PDA

View Full Version : How many material IDs are too many?

Ramza24
08-20-2006, 08:26 PM
I know it's more about the total texture space, but does it matter if you split up your textures a lot? Also, does anyone know how most teams calculate texture limits or is it largely arbitrary, more of a ballpark?

GradiusCancer
08-20-2006, 09:14 PM
Mostly depends on the engine, and how much is on screen. Small props in large areas it's good to keep these low, but indoor environments can get up there. If you can merge your textures into single, larger texture sheets this can help too. I like between two and twelve for environment stuff lately.

Ramza24
08-20-2006, 09:17 PM
Yeah I do characters mostly, and sometimes it's gotten up to 4 different textures. I guess the best way is just to test how blurry it'll look onscreen.

ChimpanG
08-20-2006, 09:28 PM
between 2 and 12? thats very low... a level has far more than 12 textures...

Matt_mg
08-20-2006, 09:36 PM
between 2 and 12? thats very low... a level has far more than 12 textures...

On a single object...

I guess that would be a question for technical artists to answer. On a character most of the time I use two materials IDs, one for the face and one for the body.

Grimmsorg
08-20-2006, 10:36 PM
It kind of depends how you do things, for example whether you use crop sheets on not.

I've had to texture a 15000 polygon environment for a game and was given an allowance of 200 individual 256 by 256 textures and obvisously these had to have individual material ID's so its deffiantly not 2 - 12. I guess it depends on the game engine and how much will be visible on the screen at the same time.

randoMinion
08-21-2006, 12:53 AM
Generally speaking you never want to split up your texture unless it needs to tile a lot (terrain textures) or if you're losing too much resolution in a certain area of your texture (ex: the face.) Splitting off the head and body is fine. Splitting a tree or even worse, a shrub, into multiple textures is not a good idea.

Wasted texture space isn't really going to matter if you're making 3 times as many texture calls as you need to be.

There is never going to be a "standard" limit. It is *always* a balancing act between what is given to you.

Auctane
08-21-2006, 07:52 AM
Splitting a tree or even worse, a shrub, into multiple textures is not a good idea.

I split leaves from bark. I do leaves in 32 bit, and bark is often tiled.:shrug:

*leaves are double sided too

randoMinion
08-21-2006, 08:51 AM
Normally there's enough already existing geometry in the tree trunk to tile it manually.

CGTalk Moderation
08-21-2006, 08:51 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.