PDA

View Full Version : Two versions of TS?

DMack
08-25-2006, 11:31 AM
Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has tried having two versions of Tequila Scream installed at the same time? I just want to be able to get LW9 up and running on TS BUT I don't want to remove my LW8 version of TS. I want to be able to render across the network using LW8.5 and 9 (not at the same time!)

So, has anyone managed to do it????

Cageman
08-25-2006, 12:11 PM
Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has tried having two versions of Tequila Scream installed at the same time? I just want to be able to get LW9 up and running on TS BUT I don't want to remove my LW8 version of TS. I want to be able to render across the network using LW8.5 and 9 (not at the same time!)

So, has anyone managed to do it????

So far, I havn't seen any rendermanager that can handle different version of LW at the same time. Over at NT-forums I asked a question about a rendermanger that, when I submit a job, can be set to use either LW8.x or LW9.x. No answers on that one so far... :/

EDIT:Workaronds:

1. You collect all scenes that needs to be renderd with LW8.x and render those first. When those are finished, you change the rendermanger to LW9-configs and render the scenes for LW9.

2. You have two servers, one which does LW8.x stuff, the other LW9.x stuff. :)

DMack
08-25-2006, 12:37 PM
Yeah, the servers aren't going to be the biggest issue - as you say, you can just group your scenes and do them separately. I'm guessing that the main issue will be the nodes. I have mone set to start-up on boot up. I'm guessing that if you have both fire up you'll get conflicts? Or is TS clever enough to only fire up the correct version nodes....so when I'm using TS on LW9, it will only fire the TS ver 9 nodes and NOT the TS ver 8 nodes at the same time....Hmmm have you tried that?

I'm not too bothered about having two managers - I'll either be using 8.5 or 9 on a job, never mixing. What would be more bothersome would be if you had to manually go to each machine and choose which Tequila node to fire up!

Cageman
08-25-2006, 12:43 PM
I haven't used TS, but Muster-nodes reads configs from the destionation you set with Muster Management Console, which in installed when installing the server-software. This means that I can change the configs on the server, and all nodes will read that automaticly.

uncommongrafx
08-25-2006, 02:39 PM
Chepe has given us the option to specify which configs are to be used. To that end, with the latest one, you could go back to 7.5 with it.

The only hassle here is that you would have to change these lines for the variations you wish. That is to say, it's not an automatic switch.

But ya know... this made me think: why can't you feed an 8 scene to 9's lwsn? Keeping in mind the texture changes that have been made, should render the same.

Cageman
08-25-2006, 02:57 PM
But ya know... this made me think: why can't you feed an 8 scene to 9's lwsn? Keeping in mind the texture changes that have been made, should render the same.

Because not all scenes renders faster in LW9. Some scenes actually renders slower...

DMack
08-25-2006, 04:29 PM
For me, it's not so much speed (though that has proven to be a point - ahem!) rather than the risk of instant migration. I always have a project on the go so there's rarely a down period where I can swap over to 9 and test it all thoroughly before actually using it on a project. If I knew for certain that LW9 wouldn't mess up a project, I'd move over right away....but we're not in an ideal world and I have, therefore, to be careful....

So, when the TS manager fires it's 'Run Sel' nodes....what does it actually do? I'll have separate network drive areas for LW8 and 9....

Thinking about it (!), it should be fine to have both 8 and 9 nodes on each renderfarm machine. Then when, say the TS manager 9, fires up the nodes, this happends by writing files to the command care on the 9 area of the network....so in theory, you should be able to have both systems running in parallel. Sure you'd need two managers and two nodes per machine but that doesn't matter......Hmmmm Maybe I should try it?

DMack
10-16-2006, 04:05 PM
OK, I've got two versions of Tequila Screamer on the server and that seems fine. However, the nodes proove more difficult. Both the LW8 nodes and the LW9 nodes look automatically for "TequilaScreamNode.ini". So one node overwrites the other node.:sad: Has anyone figured a way around this? I'm thinking of dropping Chepe a quick email to see if it would be possible ot have different ini names...

Any suggestions?

DMack
10-17-2006, 11:21 AM
OK, Chepe doesn't have the time ot incorpaorate a new .ini name at present. I can live with manually configuring the nodes on each machine for now.

However....I have another problem (please someone help with this one:shrug: ) I've set the TS manager up on a server and have both Win XP and Win 2K clients with the nodes on them. The XP ones seem to work fine-ish (sometimes they fire up two nodes per node?) but the Win 2K ones are erratic to say the least! Anyone got any experience/suggestions as to why this may be?

Boy I want to get back to 3D rather than IT!

DMack
10-18-2006, 09:13 AM
BUMP

Anyone?

CGTalk Moderation
10-18-2006, 09:13 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.