PDA

View Full Version : can u learn anatomy without puking?

kami1314
08-26-2006, 09:30 AM
hey people..i just saw some disections that i wont soon forget and just thought of sharing the experience...enjoy...

Warning:this are real cadavers and you'll probably have nightmares after...must is a must see for artist to learn...
http://www.med.umich.edu/lrc/coursepages/M1/anatomy/html/courseinfo/video_index.html

Rist
08-26-2006, 04:12 PM
Get yourself some of these books from THIS (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=257424&page=1) list. I highly recommend Burne Hogarths. But he can be too stylist at times (his figures look sculptured).

If you are talking about organs and arteries, well, why would you need to lean that as an artist? Artists only need to learn the muscles, and in groups at that. I made the mistake in learning each and every muscle, instead of focusing on the bigger picture.

Life drawing classes help too.

LadyMedusa
08-28-2006, 02:26 PM
Somehow I feel "Sweet!" is an inproper thing to say here <.<... umm... "Yay!?"
I've been looking for a site like that for a while now, thanks for sharing :)

jn2art
08-28-2006, 02:44 PM
I actually had to take Human Gross Anatomy as part of my art studies. Which means I actually got to dissect a person. I really loved the class and learned a lot.

Why would you need to know this you ask? If you are doing Medical Scientific Illustration, Medical Visualization, or any other Medical or scientific related art in which you have to deal with clientel that are Medical Professionals. They like to know that you have the proper knowledge and Education to convey there ideas properly.

Oh and no one ever puked during class and that video does not phase me what so ever.

Rebeccak
08-28-2006, 03:14 PM
jn2art,

Hi there, I noticed that you are a DC native as well. :) May I ask if you did your Gross Anatomy studies locally? And if so, may I ask where? :)

I would love to do this personally.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

astromonkey
09-04-2006, 10:25 PM
note to self: dont browse the CGTalk forums while eating lasagna.

RyanMTaylor
09-06-2006, 08:38 PM
note to self: dont browse the CGTalk forums while eating lasagna.

i wholeheartedly agree.

rblitz7
09-08-2006, 03:28 AM
How gross is it? im kind of scared to look.:argh:

kami1314
09-09-2006, 06:25 AM
not really that gross if ur stomach is strong and you dont mind seeing a human being cut up..but if you into horror movies then you're prepared you for this moment..but to tell you the truth for like 3 days i didnt want to eat meat or do it with my girl.lol

Helen-Baq
09-09-2006, 05:06 PM
Thanks for sharing this link. I bookmarked it right away. There's also really cool anatomy videos available that use cadavers to show bones, veins, nerves, and muscles, as well as muscles actions, then they show a live person performing the action. They are every informative. We watched them in massage school. Here is one link where I found them. (http://www.lww.com/product/?0-7817-4357-5)

LadyMedusa
09-09-2006, 06:41 PM
How gross is it? im kind of scared to look.:argh:

It's this <------> gross :p

Acctually it depends on how comfortable you are whit the idea of seeing people dissect various body parts.
Corpses don't bleed but some people can get disgusted by the sometimes harsh-ish movements of the disector(s) and the fact that theyre acctually cutting up an ex-human that seems to have started to disintegrate.

Rod Seffen
09-09-2006, 09:10 PM
I don't think this sort of thing is very useful. I watched a couple of them, but nothing is very clear, it's just a mess of dried meat.
Obviously dissecting one yourself would be useful, but watching a video of someone esle doing it is not the same.
I think it's far more useful to look at the ecorche clay models on the Rey Bustos site. Clarity for artists is the main aim of those models.

unseenthings
09-11-2006, 03:58 AM
FWIW, it crashed my firefox (1.5.0.6 on XP64) so be careful if you have a ton of browser windows open. It's probably a quicktime/xp64 thing, since they don't really play well together.

TheBladeRoden
09-11-2006, 04:14 AM
I'm getting nautious just thinking about going to that site :surprised

Fazendinha
09-15-2006, 06:07 PM
when I was doing my post grad course, we where taken to a lovely museum called the Hunterian. (http://www.hunterian.gla.ac.uk/)
I was warned by several of the previous students that I should go there on an empty stomach... and I'm glad that I did!
So, it did gross me out when I started, but, after awhile I just started seeing shapes and forms and by the end of it, I was... well, happy and really hungry! :twisted:
(we stayed there for 5 hours, nothing related to the corpses)

Intervain
09-20-2006, 12:52 PM
that's a freaking sweet website - pardon my sick enthusiasm LOL I'm learning anatomy recently and it's great to have the ability to see it on the real thing without cutting yourself up :scream: thanks!

newellteapot
09-25-2006, 04:30 PM
It's amazing how the human form, and I'm referring to the "inside" of it, is still such a taboo and is still considered disgusting. I think it's disgraceful that at school I had to learn on drawings. I went to an anatomy for artists course and to the Hunterian museum in London and I simply rationalised and educated myself to understand that that is what we look like, all of us, and I got used to it. I also went to Bodies, the exhibition, and found it very educational. There were very young kids there (between 5 and 10 years old) and they were just cool.
Pull yourself together!
:)

ha-dou-ken
09-26-2006, 08:31 PM
I don't think I want to see this...maybe when I get home...maybe.Lasagna, yuck haha, now I really don't want to see it.

SylvanMist
10-22-2006, 06:28 PM
I actually had to take Human Gross Anatomy as part of my art studies.

Is that really the name of the course? :D

These things just totally freak me out. dissecting a frog is ok...even a cat(not that i'd want to do it), but a human..ughh