PDA

View Full Version : Sound off! Documentation

penguinpavilion
01-25-2003, 08:14 AM
Lets let them know what we think about this.

serg2
01-25-2003, 10:52 AM
The Best documentation - AM2000.doc (33 mb) + v85add.doc
It is enough it completely
The innovations accustom and without the documentation

Hookflash
01-25-2003, 06:05 PM
Documentation is one of the most important "features" in need of tweaking in A:M, imo.

penguinpavilion
01-25-2003, 07:27 PM
Moderators: Could someone please rename the top level of this post to "Sound Off! Documentation". It is just too ambiguous right now, sorry.

I would have, but even though I started this poll, only moderators can edit things like that.

pabitel
01-25-2003, 10:54 PM
I'm a professional technical writer, and I can honestly say that A:M has the worst documentation I've ever seen. If it weren't for David Rogers' book, Sherwood Forest, and the A:M List Search Engine, I would've never gotten anywhere. The first screen in the online help should state: "Abandon hope all ye who enter here."

But saying this, LightWave doesn't even have online help. Imagine: a $1,500 program without online help! And the only reason they have a decent manual is that someone wrote it for a college project and gave it to NewTek in exchange for a free release.

Wegg
01-25-2003, 10:58 PM
WOwa. . . really!??! Thats wild.

They should just pay David Rogers and Charles River and just make it the "Official" manual.

I know that'd make David happy. Poor bugger spent a lot of time writing that thing. ..

Stychentyme
01-25-2003, 11:11 PM
The 'manual' that comes with AM is pretty vague. It has more information on animation itself than it has on the software.

David Rogers book is much closer to what a manual should be.

They need to create something that goes over ALL the features of AM, how to use them, and tutorials on the various methods that exist to use them most efficently.

I have LOTS of books on animation itself. This is really not needed in the manual.

The tutorials that exist on Sherwoods Forest and the other sites are very helpful. But, I feel that HASH may see the references that exist out there, and feel they don't need to bother with a detailed manual.

I think that they should make a serious effort to create one NOW!

Stych:thumbsup:

Rangler
01-25-2003, 11:54 PM
Remember A:M Glossary on Pixelburg.Com?
http://www.pixelburg.com/am_glossary

This was a brillant idea and has been overlooked in the past. Users's can make a difference.
:thumbsup:

Wegg
01-26-2003, 12:01 AM
OOooo wee. . . someone needs to each that boy some color sense. At least it isn't Teal. . .

penguinpavilion
01-27-2003, 03:07 AM
Mods: Thanks for the title change.

I'm kinda stumped. I would have thought that we would see a few more votes as much as this subject shows up. Either the choices were too vague, which is pretty likely, or this isn't as huge an issue as I previously thought.

Wegg
01-27-2003, 04:28 PM
Well I for one never read a manual. I find them to be overly complex. For me. . . a good video tutorial walking me through the basics in ENGLISH. . . is better than a 300 page manual walking me through every form of "Geek talk" without showing me anything. . .

But. . . thats just my opinion.

Squeakypics
01-27-2003, 04:56 PM
At least if you had a manual you could find out what AM was supposed to do. Case in point being when Zandoria published a tute about UV mapping a feature that virtually no one knew was there.
I am a big fan of manuals and think that AM desperately needs one whether we read it cover to cover, dip in for tech ref or use it as a coaster.
This is especially true for us who are new to the app. When you fork out for a piece of software (Or hardware for that matter) you kind of assume that the people the make the thing want to tell you how to get the best out of it. Hash are quite happy to give you a list of beguiling features but ask them how to use them or where they are?
It is just another reason so many of us are feeling ripped off.

Bleh!

d4rk
01-27-2003, 08:49 PM
What A:M needs is a reference manual that explains what every feature does and what each setting is for. With technical terms, but explained in a way that most people would understand. It doesn't have to be an exciting book, just plain and updated to each version. I am still baffled when I look at that picture book that came with the last version I bought, as to why they did that. No book would have been better. Somebody that knows alot about A:M could make some money by writing a really good manul and selling it as "the Animation master bible" or something.

Wegg
01-27-2003, 09:10 PM
Like this one?

David's Book (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1584502363/qid=1043700918/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1/103-8228948-8627004?v=glance&s=books&n=507846)

penguinpavilion
01-27-2003, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by d4rk
What A:M needs is a reference manual that explains what every feature does and what each setting is for. With technical terms, but explained in a way that most people would understand.
This ties right in with having a solid feature set with each major release. Nothing pisses me off more than documentation that references how the features used to work.

d4rk
01-27-2003, 10:21 PM
ooh wegg responded to my post :love: yeah proly like that one. but it should come with the software. I guess I don't really care that much though as I have turned away from A:M. If they ever got that app running really good and stable I wouldn't really care much about the manual or lack here of. All I really wanted to do with it was animate and there are lots of tutes for that. In a way I got distracted by all the features. You are right though Penguinpavilion, I didn't like it when smart skin copy and flip wasn't working even though the documentation said it would (I did report it the proper way... wonder if it ever got fixed. I was told it was a legit bug too. wonder who got credit for it) :shrug:

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.