PDA

View Full Version : Locking movement in some axes?

Animatom
08-22-2006, 05:57 PM
Please, is there a way to lock movement of some object just in some axis? For example, if I want a cube to be movable in x and y but not in z axis? This must be something easy but...
Thanks.

chellescreations
08-22-2006, 11:56 PM
This only works for objects that aren't part of the control rig because the rig will pretty much override whatever you tell it to do. If someone else knows how to lock part of the control rig, I'd love to hear how to do it too.

Select what you want to lock, then go to your properties window. There's a DOF option. You can lock rotations, translations, and scale by whichever axis you want. For translations you'll have to enter in whatever value you want it locked at (it's current translations) or it will default to 0, 0, 0.

Hope this helps!

Animatom
08-23-2006, 09:58 AM
Ah, DOF... Yes.
Look, some people told me that Autodesk are the worst company regarding customer support and MotionBuilder community are the most non responsive and unhelpful. You prove me this is not the case.
Thanks a lot.

chellescreations
08-23-2006, 04:04 PM
Hey, no problem. I'm just glad I could help. I've been using the program since Jan and I've gotten plenty of help on this site and 3D Buzz, so I like to try to return the favor when I can. I think the MB forums are just a bit slower than the Maya ones because there's less users.

Anyway...good luck!

CGTalk Moderation
08-23-2006, 04:04 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.