PDA

View Full Version : Polyboost ethical or not

Rafa-el
08-28-2006, 05:19 PM
ok here i am again with another newbie question.

i recently bought a copy of gnomon school character modeling dvd.

and i see ian joyner uses the plugin polyboost , i know he is an awesome artist and im not questioning this , but i mean , it easys the process a lot since it has some features that max dont...and i know it may sound stupid but...is it alright to model using that ( if your not a pro i mean , cause i assume pros need to do the things faster to speed up the production ) i feel kind of cheating when using plugins on max....

what do you guys think about that?

and sorry for any errors in my english.

Arcanox
08-28-2006, 05:47 PM
He's not wrong at all to use those features. Polyboost is a good plugin thats very modeler centric and it allows the artist to really speed up the amount of time it takes to do certain things. People who specialize in other areas need other tools to allow them to really get the results they want, it's a perfectly OK thing to do.

Polyboost is good because it cuts down on production time. It will speed up tasks that would otherwise be spent polishing a model. Time is money, and that goes double for someone skilled with modeling. He's still be very good without any neat plugins, but a one time fee of 97 bucks to save hours of modeling time pays for itself.

Rod Seffen
08-28-2006, 05:57 PM
YOu're judging it from the point of view of one 3d app - 3ds max.
3ds max has a terrible interface, workflow and modeling setup as default, virtually every other app is far superior to it, so it's not cheating to try to imrove something that is lacking to begin with, only evening up the score.

Rafa-el
08-29-2006, 03:28 AM
hey , i think you got me wrong...i dont think hes not good because he used it

i was just asking if its normal for people to use plugins and stuff to make the app better.

seriously i didnt meant to say he was not good , i just thought that if I started modeling using scripts it would be like cheating on myself. if i ever make it to work with 3d i will be good enough , dont have to prove myself to...myself and i will be alright to use any tools nescessary to speed up my work.

again , im sorry if i sounded like i was sayin hes not good.

and thanks for the replys

astromonkey
08-29-2006, 03:58 AM
i dont know how id get anything done with out spin faces and edge loop split for maya (well pre 7.0 versions anyway).

4 low
08-29-2006, 04:13 AM
If it makes your life easier, I can't think of any reason NOT to use it.

I've been happy with it, but have only used the trial version. I'd like to find a dumbed-down version though, since there's several tools I don't use or need.

Stefan-Morrell
08-29-2006, 06:06 AM
i was just asking if its normal for people to use plugins and stuff to make the app better.

seriously i didnt meant to say he was not good , i just thought that if I started modeling using scripts it would be like cheating on myself. if i ever make it to work with 3d i will be good enough , dont have to prove myself to...myself and i will be alright to use any tools nescessary to speed up my work.

Polyboost gives 3dmax a much needed boost with several very handy tools,the idea that scripts/plugins may somehow be a bad thing is daft,
use whatever you've got to get the job done.

ftaswin
08-29-2006, 07:35 AM
You remind me of a (smart ass :D) friend (not you :thumbsup: ) that said it is un-ethical to use undo in modeling process, it's cheating, it should be just the the real life sculptor... bla bla bla... using artisan just like real life.... bla bla bla...

Whatever.

I've never seen anything good come out of his theory on his reel. Never.

Ft

JakeJK
08-29-2006, 09:46 AM
YOu're judging it from the point of view of one 3d app - 3ds max.
3ds max has a terrible interface, workflow and modeling setup as default, virtually every other app is far superior to it, so it's not cheating to try to imrove something that is lacking to begin with, only evening up the score.
What is it that makes it so terrible? I use 3ds max with polyboost for my modelling, and it's in my opinion way faster than maya that I used to use.

SamSed
08-29-2006, 11:48 AM
IMO a new user to any 3d app shouldn't be using any plugin , learn your software's interface first , and when you feel confident with you abilities ,you can use whatever you want.

Want to see your new boss's face when hearing you asking colleagues ,:"is Polyboost installed ?, No , then please can you show me where is the edge loop button , and cut tool button , ......................................and if it's not much trouble the extrude button too "

Rod Seffen
08-29-2006, 02:56 PM
What is it that makes it so terrible? I use 3ds max with polyboost for my modelling, and it's in my opinion way faster than maya that I used to use.

Try default Max without polyboost, and then try a dedicated modeling app such as lightwave modeler, modo or silo. You'll see the difference for yourself.

Rafa-el
08-29-2006, 04:35 PM
my worry was exactly what sam said , i might get to work some day and because i have allways used plugins i might get a little lost in the app im using be it max or maya or xsi or whatever.

now...i dont worry about it , i have been trough a training in a institution with authorization from autodesk to teach max , i understande how the program works fine , and almost all his tools , i know that i should use whatever makes the job , since i havent much of a experience yet with 3d ( its 4 mouths i mess around with 3d , including the time i was gettin my training ) so i was just curious to know your opnion about me using plugins in such an early stage , ou if it is okay even for a begginer.

but i think i got the point now , and since i know how the original tool works theres no crime in using plugins to help translate my artistc ideias to the app.

=)

thanks guys

mech7
08-29-2006, 06:12 PM
hehe everybody is complaining how the want more better easier features.. and you are the exact reverse.. wondering if it is not too easy lol :)

kirigoi
08-29-2006, 06:30 PM
If you're a beginner, I see absolutely no problem using plugins as long as you could do it yourself if you had the time (although that doesn't go for higher-end stuff like Syflex and Realflow I guess). Just don't buy a plugin if you think it'll make up for deficient modelling skills.

Things are rather different in a production environment, where people tend to already be good at the basics, as deadlines are the most important consideration and anything that speeds up basic tasks can be enormously useful.

ienrdna
08-29-2006, 07:01 PM
if plugins are unethical, what upgrading software then is ?

plugins add missing features or improve existing ones( there was time when there was no Edit Poly and people messed with crappy Edit Mesh)

kinda same thing if say ,digital art is not real art, because its so "easy"
its the skill that matters

JakeJK
08-29-2006, 09:50 PM
Try default Max without polyboost, and then try a dedicated modeling app such as lightwave modeler, modo or silo. You'll see the difference for yourself. I've tryed modo and silo.

what's far superior about them compared to 3ds max? Cause I can't find any real reasons why it should be far superior

KingMob
08-31-2006, 04:28 AM
a friend just showed me this thread, so I hope you don't mind me chiming in late.

Polyboost...XSI...standard max....clay...modo...doesn't matter they all have things that are great, and things that are not. They all require the user knows good modeling/topology/form to make what the client/artist wants.

IMO polyboost is awesome and I hope every app includes some of the features it has, since you can save SO much time with is. However all apps have similar things already.

And to the person who says max 'sucks' I actually think max has awesome poly modeling tools, just not really well intigrated to themselves. Polyboost basically does that. The only thing about max I hate is its instability, and its slowness with heavy poly scenes.

That is my reasoning behind it at least. Oh and thanks for saying I don't suck ;)

josh3light
08-31-2006, 06:18 AM
just curious, can someone explain some of the features of polyboost that they found really great? I am sure they are but I just haven't had time to explore it properly

Thanks!

B-Mac
08-31-2006, 07:12 AM
It is good to use plugins and such, but you should always know how to do it the manual way first.

Because if you walked into a job at a studio and they didnt have the plugin, you would have to do it the manual way.

You have to know how to crawl if you want to walk.

Rafa-el
08-31-2006, 07:18 AM
well as far as i see then it all comes to that old saying "the software is only a tool" so now i understand , no matter what plugins or softwares i might use , the right thing is to know how to work without then before.

great i just needed to clear that out , because i really want to work with this someday and dont want to fool myself at the begining!

oh and Ian , you are far from sucking! loved the dvd!!
probably going to buy the texturing one too!

:bounce:

CGTalk Moderation
08-31-2006, 07:18 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.