PDA

View Full Version : Dual Monitors

DreiGrasheir
01-26-2003, 06:25 PM
hey. I recently got myself a new bigger monitor. I still want to use my old monitor, so i can have two screens and multitask. I got a monitor splitter (merges two monitor cables to fit the one socket on my graphics card), but the second monitor looks all scrambled like. is there anything else i need to get for it to work correctly?

DeathCarrot
01-26-2003, 06:55 PM
i think you either need 2 graphics cards to or a graphics card with 2 or more ports to use dual monitors as two seperate monitors.. otherwise your second monitor is just a clone your first one... not sure about this though..

Muv Bloated
01-27-2003, 12:51 PM
I agree with DeathCarrot.

I don't know about "monitor spliters", the best way to go (from my experience) is to either get a dualhead card or two seperate cards.

There's a lot of great dualhead cards out there from companies like Nvidia, Matrox, etc that can drive two seperate desplays (or more) from one single card with dual output connectors.

Then there's the two card solution (usually in a AGP - PCI configuration [slots]), but with this you'll have to be aware of a few compatability issues you may encounter along the way....like for instance conflicts within the cards themselves. A card in the AGP slot and another in a PCI usually works best, as opposed to two PCI cards (unless both PCI cards are indentical).

A good resource can be found here (http://www.realtimesoft.com/).

Just my opinion.

jjburton
01-27-2003, 02:06 PM
I'm a recent initiate to the dual monitor club and I love it. I'm using a FireGL 8800 which can be had for quite cheap now. It supports multiple combonations of setups. I've got a 19 inch CRT and a 17 inch LCD right now and it works right as rain.

wasted weasel
01-29-2003, 04:04 PM
i'm running dual 21' montiors at work, using a new Nvidia Quadro4 XGL,

it looks awsome, and gives me a bloody huge desktop to work with, but I'm having problems with maya 4 and my new card, it seems to freeze the whole computer, and it's frustrating me to now end..... if anyone has had any similar problems let me know, i really don't want to go back to my old card and a single monitor

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=40475

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.