PDA

View Full Version : Question about modeling a gun.

JuddWack
08-21-2006, 12:36 AM
I'm working on a mod team and was asked to model a sniper rifle. Should the clip be a seperate object and on a seperate texture as well for animation purposes? This will be for a 1st person view.

Also for intersecting meshs, is it best to have the 2 intersect, or a nice clean boolean so they meet evenly?

benclark
08-21-2006, 11:12 AM
If the clip is going to be taken out of the gun and changed in the game then definetly make it a seperate object. If not then I would just extrude it from your gun mesh.

You should ask the guys in your MOD team if the clip needs to come out.

If you make it a seperate piece then most people usualy include it on the UV layout for the gun. Its up to you though, but I would have it all on the one texture to save th number of materials on your model

Make the 2 pieces intersect with a good amount of overlap, otherwise you can get nasty results at render time

DoomPirate
08-21-2006, 12:39 PM
yeah, for us programmers, its helpful to also have any movable parts on the model to be seperate. Such as the clip and the part that kicks back on a pistol. On a sniper, depending on the immersion of the game, i would also make a movable part that you need for reloading the gun. Most good programmers can take your model from there. They will most likely fiddle with the model to get it to work in the game

JuddWack
08-22-2006, 02:53 PM
Thanks for the tips fellas.

CGTalk Moderation
08-22-2006, 02:53 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.