PDA

View Full Version : Java 3D vs Open GL

Pixelated
08-24-2006, 10:30 PM
Hi guys I want to develop an application, to create, manipulate and render 3D objects. I have been read about Java 3D and Open GL, but I want to know if anyone have been worked with this tools and can recommend one or the other. My idea is start to develop in Java 3D cause I've more knowledge about Java.

Thanks in advance.

billrobertson42
08-27-2006, 06:25 PM
You can do open gl in java with jogl.

difference between the two is that java 3d is more like a framework where things like event loops and such are done for you, whereas jogl is just a wrapper for opengl which does none of that for you.

Pixelated
08-29-2006, 03:53 AM
You can do open gl in java with jogl.

difference between the two is that java 3d is more like a framework where things like event loops and such are done for you, whereas jogl is just a wrapper for opengl which does none of that for you.

Thanks bill. Yeah I read about jogl, but I wasn't pretty sure if this was the better solution. I'm going on with Java3D

If anyone have expirence on that and want to tell me more I will appreciate

thanks in advance

PS: Oh sorry about my english :)

garphik
08-31-2006, 10:17 AM
I would recommend JOGL,
JOGL's performance is better than java3d.
I think JOGL is easy than java3d, doing that would also make you familiar to OpenGL. Talking about performace it is because of JNI. There are other libraries too like LWJGL, gl4Java ... You can find many games done in JOGL and LWJGL.
eg: Jake2 (http://bytonic.de) a port of Quake2 to java using JOGL, you can look at the performace stats too.

cheers

HollyWoodland
09-12-2006, 09:26 PM
I found Java3D too high level for what I wanted to do - a Recursive Raytracer. I ended up just using Java but the performance was horrendous (admittedly I didn't have a great machine though)

I would recommend either OpenGL (If you dont mind learning a new style) or C++ : better performance and pretty flexible.

billrobertson42
09-13-2006, 06:30 AM
Java does not necessarily equal horrible performance. I've tested rendering the same scenes between jrman (java) and aqsis (c). Both are reyes type renderman renderers, and jrman beat aqsis hands down.

For doing serious 3d though, you will probably want hardware acceleration, and both java3d and jogl provide that assuming your underlying hardware is good enough.

CGTalk Moderation
09-13-2006, 06:30 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.