PDA

View Full Version : Filling a box with water?

AlexC
08-21-2006, 09:38 PM
Hey,

Me and my bro have been working on a new idea for suspension fork dampning/rebound - I have no idea how it works but I'm just making it in 3D! He'd like to whack some Fluid in there to see if everything would work as planned before he makes the proto-type.

Problem is, I've never done any Fluid Dynamics before. I've been palying around with Super Spray, but all I can get is a few dots comming out of an emmiter. How can I actaully make it fill a box up first?

Thanks,

Hook
08-22-2006, 06:08 AM
You Cant.

But try Glu3D, you can download a trial here www.3Daliens.com (http://www.3daliens.com/) there is plenty of info on the website.

BrandonD
08-22-2006, 06:16 AM
If you're trying to visualize something that's physically real, to see how things will solve, then a 3d animation package isn't the best choice. Our tools have zero focus on accuracy whatsoever, so as you can imagine, artistic software isn't so good for engineering. Do some research on CFD tools for science if you want accurate fluid modeling.

AlexC
08-22-2006, 07:47 AM
Aye, I know it's not the most accurate of things but it doesn't have to be really accurate, we basicly just need to drop some fluid in there and see if it flows ok. But I'll check out those CFD tools aswell, thanks.

Hook, Ahh I found Glu3D but didn't find a trial for it - I'll check that out now!

Thewiruz
08-22-2006, 10:47 AM
Well the only thing i say is Realflow and they have a 30day trial i belive.Just create a fluid and export it to max and render it.Well sounds easy but you need to read a bit,also dont forget to download their maxplugin which you need

titan0585
09-13-2006, 10:05 PM
I would recommend Realflow, too. That's awesome.

Glacierise
09-19-2006, 01:38 PM
Well, actually you can fill a box with a fluid in PFlow. It is kind of fake - no physics sim or whatever, but it looks cool, so no problem with me :)

The trick is as follows:
Make your PFlow pour into the box. Make the box a UDeflector. Then, make a second UDeflector out of a plane, laying on the bottom of the box. This plane will represent the surface of the liquid. Then, keyframe the movement of the plane towards the top of the box. With some animated noise applied to the plane's z axis, and some decent animation, you'll get the effect. You can play a bit with a keep apart operator for the particles - make it with a strong negative force, and a small radius (like 200% the particle size, with small particles). You can tweak it more, but you get the idea already ;). And you will need a mesh wrapper for the particles - blobmesh (yuck!) or pwrapper.

Cheers!

mackdadd
09-19-2006, 09:27 PM
Glacierise - that's a clever trick! have you done it? can you post some screenshots or a render?

CapitanRed
09-20-2006, 09:35 AM
yea,thats a nice fake :D

you could also aplay a ripple spacewrap to the plane, so you have waves going from the point where the particles hit the plane.

Glacierise
09-20-2006, 10:09 AM
Well, here it is:

The max scene:

http://cravenous.com/box_fill.max

Somewhat of a decent render:

http://cravenous.com/box_fill_raytrace.jpg

A quick and dirty animation:

http://cravenous.com/box_fill_divx.avi

A couple of points:

1. This is NOT the only way to do this in PFlow. Hell, even I can do it in a few other slightly different ways. If you try to simulate water with no fluid sim, then the trick is to make things differently for each different case.

2. This is not the best that can be produced with this method. Keep in mind that I only did this in a single shot, to prove my point, and not to put it on a movie screen. The main concern here was a low render time :D

3. You could modify this extremely widely to produce the effect you envision.

So - this ain't glu, but, for a lot of cases, works :) And, btw, things can be done quite interestingly this way, if an unrealistic but interesting effect is desired ;)

Have fun!

Glacierise
09-20-2006, 11:18 AM
Hehe, and here is a much simpler version of the same trick, thanks to some keep apart magic:

http://cravenous.com/box_fill_simple.max

I think that this will work better ;)

titan0585
09-22-2006, 04:46 PM
Hi Hype. :bounce:

and yeah. that's a cool trick. I had a similar idea, but didn't tried it. :thumbsup:

mackdadd
09-22-2006, 08:42 PM
hey Ali! good to see ya here!

yeah, this is a cool technique, and i intend to check it out in detail as soon as i have more time. but i'll be using pwrapper instead of blobmesh, cuz i hate blobmesh. i mean, i could use glu for the whole thing, but i really wanna see PFlow doing this stuff without plugins. i too thought about this technique once, but i've never had much luck controlling the keep apart operator, so couldn't get anything to work right.

thanks Glacierise!

CGTalk Moderation
09-22-2006, 08:42 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.