PDA

View Full Version : What kind features would be great for Fusion "5.2"

Honza
08-25-2006, 11:41 AM
Hi, the changes for Fusion 5.1 are great, and Im looking forward to work with this software. Hopefully most of the many Bugs have been fixed.

Anyways lets collect a list of features you hope for in Version 5.2.

Ill start with a little feature

- A much bigger workflow canvas

PieterVH
08-25-2006, 12:17 PM
Hi, the changes for Fusion 5.1 are great, and Im looking forward to work with this software. Hopefully most of the many Bugs have been fixed.

Anyways lets collect a list of features you hope for in Version 5.2.

Ill start with a little feature

- A much bigger workflow canvas

And what exactly do you mean by that?

Honza
08-25-2006, 12:37 PM
My flow is very often getting so large that I cant see it completely in my viewport when I zoom out. So It would be great to zoom out infinitely.

Honza
08-25-2006, 12:52 PM
Oh and to switch between AutoKey/Non Auto Key while working with PolygonMasks, that would be great.

PiotrekM
08-25-2006, 06:25 PM
fix all timeline/spline/render bugs plz :rolleyes:

Wizdoc
08-27-2006, 05:08 PM
I haven't used Fusion 5, so I don't know if it's already been implemented, but a Shake-style Reorder node would be nice. I know there's the Channel Booleans, but the drop-down menus are a bit tedious to use in a bigger project.

Tagger
08-28-2006, 05:22 PM
the option to have more then 1 texturemap in fbx import would be nice ... or better yet, that fusion reads the textures baked in the fbx file (dunno if 5.1 already fixed this).

the updatebugs with the values of linked expressions can be annoying as well.

and the option to choose wether you want to import your footage as a sequence or not (this one realy bugs me)

lotusexige
08-30-2006, 09:23 PM
I haven't tried 5.1 (dont expect it to be different) but:

I really wish they would make the connections better. By that i mean you have to click such a tiny little square when dragging a connection line between nodes, that more often than not i end up just dragging a selection box around my nodes

ON a similar vein - the right click menus are the same, if you move the mouse 1pixel off the menu it immediately dissapears - VERY annoying

well that's my 2p's worth

Tagger
08-31-2006, 08:30 AM
I really wish they would make the connections better. By that i mean you have to click such a tiny little square when dragging a connection line between nodes, that more often than not i end up just dragging a selection box around my nodes

well i like it that for the most common connection (basic input) you can just drag your connection to the node itself and it will attach itself to the triangle

lotusexige
08-31-2006, 09:35 AM
ahh yes, the 2nd node will automatically connect - but that wasn't my gripe. I was talking about how fiddly it can be to get the output node's square clicked to create the dragged connection. On a hires zoomed out workspace it's sometimes a lot harder than it should be

SalaTar
09-01-2006, 02:56 AM
and the option to choose wether you want to import your footage as a sequence or not (this one realy bugs me)

think its fixed ...

stills vs. sequences

Fusion automatically identifies file sequences on disk and loads them as sequences rather than stills. So it is not necessary to select more than one file from a file sequence. Fusion will automatically identify the sequence as a single clip when it loads it into the bins.
To ignore the sequence, just add the clip into the bins as a single file or still. Hold the Shift key down while adding the clips to the bins and each file will be seen as a still. This technique applies to dragging and dropping as well as using the file browser.

Tagger
09-01-2006, 08:42 AM
thanks SalaTar, didnt know that ... but it's kind of stupid that that shift option doesnt seem to work on normal loader nodes (without the bin)... or am i doing something wrong ?

SalaTar
09-05-2006, 01:02 PM
ON a similar vein - the right click menus are the same, if you move the mouse 1pixel off the menu it immediately dissapears - VERY annoying

goto your plugins folder and rename contextmenu.plugin to contextmenu.xxx
you will get standard explorer menus

hope that helps

wellsichris
09-05-2006, 04:16 PM
here's a couple that would be nice. a tracker like syntheyes. basically you can just track one frame at a time and then ajust it as it gets off by clicking in the window, "tracker preview window" and moving it there. it is just very fast and effective.

roto like pftrack. so you can click the line between the points and it will move the two connecting points.

turning down the opacity of the roto splines.

reflections in the 3d in of things. with actual ray tracing.

overall stability

also. I like in shake how when you push the space bar what ever window you are on goes full screen. something like that would be nice

SalaTar
09-06-2006, 03:42 AM
overall stability

ok stop smoking crack now, read the manual

wellsichris
09-06-2006, 05:15 AM
SalaTar,

not quite sure what you mean? maybe it's just a hardware conflict problem but there are times when I will try something and it will crash and then when I open it up again it doesn't have an issue. Not sure what the manual would say about that. But I can't seem to find a consistent reason it crashes, that's why I say overal stability. Don't get me wrong I love Fusion. at Work I have to work with shake and I can't stress "HAVE TO" enough. it drives me crazy. Fusion is from my experience so much more powerfull and user friendly that I don't consider Shake in the same league.

So anyway, I'm not trying to dog Fusion. I really enjoy compositing in it. I find it much better than every other package I have tried.

If you are refering to read the manual about the suggested improvements, or features I would like. then once again, not sure what you are saying I have read the manual about the tracker as well as roto shapes and I must have missed it if it is there?

so anyway if you find something that I wrote unreasonable or in someother way uneducated. please, correct the offense. but don't just say RTFM and then not suggest a topic of study. I have no problem admitting when and where I am wrong. so if there is a section you suggest reading that I might have over looked I would be more than happy to. and would happly post how to achieve the desire results.

I have seen you give very valueble feed back on this forum, so I respect your knowledge with fusion and would greatly appreciate what feedback you have.

onto the topic at hand.

Something that would be helpful is in the color correct node have the option to export the settings to another node to apply to different footage. the image below shows this example. So basically If I have brick wall and then have another brick wall that needs to match the first, the one on the left needs to match the brick wall in the scene. I can crop down both images and then do the histogram match to make them match. which works really well as scene in the floating view 1. However. If I want the other elements from the same shoot as the really red brick wall to match the real set, such as some logs in this case which aren't shown but have the horrible red tent like the wall. then I can't do the match becasue it's taking the whole image and trying to match it. the instance doesn't work. So if I could just have a node that says use these settings that are generated from the match that would be handy.

another thing that would be great is if you could do a tracker that would track the overall shift in an image and apply that to another image. this same example. the brick wall in the set changes because they have a light flickering on it. it would be great if you could mask,or crop out one brick on the wall and then say as this shifts in luminace and color apply the shift to this other footage. So if it gets brighter and more red. then the other footage would get brighter and more red.

one last thing for tonight. a color stabalize node. the situation is if you create a z-depth layer and the camera is moving then the z-depth shifts. which works for depth blurs and fog. but if you are trying to do a z-depth composite. it becomes problematic. so if you could select a region and then track a roto shape to it. then it could evaluate how the image is changeing and remove the change. basically if we had the top suggestion we could do this. but it would be neat to have a separte tool for this.

anyway, just some ideas. If this is already possible, "haven't been able to find anything in the manual or figure a way to do it" then let me know. and if so sorry.
thanks
Chris

theotheo
09-06-2006, 08:14 AM
ok stop smoking crack now, read the manual

There are stability issues with fusion 5.02 , especially when working with the timeline.
But hopefully that's all fixed in 5.1 :)

-the0

marchermann
09-06-2006, 08:53 AM
Make it available for OSX on Intel-Macs. :)

PieterVH
09-06-2006, 11:55 AM
However. If I want the other elements from the same shoot as the really red brick wall to match the real set, such as some logs in this case which aren't shown but have the horrible red tent like the wall. then I can't do the match becasue it's taking the whole image and trying to match it. the instance doesn't work. So if I could just have a node that says use these settings that are generated from the match that would be handy.

I am not sure if I understood your problem correctly, but if you mean what I think you mean, at any given time you can press the 'Snapshot match' button in the bottom left of the CC. That will lock the CC in the current setting (until you press 'release match'), that will allow you to do what I think it is you want to do :)

another thing that would be great is if you could do a tracker that would track the overall shift in an image and apply that to another image. this same example. the brick wall in the set changes because they have a light flickering on it. it would be great if you could mask,or crop out one brick on the wall and then say as this shifts in luminace and color apply the shift to this other footage. So if it gets brighter and more red. then the other footage would get brighter and more red.

Install the Krokodove plugin set from www.komkomdoorn.com (http://www.komkomdoorn.com)

It contains a free modifier called "probe" which will allow you to do exactly that. I can't live without it. Well, not really, but you know what I mean...

one last thing for tonight. a color stabalize node. the situation is if you create a z-depth layer and the camera is moving then the z-depth shifts. which works for depth blurs and fog. but if you are trying to do a z-depth composite. it becomes problematic. so if you could select a region and then track a roto shape to it. then it could evaluate how the image is changeing and remove the change. basically if we had the top suggestion we could do this. but it would be neat to have a separte tool for this.

Yup, you're right, it's the same thing. Probe and some expressions and you're done!

About the stability issues: make sure you have the latest graphics card drivers and if your system has 2 or more gigs of ram, add the /3GB switch as described in the support section (Fusion FAQ) on the EyeOn website. Those two things made my setup close to rock solid. If it ever crashes, it's mostly due to a 3rd party plugin (so not sure who to blame ;)) and a minor issue...

Hope that helps!

Pieter.

wellsichris
09-06-2006, 05:12 PM
Pieter,

Thanks for the response. Actually if the scene didn't change the snapshot match would work, but if it changes then it wouldn't. thanks for the plugin suggestion. I'll check it out. as for stability I do have the 3gb switch and will play with display drivers. I check to see if they have any newer drivers.

Thanks again for the tips.

Chris

PieterVH
09-07-2006, 10:10 AM
Pieter,

Thanks for the response. Actually if the scene didn't change the snapshot match would work, but if it changes then it wouldn't.
Chris

Ah, I see. Try this: judging from your screenshot, I'd say the reason it doesn't work is because you also feed a foreground into the instanced CC tool. I can imagine how that might confuse things technically. I might be wrong there, but if you would just feed the BG in the instance, then it should simply take the exact same values as the tool it is instanced from, and not override them by a new match which it does because of the second input.

Does all that make sense?

Pieter.

CGTalk Moderation
09-07-2006, 10:10 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.