!

Remi
01-28-2003, 08:22 PM
Thought this looked cool so I gave it a whirl...working on it during renders and things....just a screen shot:thumbsup: :surprised

Edit:Added the gold thingy on the handle...still working on it when I can...kinda fun if you ask me....never made anything like this:thumbsup:

Captain
01-29-2003, 02:44 AM
Very Nice Remi, I think yours is the most impressive so far. Care to give us a wireframe and/or modeling methods!

-Captain

PhilOsirus
01-29-2003, 02:45 AM
Woah way to go peeps. And remi, your's looks very very accurate compared to mine. I really like the golden tip, I'm gonna have to remodel mine then. I was getting a bit lazy at that point:p

:wip:

Willax
01-29-2003, 04:41 AM
Ok I think I'm starting to get the hang of this. This one is a little better than the last one.
http://home1.gte.net/res0hk2e/images/OldGun3.jpg

Very nice model Remi :thumbsup:

Willax
01-29-2003, 05:40 AM
Here's a sample render of my latest attempt.
http://home1.gte.net/res0hk2e/images/OldGun4.jpg

PhilOsirus
01-30-2003, 02:27 AM
Here's what is probably my last update. All that I need to do now is add textures for the rest of the details. But I am having trouble with that handle. Oh well, that's it for me for now:)

SplineGod
01-30-2003, 06:35 AM
I would still look at modeling in the details. The gun looks good.
REALLY pump it up. Copy and paste the pistol into another layer. Freeze it and then use the stencil function to create cool little details like the gold work. Cut and paste the detailing back into your original layer.

PhilOsirus
01-30-2003, 12:30 PM
I tried using stencil before but it is confusing:surprised

I'll have to try again then!:p

Remi
01-30-2003, 04:37 PM
Hey thanks captain...sure thing....I'm working on this when I can...kinda fun....different from what i'm used to doing...but fun regardless...Here's what I have so far:thumbsup:

Great job everybody....lots of progress here.

i'm going to give that stencil thingy a try for the gold on the barrel...good idea Larry:thumbsup:

Remi
01-30-2003, 10:51 PM
Tried the stencil method...worked pretty good...just going to add some details and then it's on to texturing...this was a lot of fun...we should make this a regular thing....modeling lessons....what a clever idea....:thumbsup:
http://www.firedragon.com/~lwg3d/wip/2003/01/30-973158.jpg

PhilOsirus
01-30-2003, 11:27 PM
Woah you made it. I'm scared to even try:p But I have to!

And yeah this Modeling Lesson thingy is cool. When I'm done I'll post some pictures of what I think could help others (such as the use of the knife tool).

policarpo
01-30-2003, 11:41 PM
looks cool REMI.. can you post a wireframe of it. i'm curious about the new geometry you generated from the Stencil. :beer:

PhilOsirus
01-30-2003, 11:58 PM
I don't understand how that Stencil tool works. I get a bunch of 5 sided polys, tris, and not sure what to do with it even if I clean it up.:argh:

SplineGod
01-31-2003, 12:04 AM
Great job Remi! Glad the technique worked out. :)

draconix
01-31-2003, 01:40 AM
Whoa, I don't know if I could do that... no knowledge OR time.

I'll see what I can do. I just got the handle of the stencil tool while working on the bat. It's fun.

wgreenlee1
01-31-2003, 02:31 AM
Yeah this is pretty cool.
We should do something like every week or every other week.

That is after I get my dongle back from Newtek......

waaaaaaaa.....you guys are having too much fun without me...waaaaa!

Remi
01-31-2003, 02:46 AM
Thanks SplineGod....pretty cool little method there....:thumbsup:

Basically I just drew a spline in the shape of the red line...copied over just the barrell into a new layer...subd'd it a couple times....went to drill hit stencil on the y axis...and then I just grabbed the points...made a spline out of them in another layer...and rail extrude....cool...

thanks for the compliments everybody..:thumbsup:
http://www.firedragon.com/~lwg3d/wip/2003/01/30-987059.jpg

Remi
01-31-2003, 03:41 PM
Think i'm finished...tried texturing it..and didn't like how it looked...so i'm just going to leave it with some basic surfaces...looks pretty good to me....:thumbsup:

Will be looking for the next challenge...:thumbsup:

http://www.firedragon.com/~lwg3d/wip/2003/01/31-33762.jpg

Remi
01-31-2003, 10:50 PM
Is anyone else going to finish their models...i'd like to see some more....common guys/gals...i'm a waitin':wip: :thumbsup: :wavey:

PhilOsirus
02-01-2003, 12:44 AM
I will, just let me some time to learn that Stencil tool:) Great job Remi:bounce:

Willax
02-01-2003, 12:55 AM
Remi, you and Phil are light years ahead of me on this, but I'll hang in there with ya. It's fun to learn by doing. And I have definitely learned a few things with just this project.

SplineGod
02-01-2003, 01:00 AM
Heres another easy way to use the stencil tool to create splines.
Do the stencil. The stenciled area can be given a surface name.
Pick the polys in the stenciled area using the w(stats) key.
Smooth shift the stenciled area with 0 outset.
Deselect your polys and hit the m key (point merge).
What this will do is to create a string of 2 point polys around the stencil.
Again, use the w key to select all 2 point polys.
There is a free plugin on DStorms site called Polys2Curves.
This will convert each 2 point poly into a little spline segment.
Select all the splines and hit shift z (polygon merge).
This will merge all the little splines in one or more continuous splines depending on how theyre connected.
Anyways this is a much easier way to create rails then picking points off the stenciled area.
I use this as a way to create splines that follow the contours of objects. The splines can be used and rails or you can patch them to create straps, armour and other things that need to conform to a surface.

PhilOsirus
02-01-2003, 02:44 AM
Willax: I am glad you are participating. I learned a lot myself:)

This is more or less as far as I can go for now, cause I need to model the girl's head (for those who won't know I started modeling the character which can be found in the WIP forums).

Then I gotta learn how to rig and animate, and then texture. Phew!

Petrik
06-01-2003, 08:30 AM
Remi I don't follow how you did the stenciled details. Reckon you could do a mini tut on this?

dead_eye
06-01-2003, 08:53 AM
wow, those are some awesome models :applause:
all u need now is a game engine to put them in ;)
may i ask how many polys remi?

oh, and a stenciling tutorial :)
http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/tutorials/modeling/stencil/

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.