PDA

View Full Version : NetRender Render Quality

pabitel
01-25-2003, 04:56 PM
I was wondering if anyone has extensive experience with NetRender and could attest to whether its multipass feature significantly increases render quality.

nerrazzi
01-26-2003, 02:20 AM
I've seen Net Render on Hash's web site and I've always wondered what it was... never took the time to check it out.

PJC
01-26-2003, 04:39 AM
Multipass is best for motion blur, since it actually renders "X" amount of times to compute motion blur. In effect some of the render boo-boos would get smoothed.

I still use no multi-pass, and double the render size, bring it all into After Effects, shrink down and use the REAL SMART MOTION BLUR plug-in to get the best quality.

- pjc

JoeW
01-26-2003, 05:16 AM
I've done some tests to this affect. I can tell you that if you're using multi-pass rendering in Net Render, the anti-aliasing is miles ahead of the "standard" AA. You also get REAL motion blur, although you pay for it in render times. Here's a link to a little comparison image....

ftp://ftp.hash.com/users/joewllms/tests/NetRender.jpg

JoeW

pabitel
01-26-2003, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by JoeW
I've done some tests to this affect. I can tell you that if you're using multi-pass rendering in Net Render, the anti-aliasing is miles ahead of the "standard" AA. You also get REAL motion blur, although you pay for it in render times. Here's a link to a little comparison image....

ftp://ftp.hash.com/users/joewllms/tests/NetRender.jpg

JoeW

Thanks for the info. I assume you found 9 passes to be the optimal number -- meaning, 10 passes added little or no value.

Does setting passes to 9 increase render time exactly 9X?

JoeW
01-26-2003, 06:28 PM
Actually, you don't have a choice on how many passes other than 5, 9, or 16 (it's been a while - but I'm pretty sure that's what the choices are).

9 times gave good results without going to the next level (16). I'm not sure 16 times would help any more - unless you had some fast moving objects in your scene (or fast camera moves). 5 times was pretty good, but 9 seemed to get rid of ALL of the artifacts.

As far as it increasing it *exactly* 9 times - I don't recall, but it's pretty close to that. It's almost essential to have a network of machines if your scene is very heavy at all....

Joe W

Kevin Sanderson
02-03-2003, 11:49 PM
Steve wrote me back responding to a question about Multipass being taken out in v10 and we learn of some improvement to NetRender coming to v10.5...

"...there are times when Multipass is beneficial, even necessary
(DOF, Motion Blur, multi-light rigs) for those reasons, there will be a
new "pointsampler" renderer in 10.5 that will include Multipass- it's
important to note, that this will be a TRUE multipass renderer, not a
hybrid like it has been in the past"

koon69
02-04-2003, 12:19 AM
Nice! Maybe they are listening. If this new pointsampler works like Steve describes it - may well make the render hit it out of the park! Did he say when 10.5 was due out? Why they took it out in the first place?

Thanks.

Kevin Sanderson
02-04-2003, 12:29 AM
Nope.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.