PDA

View Full Version : Goro / Mortal Kombat

Gabe
08-22-2006, 05:44 AM
Started this yesterday, so far it's just the base mesh with flat colors on the texture map.

Goal...

I'm hoping to reach marketing quality with this model, so I can use it for my demo reel.

I plan to Model, unwrap, texture, skin, rig and animate it.

I'll be using zbrush for most of the details, then use normal mapping for the low poly model.

Programs: 3Dmax 8, Zbrush 2, Photoshop, Painter.

I'm going for a pretty realistic / fantasy style.

Any and all critiques are welcome.

Thanks!

Gabe
08-22-2006, 05:46 AM
Here is the quick sketch I made for the lay out.

jesuisankit
08-22-2006, 06:37 AM
Hey man.. so far so good... Waiting for further updates.... The sketch is really nice..

Best of luck.

Gabe
08-22-2006, 07:09 AM
Something that just came to mind.

This is the first model I will use normal mapping on.

With the UV lay out I used, I have a few parts that are mirrored and overlaid.

Like I have all the hands, on one patch.

Both feet on one patch

Part of the back of the head mirrored.

and so on...

Will this mess up my normal maps? Do I need to separate the left from the right, or can I just edit my UVmap in the W Axis?

Have the Left hands on negative, and Right hands on positive?

I think this is possible, but I'm not too clear on it.

urgaffel
08-22-2006, 09:51 AM
You can just select one of the mirrored parts and move them 1 unit in the uvw unwrapper to clear it up (for example from 0.2 to 1.2). Although some people suggest that you save a copy and then scale down one of the mirrored parts to a dot and keep them within the 0-1 range (inside the box so to speak). So far I haven't had any problems with moving the uvs 1 unit off and then back again after normalmap rendering but it's good to know of both ways :)

benclark
08-22-2006, 10:02 AM
thats wierd I was just thinking the other day that this would be a cool character to model

I havent played Mortal Kmobat in a while but I seem to remember that this guy was a lot more bulky across the shoulders. There was more width to his torso.

Gabe
08-22-2006, 11:06 AM
Oh don't worry.....he's gonna get big as hell once I start on zbrush. :thumbsup:

Something closer to this figure.

-----------
(edit)

Small update on the model.

I added a tongue, nail topology, connected the ponytail wrap and added some hair to the back of his head.

xbiten
08-22-2006, 11:19 AM
hey gabe! keep up the good work. This can turn out great! my only crit is it seems that you have used alot of tris on the hands that can be optimized. ohh and on the normalmap-issue; I suppose you generate your normalmap on only one side of the model then mirror?
Cheers!

Gabe
08-22-2006, 08:19 PM
Spent like a half hour tweaking him in Zbrush.

Massed out the major forms and changed his proportions.

Widened, elongated the torso and made the arms and legs a bit longer.

Gabe
08-22-2006, 08:26 PM
woops double post

benclark
08-23-2006, 09:21 AM
Thats way cool now

You've got the wieght of the character perfect. Keep up the Zbrush work, this is looking great

Gabe
08-30-2006, 04:43 AM
I decided to start from scratch again, I didn't like the problems I was gonna have to deal with before, so...

I redid the UV's on the base mesh

Changed the topology in some places

changed his trunks to Mortal Kombat 1 style.

added individual teeth and nails

Changed his proportions again

and laid some basic colors down

Xen0m0rph
08-30-2006, 08:09 PM
The details are really nice. The hands distract me from the rest of the piece though. They feel as if they are a little on the small side. His arms are huge but his hands just don't seem to fit with the scale of his arms. The hands on the statue look large enough to crush a man's skull, and they have a larger look than the forearm. Good work overall though, It's coming along nicely.

dpizzle
08-31-2006, 04:04 AM
i agree about the hands being too small - they should be a lot bigger

other than that, it's looking really good.
the detail in his muscles is great

Gabe
08-31-2006, 04:42 AM
I see what you mean, I'll have to make the hands bigger.

a-gomez
09-03-2006, 03:22 PM
more of a support post really like the model good anatomy especially on the back looks convincing, I like. hope you up date the model with larger hands.

Gabe
09-04-2006, 02:58 AM
Here's a little something I did last night for fun.

http://home.comcast.net/~gabe687/practice-face.jpg

Gabe
09-05-2006, 08:40 AM
Small update...

Enlarged the hands and feet, added a some detail to them and deflated the pecks a bit.

a-gomez
09-08-2006, 05:54 PM
I always liked goro in mortal kombat :) are you gonna rig him? cause it would be awesome to see him animated...sitting at a desk with two keyboards.... ok well thats all i have.

Gabe
09-08-2006, 11:34 PM
Yeah, I'll be rigging him.

HHH316
02-03-2007, 11:42 PM
Man!!! That Goro looks awesome dude. Definately one of the best characters in the game.

Gabe
02-04-2007, 05:37 AM
Thanks, too bad I wasn't able to finish the model.

The files became corrupt, even the back up files.

This is as far as I got on it

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/38927484/?qo=7&q=by%3Agabe687&qh=sort%3Atime+-in%3Ascraps

I'd have to start from scratch again and I haven't felt like it...

Mainly because I'm working on not doing existing game related work anymore. Focusing on original creations.

I was doing stuff that Midway works on, to try and get a job with them, trying to relate, but I've come to learn that's the opposite of what they want to see.

I'm focusing more on fine art and original stuff now to see if that works.

Below are a couple models I did a few days ago.

very different from what I usually go for.

CGTalk Moderation
02-04-2007, 05:37 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.