PDA

View Full Version : Modeling YOURSELF

Sarge-Online
08-24-2006, 09:25 AM
Hey guys,

Long time lurker, first time poster (close enough). :thumbsup:

Anyways, I have a question regarding reference images and modeling. What I want to do is create a 3D model of myself and I'm wondering if there are any special techniques or tutorials or things I should be aware of when taking pictures of myself. :p

Currently set up is a tripod, digital camera (with timer) so I figure I'm off to an OK start. I just don't want to get started taking snaps and getting into modeling then later down the track see that my model is screwed because I did a bad job with my reference images.

Hoping that there are people out there that can help out, your insight would be greatly appreciated. :)

jtaddei
08-24-2006, 03:29 PM
my initial thought to modeling yourself (having never done it myself however) would be to get good clear shots of each aspect of yourself in a good front top and side view. When you are posing for your shot make sure your arms are spread out like you are pretending to be an airplane. Most ways i've seen have your palms facing down.

Also for more detailed modeling/texturing i'd advise on getting close up shots for reference of your details parts you plan on modeling them. If they are detailed enough (and you are handy in photoshop) you may be able to use them as your textures as well. Just a thought.

Like I said though, i've never done this myself so I have no real personal experience, but just a thought as to what would work.... there are much more talented professionals on this board that may offer help and (hopefully not) likely say i'm wrong.

p.s. first time poster long time lurker as well.

BobbyB
08-25-2006, 05:00 AM
Hey sarge good to see a post from you, ill post you a procedure for what you want to do when i get a chance.

Cheers

Rob

AKA Big Bad

BobbyB
08-26-2006, 06:54 AM
ok here we go

I see a lot of people start off a model with a Front image and a side image. They load the image into the orthographic views, front and side and model from that.

I dont work this way because your refferance image has perspective. So loading it into an orthograpic view will not be and accrate use of the refferance.

Here is how i do it.

Ill give the example using 3 refferance images but you can more. A front, side and 3/4.

Take the pictures try to keep them about the same distance from the camera. Make sure they all all the same dimentions and name them in a sequence eg pic01,pic02,pic03. Create a new scene in Max and create a camera. Load the sequence of images into the viewport background. When you go through the frames the images will change.

Now comes the hard part.

For the front image place the camera so it will be in a front on position. Then animate the camera on the other images so they are set up in position that relate to your images.

Now getting these images so they line up is that hard part. Let pick a point on the face say the tip of the nose. Create some geometry in the front view that lines up with the front of the nose then go to the side view and move the camera to match your new geometry with the tip on the nose in the side view. Then the same with the 3/4.

Add more points of refferance and continue to adjust the cameras so they line up. In your case all the images will have the same focus. So if you adjust the focus on the make camera to match your images better you should keep it the same for all images.

Im not sure if the lens on a 3d camera actually relates to real world cameras. Id be interested to know how other people match images to a 3d camera. Most of the time for me it just abit of trial and error till im happy all my cameras line up to the images well enough.

Well i think ive rambled enough to get you started

kirigoi
08-29-2006, 05:59 PM
Regarding the perspective issue, things are usually okay if you have access to a camera with a very long focal length lens. Get a tripod, and a friend to help (it's not easy to take photos of yourself when standing 50m from the camera, and it would suck for the camera to be pinched), and stand as far from the camera as possible. A focal length around 125-250mm (or the digital equivalent) will make things an awful lot easier and will stop the bulging face/ small ears effect of many first time modellers' heads.

CGTalk Moderation
08-29-2006, 05:59 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.