PDA

View Full Version : Glow maps in Maya

benclark
08-28-2006, 12:16 PM
Can anyone explain how to create and apply glow maps in Maya?

I can find tutorials online for nearly every program apart from Maya. I have seen various models on forums using Glow maps but I cant seem to figure out how to achieve the effect.

(I mean realtime glow not rendering effects)

thanks

FirstManOnMars
08-29-2006, 04:53 AM
Not 100% sure but I think it really depends on what engine you are using. Also, what the exporter for that engine recognizes as a "glow map". Then you link the map to your texture network in maya as designed by the engine and export. You might need an export or live render plugin depending on the engine as well.

As for real time glow maps in maya? Havent tried that, but I dont see why linking an alpha channel or seperate bitmap to your glow intensity channel (Post render effect) wouldn't work as an example of what most engines can do.

Hope that helps.

hakanpersson
08-29-2006, 06:45 AM
Yeah, like FirstManOnMars said.

And only if those who build the exporter tools were kind enough, they might have added so that the exporter recognize a maya glow map, and applies the same for your model in-game.
But even then, the code for theses are most likely totally different. Specially when we are talking bout post-render effects versus realtime ones:)

kobi
08-29-2006, 04:45 PM
Ive never worked with Glow maps but I have worked with emissive maps, are these relativly the same? I would agree with (FirstManOnMars) on connecting a gray scale map into the glow intensity on the material then the Glow\emissive map would blend with the color map thus driving the color of the glow. but its going to be based on the engine you are using and the exporter.

benclark
08-30-2006, 08:29 AM
I'm working with unreal engine. But is there no way to get a glow map working just in Maya??

I cant find any glow intensity channel in Maya to connect my greyscale map to?

FirstManOnMars
08-30-2006, 09:02 AM
I think this will work with all the standard shaders in maya, (Lambert, Blinn, etc.)
Goto: Special effects tab in your shader attributes, then attach your file there.
http://mattwaggle.com/images/photoalbum/11/tips1.jpg

Here's mine set to .3 So, I recommend using the glow channel sparingly.
http://mattwaggle.com/images/photoalbum/11/tips2.jpg

benclark
08-30-2006, 09:42 AM
Thanks very much for that. I obviously wasnt looking hard enough:D

kobi
08-30-2006, 12:23 PM
If you are using Unreal there are emmisive properties for there materials, I dont believe you can export the glow from maya but if you have an Emmisive texture you can import it into Unreal then connect the RGB channel or what every you feel gives you the best results into the emissive chanel of the material. Good luck I would like to see how it turns out!!

Brett....

CGTalk Moderation
08-30-2006, 12:23 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.