PDA

View Full Version : Blizzard COMP: Warrior Shrine

EvilBlah
08-23-2006, 08:31 PM
So here is what I was thinking for the Diablo category. It is gonna be another kind of shrine. This one gives you damage amplifiers and armor buffs. Basically its the shrine that lets you destroy even more stuff, even faster... I will be adding a few more weapons and pieces of armor but for right now, here it is.

C&C welcome!

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m114/evilblah82/COMP_shrine.jpg

ElFuego
08-23-2006, 08:49 PM
Looks really good. It's quite small prop (game-wise) but I like seeing these micro modelings. I'm not sure about the weapons tho. They seem like they are from the different era than the shield. One question about the swords: I haven't played diablo but isn't it more high-fantasy and less "final fantasy?" :D correct me if I'm wrong and the diablo weapondesign is like in your model (then I apolocise and humbly take my bad comments back) :>

But solid work nevertheless! Textures are good!

Archael
08-23-2006, 08:53 PM
Hi,

I really like your textures, they work really well, and you've used the polygons very efficiently. The modelling looks pretty solid. Can you afford any more polys? If so I think you should add more to the shield so the edge is less jagged.

I haven't played Diablo for a long time, but weren't the weapons more ordinary looking than yours? The sword in the top looks quite futuristic to me. The handle looks far too thin as well.

Also I don't like the way the smaller weapons (daggers?) are stuck into the rock, it just seems very unnatural. Perhaps with more weapons and armour it will look better.

nibbuls
08-23-2006, 09:07 PM
The textures rock, but I'm not sold on the shield's metal. Too red for my taste.

EvilBlah
08-23-2006, 09:30 PM
Hey all! Thanks for the responses!

ElFuego - You are absolutely right about the weapon era! I just built those swords a long time ago and just wanted to use them! LoL! I will probably use different swords as I build the others. I was thinking a Halbred of some kind, maybe a gradius, then a short sword and a claymore. Not really sure on the armor yet. Thanks for the comment though!!

Archael - Ya, I am way under the poly limit. I will be adding a lot more stuff. As far as the shield I really like it this way but since I am way under the polycount I will play around with it and see what I can come up with. I think I have about 3000 Tris to go still!! As far as weapons are concerned check out the comment to ElFuego. =) I am also going to add cracks and dark marks to the stone where the daggers are stuck into it and that should make the angles look better! Thanks for the comments! I appreciate it!

nibbuls - I made it so red because I wanted it to look old and corroded (spelling?). I know that metal starts to pit and flake and I wanted it to seem as if that has been going on for a while and in several layers. Thanks for the comments!

Thanks again guys! I will be back with another update possibly tonight maybe tomorrow. Keep the C&C coming!!

JimmyMac
08-23-2006, 09:37 PM
This is very cool, I could see this in Diablo no problem. I do agree with ElFuego and Archael though. The first thing I think when I see the top sword is Cloud from Final Fantasy. Good work!

Edit ::You must have just posted when I wrote this response::

Good stuff. Keep it up! :thumbsup:

EvilBlah
08-28-2006, 08:55 PM
Hey everyone!

JimmyMac - Thanks for the response! LoL, ya, check out the times for when we posted. It's only a few minutes apart!! Thanks for the comments and check out the new post for the sword issue/fix.

Here is an update. I changed the weapons around and started texturing them. I also did a little work on the stone. Let me know what you think. THANKS!!

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m114/evilblah82/beauty_shrine_02.jpg

[[!EDIT!]] I just looked at the image again and I really don't like the thickness of the Mace/Halbred handle. I think I might thicken this up... y(..)y

Oink
08-28-2006, 09:08 PM
Much much better weapons than the first :)

FirstManOnMars
08-29-2006, 03:28 AM
the first weapons were a bit warhammer.. I really like the change, the only thing that bugs a bit is that the mace is so top heavy it would fall over like that. Maybe make the dangerous end pointing down? Or shorten it so leaning like that would be possible.

TimonQ
08-29-2006, 07:43 AM
I'd thicken the woode handle part of the mace too, make it come to the edges of the metal ends.
I'd put the heavy end down too, maybe in front of or behind the axe, with the handle leaning against the axe where it meets the rock. Maybe put some rubble around it too so it looks like it was swung at the shrine.

Have you thought of any sort of lighting scheme for this? Or perhaps creating a normal map to get more detail?

EvilBlah
08-31-2006, 03:44 AM
Thanks for the comments. More to come soon!

Oink - Thanks!

FirstManOnMars - Thanks for the comments! I think I will put the Mace head on the ground. That makes a lot more sense!

TimonQ - That's a great idea also for the thickness! I was planning to thicken it out as well so I think I will do that next. Ya, rubble is in the process but not too much. I was going to make some chips and small pieces scattered everywhere. As far as lighting, not really sure. Probablly will try to match something from Diablo. I don't think I will have time for a normal map though... Thanks for the comments!!

Thanks again everyone!

ElFuego
08-31-2006, 08:09 AM
Me like it! Much better than the previous weapons... grrrreat job!

Oink
08-31-2006, 09:07 AM
Just a thought. Shouldnt it have like some sort of effect on it like the shrines in d2?

Maybe the swords could glow a little or theres a torch next to it or something and when you use the shrine the effect disappears... :)

or my personal fav. Glowing swords and when you use the shrine all weapons disappear.

Dont know if you had any plans like this or its been said already :)

FirstManOnMars
09-03-2006, 09:22 AM
Its the weekend man, here's some encouragement, KEEP GOING!

I cant count the number of projects, big and small, that I walked away from and never finished. Let's see this baby!

CGTalk Moderation
09-03-2006, 09:22 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.