PDA

View Full Version : Shiva - Hindu God

giodoc
08-27-2006, 09:42 PM
Base Mesh and UVs created using Maya. Detail,and textures added using ZBrush, photoshop. Rendered using Mental Ray.

Feedback welcome:

puckducker
08-27-2006, 09:52 PM
Very nice work. Would it be possible at all to post up some wires? I'd be interested in seeing how they're layed out.

No specific comments I'd like to add, but I would say that your final composition doesn't show off your model too well. The characters texture blends in with the background and enviroment very well, and it's difficult to get a good read on him. The soft lighting too, somewhat hurts it, especially when you can take advantage of some real nice shadows with how the sun is set on the horizon. Think of how you can better seperate your character from the enviroment to display it better to the audiance.

Oh, and the texture on the loin cloth looks a little stretched.

Other than that, pretty interesting stuff. I really enjoy the design of your character!

3dzombie
08-28-2006, 02:44 AM
Hey there!
Nice work, but I need to comment on certain things here. But as puckducker said, we need to look at the basemesh... Anyways I've got a good example here for you:

http://www.shaivam.org/gallery/image/shiva/shiva_mandala.jpg

Shiva is actually supposed to look handsome and the face in your shiva shows the skull beneath as if he's been starving. Secondly he's got a long hair. You need to make his legs and hands thicker - add more flesh to it. With that done, it'd look amazing...

Good luck

Mouli

giodoc
08-28-2006, 07:46 AM
Thanks for the feedback! Much appreciated!

- I'd used a GI cast for the lighting, using a blinn shader, for the close ups, and an SSS-Shader for the distant shot..., and his skin being blue, I guess causes the character to blend in with the bg, because of the cast, I will post a render of a more dramatic lighting scenario..A little later

- As far as Shiva looking emaciated and leanly muscular, I've tried to make him as close to what I think he would look like in real life, living in a harsh environment, following a aesetic life, ie scarcity of food and alot of walking I guess, would mean, he's lean and muscular. I've stayed away from the "traditional" images, where he looks "soft". Also as he is "rudra"/"Mahadeva", who causes the cosmos to be destroyed through his anger, I guess he would need to look "ultra masculine", and somewhat stern, hence the pronounced facial bone structure.

Here is a wire of the base mesh, modelled in maya, and the final 1M poly mesh, from ZBrush. With the base, I've tried to have the edge loops mimic muscle flow and deformation angles etc.

Here's the wireframe:

And here's my non textured refined Mesh from ZBrush:

CGTalk Moderation
08-28-2006, 07:46 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.