PDA

View Full Version : My first post is unfortunately a dumb animation question...

jack516615265615
08-22-2006, 07:41 PM
...or maybe it's a rigging question. I'm trying to figure out exactly how you make something (a person, for example) move. More specifically, what should be parented (or constrained) where? I have IK handles on my limbs, and locators point constrained to them, but to which object should the locator and or IK handle be parented? To the root of my skeleton? To the body of my character? To something else altogether?

In trying to get my guy to fly, I keyframed the root of my skeleton's translate attributes. It made his body move, except for his appendages that had IK handles. So, should I parent these to something, or do I actually have to set these for every keyframe as well?

I'm trying to make this post brief, but if my question is unclear, let me know and I'll try to clarify.

Thanks in advance for any help!

- Justin

eek
08-23-2006, 12:46 AM
All i can tell you is that learning this stuff takes a long time and its case of trial and error, well certainly for me anyway.

General practice is this: bones > rig <> skin. Knowing what works with what basically takes time, coupled with the fact you may have to break into maths for certain solutions it can get complicated. Id first off understand the basics of controllers, parenting, transformations first.

CGTalk Moderation
08-23-2006, 12:46 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.