PDA

View Full Version : 3ds import not working

markdc
01-26-2003, 11:06 AM
I'm trying to import a model in the 3ds format. It's not working and there is no error message.

poserpro
01-26-2003, 02:51 PM
it happened too days ago, but OBJ will be better for import.

thedaemon
01-27-2003, 12:31 AM
I had the same problem, MB refuesed to import 3ds files or at least it seems to..

markdc
01-27-2003, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by poserpro
it happened too days ago, but OBJ will be better for import.

I don't see obj listed under the import options when I select File >Import

CurtisG
01-27-2003, 02:58 PM
Hi Brian_dlm,

Depending on where the 3ds file originated from, there may be a few issues on import. If you could attach the file for us, I could take a look at it and see where the problem is.

Currently, Motionbudiler supports .3ds and .dxf, but no .obj

Take care,

markdc
01-27-2003, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by CurtisG
Hi Brian_dlm,

Depending on where the 3ds file originated from, there may be a few issues on import. If you could attach the file for us, I could take a look at it and see where the problem is.

Currently, Motionbudiler supports .3ds and .dxf, but no .obj

Take care,

It's a commercial model that I purchased so I can't send it. But it was exported from 3dsmax in the 3ds format. I tried using fbx but it's losing the eye materials.

Michel Besner
01-27-2003, 09:05 PM
Using FBX is a much better solution than 3ds.
As you can merge back your animation data coming from MB with original scene in max, you won't loose eye material in max but only in MB (you might want to check how your materials/hierarchies are built for this problem)

M.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.