PDA

View Full Version : Races of Middle Earth - Character - theSEL

SEL
01-25-2003, 11:43 AM
Hey all,

well I havent been able to do any challenges here for awile now, for ive been trying to complete the short me and a friend are working on. But this challenge was just too good to be true and had a long end date, so im in. But instead of 3d, im going to dab with my traditional 2d routes on this challenge. I will only get to work on it in the wee bits of the mornings, I draw pretty fast so this may be finished quicker then I think,

So far Ive just sketched out the character, and added a little detail around the head area.

The Story: Race called Goarcs, they are the high mountain cave dwellers that protect another secret. They abide by no outsiders rule, and are never seen, but are heard of. Each possess the eye of Nimbous, giving them passage through the blistering winds. The secret they protect must never be allowed to escape.

The rest will come up through the drawn piece.

chaO!

azazel
01-25-2003, 01:15 PM
Head looks great, what's this secret;) ?

Gamoron
01-25-2003, 03:46 PM
Nice start. I hope you have time to finish it.:beer:

Araval
01-26-2003, 10:40 AM
Hi
Very good concept... I like that story:applause:
Also sketch is fine... is impressive...Especially head.
I wait for finished work:thumbsup:
Greetz

SEL
01-26-2003, 11:53 PM
Hey all,

well my mouse hands were getting a little figidy for awile from 3d, so I decided to work a little on the character. I just added a little more detail on the body and started blocking out a background, im slowly making my way down to the bottom. The creature he is sitting on will soon come alive once I get to it. Thanks for your replys.

azazel- No secret! Just a couple HB and 2H mechanical pencils, and hrmmm.. well, I always start out with a sketch, then go in with detail. The biggest thing ive learned from doing art is the piece is only as good as the story. So the pose is critical. I always spend the most time trying to convey what the creature is thinking feeling etc. through his pose. Detail comes next. Hopefully after this is done, I will have done my job, its too bad I dont have a wacom tablet though cous Ide love to see it colored..

Gamoron- thanks, I should since we still have a month to go. I saw your piece too, looks great!

Araval- thanks for checking out the thread! hope to finish soon..

I threw in an update for you guys below... I had to compress it since it was too big, so the quality dropped some. sorry!

wildsheepchase
01-27-2003, 01:17 AM
This is a great concept! You're rendering with the pencil is awesome. Are you drawing this over a piece of paper that has a watercolor wash? There's some interesting color variations going on. :D

Tommy Lee
01-27-2003, 08:58 AM
Great start dude! Excellent Pencilwork.
Wait for more:drool:

Cheerz:beer:

Tommy Lee

SEL
01-29-2003, 07:37 AM
Sorry for the late reply, I actually doodled some more on the piece here at 3AM in the morning. I decided the way the piece was coming out, I might as well through in a mini me drawing these characters within the scene. Sorry if you guys think it may bring down the piece, but I thought that in the back empty spott there, instead of a few dead bodies or whatever, ide draw myself at a young age doing what I do now. :P , as far as the foot, it seems a little cartoonish for the piece, so I may just go semi realistic on it, we'll see how things go when I have more time to work...

wildsheepchase - thanks for the reply, I sometimes do the water color wash first, but only if I know im going to ink it. With this piece, since this is a CG challenge "CG" the main word, and penciled, I used the old trusty photoshop to allow me to do an overlay over the piece to give it that water color painterly look, many 3d artists do this, thought I would do it in 2d also. It came out pretty nice, so I kept it.

Tommy Lee- thanks man, im glad this challenge is a month long cous I really dont get much time to work, if I have the chance, I will color it... we'll see...

thanks for the replys, your guys work here inspired me to jump in with you. Its great doing 2d instead of 3d for a change.. :P

P.S. Sorry, i had to crop the piece since I have a small scanner!
http://www.discoverliving.com/shaun/lotr_goarc4.jpg

Gamoron
01-29-2003, 02:20 PM
Looking good Sel. One small crit. Why the finely shaped arrows on the elbow plate? If these guys are really fine craftsmen, thats cool, but if they are similar to orcs, maybe it would be rougher looking. The details are making this picture. Very cool.

SEL
01-29-2003, 06:02 PM
Gamoron - hey, well, the story was a bit brief, so its hard for you guys to see what is exactly going on in my head without a full clear story like Lord of The Rings and the background, people, and scenery where they live. So I guess I will explain better what is going through my head:

Well first, the story above is the short concept for the character, the beast the boarc is sitting on is his pet, it obeys and follows like a loyal dog, only bigger! The eye on the right hand is the eye of nimbus which allows the creatures safe passage through te upper lands and cold skies of the high mountains. They are a superior race, like the land elves, but they are more fable meaning, are heard of like dragons or bigfoot, but no one has seen or spoken with them, so you think.... They destroy and vanish the ones that look for them or hunt them as people still hunt for bigfoot even though we think it doesnt exist. As all treasure seakers, people look for this secret they hide or heard that can change the way the people live and conquer. These species were made the task to guard and watch over this secret by the higher order of spirits. A magnificent kingdom is through the tunnels of these caves, one of fantasy and beauty. The Goarcs are the powerful guards that watch the entrance and watch over the secret within. They are pure hearted, and know their role, meaning not stupid at all, yet are very ugly and given their own superiority based on their rank. They carry the armor of truth, and robe of enlightenment which I will eventually show. The top piece of the armor is taken off as well as his helmet. I tried to convey his exaustion of his task at hand and tried to show detail of the body,. He has the never ending job of protecting this untold land. The ball to his right is the way of speaking to the elders of the land, sort of like a wacky talkie! He is injured from an attack in which someone(s) found the way to their kingdom, all are dead, but maybe one still lives, and that is the story behind them, or atleast what was going through my head when I first drew this. I really didnt want to give the whole thing away because someone can really run away with the idea if they want, but just wanted to explain it more clearly so you can understand the piece better. With art, by really looking at the piece and not just the detail and creating your own story is what makes art so amazing, as Ive stated, its not finished nor close to being finished, plus, now that ive added mini me in their drawing it doesnt change at all. The piece will still hold the same merit and value of story and character, only difference is that I am conveying it is art in which is being created.. I hope this explains everything better. Thanks for the C& C btw....

Virtuoso
01-31-2003, 08:22 AM
I must say "the sel" that is one FANTASTIC piece of "ART"............Wonderful backstory only brings the overall beauty and intense creations more to life.I love it,it's superior sketch work and design is totally top notch. There is good,very good,great work,but this to me is Fantastic work. :love: :applause: :thumbsup:

I have a story planned for the challenge too that I hope will convey my art as well,I too am a strong believer of storylines that back the art.:thumbsup:

Just want to say again,it's beyond great,I really love it.I have folders of art of great work and a small folder of elite work,your's goes into the elite folder.Thanks for the story and the fantastic art.:beer:

Steveyola
01-31-2003, 07:27 PM
What more can I add,it is super work.:thumbsup:

SEL
02-01-2003, 08:07 PM
Virtuoso- Wow, thanks for those insiteful words, means a lot! Glad you like the story and style of my art also, youve actually inspired me to get this thing done and colored before the challenge end date. Really appreciate the post!

Steveyola - thanks for the praise as well,
:thumbsup: much abliged!

Tonight, really late though, I will throw up the latest scan of the piece, hopefully mini me and the goarcs lower body will be completed. I plan on doing the lighting last for those of you wondering about it. Thanks again!

SEL

Tommy Lee
02-02-2003, 06:30 AM
Just to say: Damn great piece!!!:thumbsup:

Carlocki
02-06-2003, 01:22 PM
it's seems a Leonardo's skect made with sanguigna

wildsheepchase
02-24-2003, 06:18 PM
Are you going to add color to this? This piece is too good not to finish! Let's see an udate!:beer:

Alice
02-25-2003, 12:43 PM
yes, omg, it has to be finished!
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
:beer:
/Alice

SEL
02-25-2003, 03:32 PM
Ive been under a ton of stress to finish a short film ive been working on for awile now, so thats why I havent had the time to update here latelly guys and gals. Ive worked on the piece off and on since my last post, but since you guys want to see a completed piece, I will post up the final pencils here tonight, and hopefully if I have the time, I will do a color of it, dont know how well I can do the color seeing I only have a mouse and little time at the moment. Keep posted!

SEL

SEL
03-01-2003, 01:05 AM
its 8 ocklock my time, had no clue what time GMT meant on the time schedule, actually thought I had the a couple more hours until deadline, so here is my final image, I dont think I am able to upload it to the challenge site. The colored version is actually almost done, but I guess Ill bring it out in the galleries, been fun all, Someone should really put a counter for the deadline for region of the globe, thanks all!

http://www.selart.com/big_images/goarc_final.jpg

Slacker
03-01-2003, 01:33 AM
tis a shame. This is an excellent piece full of detail. You should post a poll when you get the colored one finished and we'll vote for it then. you got my :thumbsup: already. cheerz.

Royal
03-01-2003, 02:46 PM
Extremely good stuff, the only thing that bothers me is his left hand, it seems like he's got a thumb on the wrong side, this may be meant to be but it still looks weird.

Tommy Lee
03-01-2003, 05:38 PM
Great and good luck for it. Itīs excellent without colors also...:thumbsup:

Cheerz

Tom

SEL
03-01-2003, 10:27 PM
Hey Slacker, thanks bro, since the server has malfunctioned, I should be able to post my final colored image up here.. Soon..

Royal: Thanks for the reply, if your talking about the left hand of the big guy, maybe your not seeing the thumb cous its not clear cous I had to minimize the piece, when its colored, hopefully you will see it better...

Tommy Lee: Thanks for the support man! hopefully Ill post more of my 2d in here when I get more time.. Been fun!

Look forward to the colored piece within the next couple days.

SEL

Virtuoso
03-01-2003, 10:39 PM
I cannot wait.As I mentioned before this is stellar work Sel.I am very much impressed.Now go get this beauty of a piece colored.:bounce: :applause: :thumbsup: :love:

SEL
03-06-2003, 09:39 AM
heres the latest colored update, has a ton more to do I think until I can call it finished but wanted to show my progress..

SEL

http://www.selart.com/big_images/goarcs_red.jpg

Gamoron
03-06-2003, 02:00 PM
Looking good man. Too bad you didn't get it donw sooner.

SEL
03-06-2003, 10:29 PM
yeah, im going to put this on my WIP, since ive gotten busy again, and post the final up probably in the galleries or 2d section when finished. But when the next challenge starts I promised myself to get a completed piece finished before the cutoff, just got really busy here these last couple months. See yah around next one.

SEL

Gamoron
03-07-2003, 02:48 AM
You got a crazy eye for detail man. Why don't you have a site up? I'd like to see more.

SEL
03-07-2003, 09:10 AM
had time to work on it in the wee bits of the morning, thought I would post the update for you guys, changed some things and added more details to areas etc. Started on more of the shadows and light this around. Still has lots to do so keep posted!

SEL

http://www.selart.com/big_images/goarcs_blue.jpg

digital_demon
03-07-2003, 05:02 PM
yo wuz up i lilke but i dont know about all that blueness
but its still a great drawing keeep up the good work .:thumbsup: :arteest: latz sel

osukayasuragi
09-06-2003, 12:07 PM
the finger on his hand looks like a dick!!!! dude!!!

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.