PDA

View Full Version : Realflow - liquid metal shield

RealityDistortion
08-26-2006, 09:38 AM
Hello,

I would like to use realflow to obtain this effect :

I have got a basic sphere and i would like to see appear a thin liquid metal shield around this first basic sphere with a very nice liquid effect. I've make a try to put 2 spheres in max and then export in realflow to fill with liquid between the two surfaces but it's too long and propagation of the liquid is too bad.

If anyone had a idea it would be great ;)

Maybe can i use a single sphere and use a liquid who "stick" on the surface but the shape of the final liquid metal shield has to be perfectly spherical. Please help me :o)

Many thanks
Nicolas

Ls3D
08-26-2006, 06:08 PM
Your first approach is sound, you probably have scale issues IMO. Try running your RF scene at a scale that is close to the default emitter size. Then reduce internal and external pressure on the emitter (.1 for eg), and use whatever resolution you need for a tight grouping of RF particles. You could also crank the viscosity way down and experiment with the object's sticky value.

BTW - RF sims run for many hours, day and weeks in some cases.

-Shea

mackdadd
08-26-2006, 07:53 PM
i don't know much about RF, but i did the same sort of thing once with Glu3d. i wanted to make a water-person. i had my animated walking perosn model, applied particles to his entire surface that stuck with him and didn't move as he walked, then used the PWrapper that comes with Glu3d. Bam, super easy and really fast! PWrapper is just a liquid-type surfacer for particles, the surfacer that glu3d uses.
unfortunately, i can't even begin to guess how you would achieve it with RF. i'm a glu3d guy, not RF. RF has a crappy interface and takes WAY too long for me.

RealityDistortion
08-27-2006, 03:01 PM
Many thanks for your support and advices Ls3D and Mackdadd, i'll make a try...
Scale of the RF scene according to the emitter size is a good way i think :) It's great...
I've to learn to use glu3D, it seams to be cool too...

Nicolas

Clanger
08-29-2006, 10:32 PM
Maybe you could make your RF sim in a flat square tank then extract an animated depth map for placing on the sphere as a displacement map?

Just a thought.

mzee
09-10-2006, 02:55 PM
I think the way with 2 sphere is not bad.
Do you use the Inward and Outward Collision Options?

BTW: Check out the unofficial Realflow-Forum at:

www.trebre.com/realflow (http://www.trebre.com/realflow)

cheers,

mzee

CGTalk Moderation
09-10-2006, 02:55 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.