PDA

View Full Version : MB7.0 crashing on file open

animatabull
08-25-2006, 10:42 AM
Hey guys, I've got a lot of files that crash MotionBuilder on opening them (they were created by someone else in MB7.0 too). The only way I can get them not to crash is by unchecking loading models into the scene, which is obviously not much use as then there is no character in the scene!

Any ideas what might be causing this?

Thanks, chris

Favian001
09-09-2006, 09:36 PM
Usuually I find out one of three things:

1)my models geometry changed somewhere down the pipeline in Maya/XSI without me being informed of it.
2)I managed to open a file from a newer version of MB, say 7.5 ?
3)When the file was exported/saved it was corrupt to begin with (which sucks)

I'm guessing it would be number one if your importing from Maya/XSI or whatever package. If so you are probably still getting the joint heirarchy(skeleton) showing up. I would save that out as an .fbx , re-import my model without any .fbx data on it (uncharacterized) and apply. If its just openeing from Maya or whatever its not a big deal if you have multiple versions of the character. Usually exporting your model from Maya or whatever with corrupt geometry will pop up a warning saying the vert's have been changed...
that may not be your problem but at least I had a crack at it, let me know if thats it or be more specific so we can solve this.

animatabull
09-12-2006, 08:57 AM
Hey Favian, thanks very much for replying.

Yeh I'm guessing the mesh is corrupt in some way, although i can import these files back into maya and the animation and mesh is there. They were created by and work for my colleague also using mb7.0. (am waiting to hear back from atm)

I've tried exporting my rigged character in Tstance to MB and characterizing it which is fine until I import any of the anim files, they kinda scale up the skeleton non uniformly.

One thing I have been able to do is import the anims onto my other 'alien' character to work on in MB, but then that take wont open on the human character in maya because the prefixing is different.

Another thing is that some of the files that do load up ok end up crashing on reopening them if saved over/or with new name.:sad:

anyway, I'll keep digging :)

CGTalk Moderation
09-12-2006, 08:57 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.