PDA

View Full Version : Objects Along A Spline

charglerode
08-23-2006, 05:49 PM
I want to create a series of rivets for the aircraft I'm modeling and I was curious what methods are available. This is going to be a very detailed high poly model so no bump maps.

Is there a way to shrink wrap a circular spline around the fuselage, that way I could then arrange duplicates along the spline?

Or perhaps there is a way I could extract copies of the verticies along the fuselage and create a spline from those?

williamsburroughs
08-23-2006, 08:28 PM
Or perhaps there is a way I could extract copies of the verticies along the fuselage and create a spline from those?

Just select your edges along the fuselage and select the following: Structure>Edit Spline>Edge To Spline to get your spline path...you'll then need to use something like MoGraph or Renato's Path Deformer (or C4D's built in Duplicate along spline function) to align/assign your rivets to your newly generate path.

Hope that helps.

chromecity
08-23-2006, 08:42 PM
Yes, you can use Loop Selection with the Edge Tool to select appropriate edges and then use Edge To Spline (Structure -> Edit Spline -> Edge To Spline) to convert the edge selection to a spline. Then use the Duplicate function in Along Spline mode to handle your replication. (You'll want to use your spline in the Position section and also check Enable Rotation, but leave the Rail Spline field empty).

EDIT: oops - policarpo beat me to it. I was off verifying that I wrote the write stuff. Doh.

CGTalk Moderation
08-23-2006, 08:42 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.