PDA

View Full Version : external harddrive cannot be accessed!!

willy517
08-27-2006, 05:51 AM
"not accessible.file or directory is corrupted or unreadable."

I have an 320 gb hard drive that i need to recover if possible.. it was working fine and i restarted my system and it gives me the error that the data format is RAW, and cannot be accessed...i have used DOS utilities, I have tried accessign this on different OS's, win2k, winxp, but it was not working , so please any help is appreciated

MacManiax
08-27-2006, 06:11 AM
Did you just install Windows or any other OS. Sometimes you can accidently erase a partition or hard drive during installation setup and it will leave raw disc space waiting to be formatted. If you did you may have to buckle down and buy some software. Someone else may know of some good freeware.

Expensive, but ive seen it save some peoples butts.
EASEUS Data Recovery Wizard Professional 3.0 (http://www.easeus.com/datarecoverywizardpro/index.htm)

danylyon
08-27-2006, 12:21 PM
Me and my friends have the occasional problem with Firewire disks also.. not too uncommon. Unfortunatly.

What might works:
- triing lots and lots of times switching on and off (waiting between)
- switch the disk on, wait until it spinned up, plug it in then
- unplug the power while the disk is running.
- try different Firewire ports (direclty on the computer)

Often it's actually a controller thing and not the disk. So you might even take the disk out and put it into a different case.

TumikSmacker
08-27-2006, 12:35 PM
I was thinking of picking one up...is this a big problem?

zzacmann
08-27-2006, 04:04 PM
If its coming up RAW you're pretty much screwed. If there's crucial info on it, I highly recommend the RAW Recovery Software from Stellar Phoenix. It costs $99, but Ive had a lot of success with it recovering lost pictures and documents from corrupted harddrives. You can go in and select the HD to recover and then a list of file types (.jpg, .tiff, avi, ect) pops up and you can select which types you want to search for. You probably cant get everything, but you can get alot.

scrimski
08-27-2006, 04:37 PM
Me and my friends have the occasional problem with Firewire disks also.. not too uncommon. ...
Often it's actually a controller thing and not the disk. So you might even take the disk out and put it into a different case.

Had the same problem. The tech guy at the place where I was working at that time told me to use only Oxford Bridge controllers when using external FW drives, others (like the Prolific (?) Controller of the drives I used at that time) cause problems and read/write errors.
If anything fails build it into your comp.

Ordibble-Plop
08-27-2006, 11:21 PM
I'm having a wee problem myself right now with an external disk and am using testdisk (http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk) (freeware) to analyze what is going on. It can also repair damaged boot sectors and knackered partition tables.

CGTalk Moderation
08-27-2006, 11:21 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.