PDA

View Full Version : Looking for the Maya file that calls AETemplate Procedures

chriswaner
08-27-2006, 02:34 AM
Hey Everyone,

I'm trying to find the file (area) in Maya 7 that calls the procedures for AE Template Files. For example, when I click on a blinn shader in the hypershade a command is called named 'AEblinnTemplate', which opens the attribute editor for a Blinn Shader. Who is calling this procedure? What file calls the initial procedure that tells maya to execute the script path to my AETemplate directory? Hope that makes sense.

Thanks,

Chris

MKSpectre
08-28-2006, 03:03 PM
If you select a node of a specific type in Maya (for example a file node), and the attribute editor is open, Maya tries to call the AEfileTemplate function.
So, if you want to create a Attribute Editor view for another type of node, you just need to create a AE<nodename>Template function and source it on startup (like any other script). Maya assigns them automaticly to the correct node Type and shows that Template.

I don't think there is a file where you can change this process - maby via api.

Hope i got your question right and this helps.

chriswaner
08-28-2006, 08:00 PM
That does help. Thank you. To push the question, therefore, a bit further. I notice that when I select a blinn in maya and the AE is open it launches the appropriate AETemplate file for a blinn, but there are attributes within the AE that do not appear in the AETemplate file script for that node. I traced back and found that Blinns, for example, call common material attributes from Lambert AETemplateCommon files. But what I don't see or understand is what is calling mental ray attributes to load in the attribute editor (or any other 3rd-party renderer). How are these attributes embedded within the Blinn AETemplate. If I read you correctly, the only way to do this is through editing Maya's API?

In other words, are mental ray AETemplate procedures being called and placed into the blinn AETemplate file in some dark API cavern inside of Maya? If so, that's very unfortunate because my knowledge and skills are not yet there.

Thanks,

Chris

PS> I'm willing to dig into maya to get a handle on this, so any Maya API tips that anyone has would be greatly appreciated!

MKSpectre
08-28-2006, 10:25 PM
no - those are all included from other files.

check AElambertCommonInclude (which includes the photon stuff) for example. That one gets included in AEreflectCommon, and that is in every reflective maya material. Its a little bit confusing, but i guess all mental ray attributes that show in AE are in some mel files.

mk

CGTalk Moderation
08-28-2006, 10:25 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.