PDA

View Full Version : Knots

Blackwulf
08-29-2006, 01:12 AM
I am working on a kind of tribal creature and where his loincloth is tied with a knot. I am having trouble imagining how I would build this. I would rather not do this with textures and don't want to spend forever manipulating verts or CV's if possible. Anyone have any good recomendations on how to make a good rope know in Maya?

ChrisMann
08-29-2006, 08:30 AM
I use Max, but you could try lofting a spline shaped as the rope you have in mind. Hope the terminology is the same/similar in Maya.

In max you would draw a spline in the shape/position of the rope around the characters waist, with as many control points as needed to follow the contour of the waist. I would use the snap to vertex/point utility to be precise and I'm sure Maya has something very similar.

For the knot, decide what type of knot its going to be (draw it out on paper or whatever,) then shape the spline into the knot, twisting the ends of the spline together like you would with a real rope.

For the cross-section shape of the rope, create a spline circle, and loft it along the spline.
I imagine Maya's lofting dialogue editor will give you all the options you will need in regards to topology generation, texture co-ordinates, etc.

Now you should have a base rope which you can refine further in various ways.

Hope you find that useful.

Blackwulf
08-29-2006, 06:02 PM
Thanks for the input. I'll give it a shot!

CGTalk Moderation
08-29-2006, 06:02 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.