PDA

View Full Version : Well color me tardy

jdates
01-25-2003, 03:45 PM
Look at this!! An A:M community on CGTalk!!??

Wow, where the hell have I been!?

Anyhew.... I'm a long-time Hash user, and I like what the guys over at Hash have been doing. There are alot of politics that go into any company, and Hash is no different.

I'm glad that A:M has sprouted a voice on this forum.. that's awesome! I hope it continues to grow.

So let me pose a question. WHY do YOU use A:M? I'm curious.

I'll be more active on here now that I know about this channel.
Sheesh I'm daft.

Also, check this out if you haven't seen it.
www.dayoffthedead.com (http://www.dayoffthedead.com) 100% Hash

jdates

Hookflash
01-25-2003, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by jdates
So let me pose a question. WHY do YOU use A:M? I'm curious.

I think many people on this forum are giving A:M a break until Hash can gets it's act together. We want to see improved stability, customer support, documentation, etc. When this happens, my answer to your question will be "Because it's the best character animation package I've ever encountered".

serg2
01-25-2003, 07:52 PM
"Because it's the best character animation package I've ever encountered!"

nerrazzi
01-26-2003, 01:48 AM
It is easy to use. You can create virtually anything you an imagine, whether or not it'll look like what you imagined... well... that's a different story.:curious:

jdates
01-26-2003, 06:54 AM
Now I agree with the above.

Does the "ease of use" and "bad ass animation tools" make up for the shortcomings of the software? (read: lack of flexability, and stability)

I'm thinking that for the price point, the tools compare with the highend software. That is a great attraction am I wrong?

I'm just curious why people use A:M vs. other packages.
Everyone here knows of the limitations with A:M.. so then why use it?

My Fault
01-26-2003, 07:07 AM
I think because not everyone is interested in creating their own Lord of the RIngs complete with photorealistic characters and battlefields with 10,000 fighting orcs. More power to the folks that are, but that just doesn't float my boat.

I was raised on Chuck Jones and Tex Avery and would rather see one piece with a unique style (like Day Off the Dead) then 100 photorealistic faces. Yeah I've seen photorealism with AM, but it excels at the stuff that pushes realism to the side.

Nurb'd
01-26-2003, 07:13 AM
at the time I used it

best thing out for price/performance

My Fault
01-26-2003, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by Nurb'd
at the time I used it

best thing out for price/performance

If we keep this up Nurb'd there gonna have to rename this forum after us. It's 3am where you are, get some sleep man. You don't want to be tired tomorrow when you have to celebrate the Bucs beating the Raiders ;)

Just curious Jeff, but what do you think of the new interface in AM? Is "Day Off the Dead" being done in v10 or 8.5? I love the new relationships and smartskin, but boy you can tell a programmer (sorry Randy) is behind the interface and not an animator.

Hash has kicked butt in the past by giving you an insane amount of power in animating and keeping the interface uncluttered at the same time. Better then everyone IMHO. They haven't gotten everything right for sure, but what they did get right...woo howdy!

Nurb'd
01-26-2003, 07:36 AM
I am allowed to sleep? :p

soon.....

Houdini is giving me a headache

jdates
01-26-2003, 02:38 PM
Just curious Jeff, but what do you think of the new interface in AM? Is "Day Off the Dead" being done in v10 or 8.5? I love the new relationships and smartskin, but boy you can tell a programmer (sorry Randy) is behind the interface and not an animator.

Well I don't know there. I've recently been using XSI and I was surprised how much the interface of XSI is like V10. Or visa versa.
I agree v10 is daunting, and I agree there are some fundamental things that need to be thrown in for us animators. But you should take a look at how XSI handles the same problems.

As for Randy, yeah that guy rocks! Too bad he's not on the interface or features for now. He's having to re-write v10 for the Mac. (that's great for Mac users!!) Bad for A:M. He said give him 6 months and he'll be back on the interface!

As for what we did "Day OFf" with... We started with v8.5 and just never moved out. I've used 8.5 in commercial production and have found it quite robust. (I can hear billy laughing) I've been able to do mostly what I have wanted for video and working at this film resolution hasn't been a problem. Rendering just takes time, but we've been pleased with the quality. I haven't attempted to produce anything in v10. I anxious to start using it.

Hash has kicked butt in the past by giving you an insane amount of power in animating and keeping the interface uncluttered at the same time. Better then everyone IMHO. They haven't gotten everything right for sure, but what they did get right...woo howdy!

Well, if you remember version 3? that interface wasn't friendly. the tools were in thier infancy.

GIve it time. My suggestion is to start a thread of "how to improve the interface" and lets have a discussion. It's real easy to walk it over our concensus to Randy and say when you get some time make it do this like this, and look like this.

He's always been real receptive to me.
In fact I'll start the thread right now.

jdates

Squeakypics
01-26-2003, 05:02 PM
I started using it because I had previously tried Lightwave and Messiah and found it really difficult trying to learn the two at once. The rigging in Messiah seemed too technical for my poor Wittle artistic bwain. The thing that gave me the push to AM was the price - It was cheaper than the LW upgrade alone.
I was also impressed with the character work done with AM (as seen on their site) which was the sort of thing I am interested in. (LW was fine for inorganics but that is kingd of dull after the umteenth spaceship of fling logo)
Once I got AM I found the splines a really logical thing to work with, I mean, what you see is what you get and they feel really obvious to someone like myself who draws for a living.
I started with AM2002 and have to say that my one learning project so far was a frustrating tale of crashes and corrupt models BUT even so I ended up with a rigged character which was way further than I had ever got with LW. Come to think of it I also quite like AM's interface.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.