PDA

View Full Version : Polygon count for high poly

Rafa-el
08-21-2006, 07:22 PM
what is a good polygon count for high poly models?

i have a car that has 86.000 faces.

is it tooo high even for a high poly?

mike0006
08-21-2006, 08:43 PM
I'd say that there isn't a limit to how many poly's you can have on your model. It's pretty much up to you. (until your computer crashes from lack of RAM) I am of the school of thought that you just keep adding polys until you have the detail and look that you are going for.

unknowngod430
08-27-2006, 01:43 PM
in the Xbox 360 project gotham their poly count it 40K for the exterior 40K for the interior

so it depends on what medium you're going for

86 smoothed is almost nothing...

86 unsmoothed for the exterior alone is pretty dense it's up to you seeing the car would help everyone know if you have extranious polies but really thats also a mater of taste

Rafa-el
08-27-2006, 05:34 PM
=)

thanks for the replys guys i really thought that i was crossing the limits with my modest 86k polys!

unknowngod430
08-27-2006, 05:58 PM
post up a picture of your car. It may not need that many polies to get the amount of detail/ definition you have...

Rod Seffen
08-28-2006, 05:00 PM
The smart thing is to try to use as few polys as possible, while achieving the result that you need.
It's always good to have as few as posible no matter what you're making it for, since it'll save on render time.

kirigoi
08-29-2006, 05:09 PM
I'm not too sure about Project Gotham, but a lot of new games have started using normal maps generated from high detail models, so poly counts in games can sometimes be deceptive. As everyone else has said, use as few as you can to make the detail you need, as wasteful modelling practices can result in sluggish performance, as well as difficulty in changing overly dense regions of the model. I've just finished a high-detail lego model and ended up with over 3 million polys (!), so 86k sounds reasonable, depending on the detail you've put in. :)

CGTalk Moderation
08-29-2006, 05:09 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.