PDA

View Full Version : dedicated rotoscopy program

seb4d
08-25-2006, 03:29 PM
Hi !

I am looking for a program dedicated to rotoscopy. Until now I use after effects or shake, but I don't find them perfectly fitted for hardcore rotoscoping, so I would like a program made for that but I don't know if it exists at all.

Anybody has an idea please ?

dprgb
08-25-2006, 04:26 PM
http://www.silhouettefx.com/roto/

Also, Commotion, but they stopped making that one. A lot of places just use Shake, though, you should probably just stick with that. Is there anything in particular AE or Shake is lacking that you're looking for?

seb4d
08-25-2006, 04:30 PM
Thanks for the links !

What I don't like in after effects is that I find difficult to select curves without selectionning the background by error, and you can't manipulate multiple curves knots at once.

dprgb
08-25-2006, 07:41 PM
You could also download the learning edition of Eyeon's Fusion 5 and try that... I use it and the spline tools are excellent. They make a non-floating point version (8 bit only, any resolution) that's $1200 or so.

WhiteRabbitObj
08-26-2006, 09:33 PM
If you're having trouble with the background being errantly selected, just lock the background layer so it can't be picked.

Also, if you want a good program for rotoscoping, Combustion is the best I've used. You keyframe control points instead of shapes, which takes a bit of getting used to at first but is a very powerful way to work. You can also attach tracking data to individual control points on a roto spline, which is very handy.

beaker
08-28-2006, 08:48 PM
Silhouette is our new favorite roto tool. Combustion is just too slow compared to it and crashes a lot. Unfortunatly we only have 4 licenses, otherwise all the roto artists would use it exclusively instead of Combustion.

Also it runs on osx/linux/win where C* runs on windows and there is an osx version but I wouldn't touch it with a 100 foot pole(slow and even more buggy then the windows version).

SOE digital
08-29-2006, 02:10 AM
Give CinePaint a go if you don't want to spend a cent. It's free and apparently really good.

beaker
08-29-2006, 02:31 AM
Give CinePaint a go if you don't want to spend a cent. It's free and apparently really good.umm, no and no. I would never use cinepaint to roto.

SOE digital
08-29-2006, 03:48 AM
Fair enough, I've heard nothing but good about it for roto but then again, I've never used it. I just stick with AE :)

JDex
08-29-2006, 03:52 AM
Unfortunatly we only have 4 licenses...

Surprised... if memory serves it's rather reasonably priced.

seb4d
08-29-2006, 09:39 AM
I downloaded the demo version of Silhouette and it's a great piece of application indeed !
Very fast and intuitive. The tracker is very good too. I really consider using it now.

Only two things I regret :
When you key a shape all points are keyed, you cannot key points independently, which is too bad for a program specialized in shape animation.
I didn't find a way to make paint strokes live forever, it seems they only exist in the frame you paint them, or did I miss something ?

Anyway, very good program and for a reasonable price !

bartrobinson
09-12-2006, 08:54 PM
Give CinePaint a go if you don't want to spend a cent. It's free and apparently really good.

umm, no and no. I would never use cinepaint to roto.

Just a tiny clarification on CinePaint, though it's hardly worth mentioning... I think he was thinking of paint touch up and dust busting, it is somewhat functional in that way. It has no tools or timeline for decent roto though.

saltchrome
09-21-2006, 05:52 AM
Have you tried using vecotr paint with onion skin on in AE?

CGTalk Moderation
09-21-2006, 05:52 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.