PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for Challenge II

Velarion
08-24-2006, 02:39 AM
well, let's talk about Challenge II and your ideas here:beer:

We made ancient mood,maybe we can make some sci fi stuff this time.Any ideas people?

SOE digital
08-24-2006, 05:22 AM
No offence but I can't think of anything more boring than scifi/futuristic mattepaintings.

Maybe we should get together a collection of set/location images and have a vote going to chose ONE image and the challange is to to do a massive set extension for the image. People could submit images from all different locations, styles, periods etc and when one is decided upon then the challangers are free to go from their.
Means we can create any period, mood etc our imaginations can think of...all from one single source image.

Does this make any sense?

Velarion
08-24-2006, 11:29 AM
well sounds good. There were a similar challenge of pluginz.com but I couldn't participate in that because of my lack of time. Creating a set extension and change the original image sounds very very good:thumbsup:

jussing
08-24-2006, 11:48 AM
I definitely vote for live action set extension, but I don't think it should be the same picture (variation is key, if you want non-participants to care the least about the contest, and vote), and I don't care if it's present-day, sci-fi, or fantasy, they all rock (potentially). :)

I'm thinking something along the lines of:

A photo of a hut (or other primitive or ancient place to live), extend with the full hut city.
Extend an exterior photo with a dangerous canyon or cliff drop.
Period-piece: Using a photo of your city, create a matte painting of the city 100 years ago.
etc....

Cheers,
- Jonas

SOE digital
08-24-2006, 01:48 PM
The only reason I think that we should all use ONE image is so the entries are not judged on the original set piece but on the matte work.
If someone just extends a simple urban city and then another person extends a period photo to a massive matte of ancient Jerusalam or something then people may tend to vote for the more dramatic matte which really isn't a fair judging of technique.
I dunno, just my two quid.

jussing
08-24-2006, 02:30 PM
If someone just extends a simple urban city and then another person extends a period photo to a massive matte of ancient Jerusalam or something then people may tend to vote for the more dramatic matte which really isn't a fair judging of technique.
I dunno, just my two quid.

You could have the same theme ("Jerusalem 100 ad.", "castle", "present-day urban" or whatever), but still use different photos. :)

Cheers,
- Jonas

SOE digital
08-24-2006, 04:00 PM
Fair enough. Well maybe we should organise a huge collection of images and we can narrow it down to like half a dozen choices.
Sounds good to me.

jussing
08-24-2006, 04:34 PM
Personally I don't really care, as I'm not half the painter needed to participate, I'm just sharing my theories. :)

Cheers,
- Jonas

Velarion
08-25-2006, 10:16 AM
yes maybe some restrictions may be made this time on photos.But I don't want to see one photo like pluginz.com's contest either.As you said the theme can be the same but there can be lots of base photo to choose from or we can choose whatever we like from our own library.

SOE digital
08-25-2006, 11:43 AM
Fair enough. Well I guess the next step is to start collecting photos perhapse?

JJASSO
08-25-2006, 05:39 PM
I've been thinking about the next challenge, I think atlantis was a great one because everyone was free to decide how it should look and what elements they wanted to create, this time I want to attach more for a set extension one, this will be interesting because it will have to be totally photorealistic , and based on lighting that's already set in a real photo,with this training over a real image the eye will be better each day analizing how the elements should be integrated . now the problem is the real photo source and what theme could be
what do you think guys?

chinnha
08-25-2006, 08:41 PM
I think james your right, there are different types in matte. we should go through each one.

And I dont think anybody will refuse if client need some specific type of work!

so go ahead ! facing unexpected is the real challange!:thumbsup:

SOE digital
08-26-2006, 04:30 AM
Cool, now I guess we can start getting the ball rolling.
Theme? Hmmm...theme? Hmmm.

No ideas.

Velarion
08-26-2006, 11:11 AM
well,,I love creating fantasy,sci-fi or historical mattes.It can be photo of an ancient temple or wall of an ancient temple,roman or egyptian etc. Then we can create lots of things from them. The same ancient look version, or it's original undemolished version, the year 3000 version etc. that's just my opinion though,I just don't like creating "real" environments like old garages,nowaday cities..the mattes that which Dylan Cole says "invisible matte paintings" about them.

christian108
08-27-2006, 06:14 AM
My feeling is the more photoreal and practical the better. This would be quite a switch from the last which was very loose and open to interpretation. To make it more practical and photoreal is actually in my opinion, much harder then a fantasy or imaginary matte and such. I am in the mood for a good cityscape i feel.

Christian

SOE digital
08-27-2006, 07:41 AM
Personally I'm dying to do a kick ass period matte. Something biblical maybe.

jussing
08-27-2006, 12:24 PM
How about this:

Egypt discovered!

I saw some awesome drawings once (can't remember where) of discoverers finding now well-known ancient Egyptian landmarks (Abu Simbel, Karkan etc.), still half buried in sand. They were a wonderful realization of how places we know so well have looked completely different a mere hundred years ago, before the sand was cleared and tourists and souvenir salesmen added.

------------------------------------

So, I propose a challenge where your are to use a photo or plate of people (discoverers) in the sand, and add an egyption location (fictional or real), that is being discovered this very instant.

------------------------------------

What say you?

Cheers,
- Jonas

Velarion
08-27-2006, 03:02 PM
hmm egyptian theme is perfect but the plot about discovery in sand is a very restricted theme.I mean the concept is very narrow I'm afraid there may be a whole bunch of similar paintings. We can think something more about this egyptian theme:thumbsup:

SOE digital
08-27-2006, 03:23 PM
Hows about something Roman?
Or Greek? Or Gaulish?

Only problem with doing something egyption is I can see just a lot of paintings of sand. I mean...really...sand is boring.

JJASSO
08-27-2006, 09:49 PM
I agree with elliot, something roman could be kickass, just imagine rome after the big fire, ( no fire now but everything is burned, destroyed and the sky is anouncing the drama of the destruction)

Velarion
08-27-2006, 10:13 PM
make it historical or fantasy and I'm ok :) roman would be good.But there were lots of roman&greek like paintings in Atlantis challenge.We may make some different stuff this time. Or a different theme in roman theme?theme in theme.Like "destruction" in Rome or "collapse" in Rome? or disaster? We can be more free in that. Some may make flood in Rome other can hit an asteroid and so on..what do you think?

Artbot
08-28-2006, 10:07 PM
While channel surfing last night I caught the ending of the execrable "Die Another Day". There was some kind of bad-guys hideout building made of ice. How about going the opposite of sand and do some kind of fantasy structure made from ice. Could be a palace or an igloo or anything in-between.

Maybe I'll actually have time to enter this time. (Yeah, right!)

SOE digital
08-29-2006, 03:05 AM
The problem (and this is strictly my opinion) is that things like ice and sand and snow don't offer much of a challange. They're some of the easiest elements to paint and mix and match.

thyn
08-29-2006, 09:22 AM
Hello guys
First i think you`ve made some great work for Atlantis challange ! (Admirations to winers)
What do you think of "Wonders of the world" theme for the second challange.
I mean something like discovering of new wonder ... or an old one ?

SOE digital
08-29-2006, 10:25 AM
oooo nice idea :) Pretty much ties together the other ideas we've had so far.
I like it.

Velarion
08-29-2006, 01:11 PM
yes I like it too it's a perfect idea! let's make a new wonder of the world!:) :bounce:

Squibbit
08-29-2006, 01:48 PM
yes I like it too it's a perfect idea! let's make a new wonder of the world!:) :bounce:

yep i like this version of the idea

GonzaloGolpe
08-29-2006, 02:53 PM
Good idea,thyn!:thumbsup:

SOE digital
08-29-2006, 03:10 PM
Awsome! Now...to make it 'official'

Artbot
08-29-2006, 06:27 PM
What do you think of "Wonders of the world" theme for the second challange.
I mean something like discovering of new wonder ... or an old one ?

Oh, that's a much better idea than my ice building. Although this new "wonder" could be made from ice....hmmmm.

Didin't they do this a few years ago on some other 3D site? Regardless, it's still a good idea. I especially like the thought of depicting a new, previously unknown structure, monument or geographic feature. Not so interested in doing any of the "known" Seven Wonders of the World.

MPavel
08-29-2006, 09:56 PM
Damn good idea! There are so many things going out of this theme! You can do what ever you want actually ) You create something INCREDIBLE and call it a "Wonder of the world"!! ))

But in the other hand it`s really hard.. coz someone sees the Wonder as a Great Statue for instance, the other sees it as a huge crack in the middle of the desert.. and so on. So we can get absolutely different types of images that will be hard to judge (if you follow me)

I`m in, dudes!!!

Stefan-Morrell
08-30-2006, 07:00 AM
I've been thinking about the next challenge, I think atlantis was a great one because everyone was free to decide how it should look and what elements they wanted to create, this time I want to attach more for a set extension one, this will be interesting because it will have to be totally photorealistic , and based on lighting that's already set in a real photo,with this training over a real image the eye will be better each day analizing how the elements should be integrated . now the problem is the real photo source and what theme could be
what do you think guys?

I would also like to see one of these matte challenges focus on set extensions,where we all start with the same plate/footage.or even create our own

I'd also love to see some animation being part of the challenge..I regard mattes as being for film so making some moving images would seem appropiate.
whether that's camera projection,animating layers or full on 3d scenes..it would be great to see some matte challenges that focus on what a matte is actually used for,aswell as the techniques used to create them

Cheers
Stefan

SOE digital
08-30-2006, 07:30 AM
I disagree completely about having animated mattes in a matte painting challange. That's more of an FX Wars kind of thing.
Sure I'll probably do an animated version of my matte like always but I don't think it should be included as part of the competition.

christian108
08-31-2006, 01:04 AM
I agree with the set extension. Either that or something very strictly themed. Say perhaps based on a movie and such or maybe take a matte painting for inspiration and do something like it. Animated matte painting is a great challenge as well, more and more i have heard that this is what the professional matte painting industry is looking for in those who are seeking a job. Roman or time based is much too loose and has too many interpretations. This should be something where you can say its right on or it doesnt work.

christian

Velarion
08-31-2006, 07:53 PM
I disagree about the camera projected matte challenge too. However set extension would be good. I definitely loved the idea about wonder of the world by the way.

RiKToR
08-31-2006, 10:43 PM
Wonders of the World would be a good theme but I feel that it should be limited to Wonders of the Ancient World and these (most ruins or less now) painted when they were in there prime. If we did wonders of the world ancient or current, it would be too damn easy for me to drive 3 hours north and snap shots of the grand canyon. Likewise for anyone else who already has photos.

As far as 3d projection, I think it would be good matte artisit to know how to do that, but as far as a requirement... alot of matte artist dont have 3d knowledge or a program to make that possible.

I also think that common production mattes, though not galmorous like full extablishing shots, need to be added into mix as far as challenges go; such as set extensions.

CodeNothing
09-01-2006, 08:57 AM
I'd like to see a constant plate, but open interpitation. The consistant element is good, and will keep people from making 'illustrations' rather than mattes. The only problem is if you narrow it down to something like 'wonders of the world' you will loose a lot of participation.

I'd prefer we do a topic like 'Awe inspiring' or something. We use a forground plate and just let people do what they want in the back. They can add more people or props in the forground as well, but artists must decide what this guy is looking at and whats around him.

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/6537/ideabp3.jpg

we could also do things in forground like rooftops, ships, a crowd of people... Like taking a good shot of a crowded train station and extending it. You could change the train station to an air ship station, space ship station, watercraft station, or leave it trains and make it far more grand than it was originaly. Or far more run down. mabie its in a war zone and is falling appart.

But I'd vote against deciding a 'subject' rather than a 'theme'

jussing
09-01-2006, 09:31 AM
Unless you want to limit the competition to people's painting skills, I think including camera projection would be awesome, as it is such an important part of modern matte painting.

- Jonas

everlite
09-01-2006, 10:31 AM
Hey,

I prefer something as close to a real world project as possible, i don't think a full blown fantastic scene is what matte painters get by the day. More like set extensions and the like. Perhaps take a close up pic of a castle, just an average holiday pic, then the challenge would be to extend the image 20 or so feet to the left and right and take it back three hundred years.

Part of the brief should also be to create a mood, instill a feeling in the viewer. Ie the director might say, in the next scene we're going to see the villian for the first time, or something, not sure. This might also call for a night switch.

A cave system, i want you to build some kind of research station. (just came to mind http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/icons/icon11.gif)

A cruise ship, the brief says this ship needs to be taken out of the water, turned into a village and set on a beach! (maybe not :-)

Seaside village - take it back three hundred years and take it forward three hundred years ... actually, that's not a bad idea. Take a location, ie just a basic town street and the brief might be to illustrate how it looked two - three hundred years ago, and how you think it might look two - three hundred years in the future. This allows for both sides of the coin.

Camera projection would be good for people to learn, though might limit people.

Well that's my imput.

Cheers - Dave.

CGTalk Moderation
09-01-2006, 10:31 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.