PDA

View Full Version : Help with the process called "checking verticles" - whatever that means...

StefanStavrev
08-25-2006, 09:03 AM
Hey guys

I am watching Vilppu's video where he says (while drawing) ... aha , checking verticles...

I am total 2d beginner so please someone explain to me what it means and how is it done?

Cris-Palomino
08-25-2006, 10:34 AM
Not sure which video you are watching...but I am guessing it may be "verticals"...something that is straight up and down (opposite would be horizontal). I'm just guessing.

Cris

StefanStavrev
08-25-2006, 04:33 PM
hey bro :)

I know what verticals are :)

How do you check verticals in an image? That was my question...

Cris-Palomino
08-25-2006, 05:40 PM
First, I was trying to see if maybe you misunderstood the word.

Secondly, as I said, I don't know the context in which the word is used because I don't know what you're watching. If this is something on the web, you could point us to it or write out a bit more of what he is saying.

Verticals could mean a means of measurement if you are working with a grid or perspective. It could mean checking alignments. It may have a subtle difference in meaning depending on how he was using the term.

When you ask a very general question, it's best if we can narrow it down and you can do that by providing more information.

(BTW, I could swear my avatar clearly shows I'm not a "bro"....I think.)

Cheers,
Cris

StefanStavrev
08-25-2006, 07:17 PM
Ok thanks :)

By the way, as far as i know Cris is a male's name.Guess i was wrong :D.I thought you are "bro" :) , beacuse of the name and anyway... Lot of bros on forum put girls as their avatars...

Cris-Palomino
08-26-2006, 12:12 AM
Well, you're right about that. :) Cris is short for Cristina.

Can you get the link to the video you looked at?

Cris

Eurayo
09-22-2006, 07:11 PM
As you work on fleshing out the figure, it helps to lightly draw vertical lines on your drawing through easy to locate surface landmarks and the outermost points of the figure. Then you can check alignments and accuracy against the live model by eye by holding a vertical stick or your pencil at arm's length. It helps me to avoid making assumptions and simply draw what we see. I also use horizontal lines the same way as I layout the figure.

Another tool you might consider making is a little composition window (approx. 2 in x 3 in) out of cardboard to the proportions of your drawing paper and using it as a measuring tool. Some artists even add a vertical and horizontal wire to divide the window into equal quadrants. It helps not only with seeing horizontal and vertical relationships, but also with finding intersting ways of cropping and composing your drawing.

Again, this is a way to improve seeing and accuracy, but you're drawing or sketching with a gestural, expressive line, it might interrupt your flow to draw verticals and horizontal guidelines. When I work gesturaly and want to employ this technique, I check with my hand or drawing tool and make adjustments as I work.

CGTalk Moderation
09-22-2006, 07:11 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.