PDA

View Full Version : Environment: Skytrain Station

Kibble87
08-19-2006, 10:12 PM
Hey everyone,

Over the past 3 or 4 days, I have been working off and on on a new scene for my demo reel. I took some reference images of a Skytrain station in Vancouver (Columbia station, to be exact), and I started to model and texture something fairly similar to that station.

I would say I am about 70% done at this point. My plans are to fix the obviously bad texture jobs on some of my objects, and to create some garbage meshes and litter the floor with newspapers, transit fares, and pop cans. :D I'm thinking about adding some destruction once I get the final model/prop layout set, like breaking some of the posters and benches or something.

Anyway, here are 3 screenshots for you. I wish I knew how to light and render properly, but that is something our school hasn't really taught us very well, so I'm going to learn some techniques over the next week that should have a more positive effect on how my scene looks. The contrast is too big =/.

http://www.bradkav.com/images/stationa.jpg

Screenshot 1: This is just to show a bit of how it is laid out. The crappy blue you see above is going to be a skybox in the end; this station is half in-ground, half above-ground.

http://www.bradkav.com/images/stationb.jpg

Screenshot 2: This shot is just to show the general layout of the station, looking downward. Again, sorry for the washed out lighting; I'll look up tutorials once I get some more modelling/texturing done.

http://www.bradkav.com/images/stationc.jpg

Screenshot 3: Just a small closeup of the tile wall, mainly trying to showcase my normal-map. I am thinking about normal/bump mapping the bricks on the ground, slightly, but that's something I'll work on later.

As always, any feedback is greatly appreciated. I'll try and keep this post updated by throwing up images every day, but I should be 'done' this by Monday night.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give! :D

--Brad Kavanagh

psychojohno
08-19-2006, 10:47 PM
i think it looks good! The lighting doesnt look that bad the only time it looks really bad is on the second image and the walls look very bright i cant tell if both sides are tiled or one side has windows in that image. Textures look good but a bit too clean but your gonna fix that. And it will look good with rubish everywhere :thumbsup:

Alex McGilvray
08-20-2006, 04:28 AM
hey that's pretty cool :d

I never go to columbia station (I'm always on the other ropute) but it looks close to what I remember from going through thtere briefly

The-Maestro
08-20-2006, 04:46 AM
Textures look good but a bit too clean but your gonna fix that. And it will look good with rubish everywhere :thumbsup:

Well, not too grungy.... I say a small dent on the waste bin. Maybe some Lil graffiti scratches on the benches. Definitely need some wear and tear on the walkthru give the brick a feeling of being well used but not with a really grimy feel more just a slight ting of dirt and a slight touch of decay. place a small crack or two on the yellow do not cross areas and maybe give a dent to one sign and a slight warp to another. For a new constructed area however this would be top shelf stuff indeed.

Kibble87
08-20-2006, 08:01 AM
Thanks for the prompt replies, all. :D

As for how dirty I am going to make it... I'm still undecided. You guys have offered a large amount of great feedback regards to grunging it up, so I might take that route with all the new ideas. :D

I created a bump map for the ground bricks, but having never actually worked with them before, I'm having troubles making it look right. I'll post another render tomorrow night.~

Thanks again for all your help, I'll try and compile all the suggestions for tomorrow night. :D

--Brad

Kibble87
08-21-2006, 10:42 PM
Hey guys,

Alright, in addition to fixing a number of my base textures up to something presentable, I started playing with bump mapping. As seen in the picture below, I created a bump map for a number of things, the most notable being the floor and yellow warning tiles.

http://www.bradkav.com/images/stationd.jpg

Yes, my lighting still sucks something awful, but that is one of the things I am leaving until the very end.

I am having one problem, though. Does anyone know how to tone down the brightness of the glaring white that a bump creates? The mortar between the bricks is supposed to be a mid-grey, but the white highlights the bump makes are overpowering. Is there a way to tone down the shadows/highlights of a map?

Over the next couple of hours, I'm going to be adding in some trash and throwing some dirt on the walls and ground to scuff it up a bit. I'll post again tonight.

Thanks in advance,

--Brad K

ChimpanG
08-21-2006, 11:51 PM
i agree with it being too clean.

anyway for your bumpmap question:
there is usually a slider or a number box that controls the 'power' of the bumpmap, for example in max you can set it from 0 (not visible) to 100 (very strong bump) use that to control it, also you could simply lower the contrast on the bumpmap, in a bumpmap the black areas = lower down and the white areas = higher up so make everything more grey rather than white and black and it will lower the height, but i really suggest working out my first suggestion which is the sliders or whatever in your chosen app.

Kibble87
08-22-2006, 05:37 AM
One last post before bed..

I fixed a lot of the glaring problems with my bump map, and added a little bit of detail via some papers on the ground.

http://www.bradkav.com/images/statione.jpg

Tomorrow, I'm going to screw around with some more normal/bump mapping stuff and try and get some decent lighting going on.

I'll post again tomorrow! =D

--Brad

requiem2d
08-22-2006, 06:04 AM
Good work, keep it up :) Show us a wireframe when you get a chance, cheers!

Kibble87
08-24-2006, 07:12 AM
New update! =D

Attached is my image with slight alterations. The concrete has been grunged up a bit, and I added in the commuter newspapers. :o I understand the placing is slightly odd and unrealistic. I see some crazy contrast along the yellow guard things because of the bump map, but I'm going to figure that out tomorrow. (I hope :D)

And, as always, my lighting is terrible. I haven't really worked with it too much since I placed the initial lights. I have class tomorrow which teaches exactly that, so I'm going to try and get a lot of teacher feedback/techniques going on so it doesn't look so awful. I'll post to show any changes I made tomorrow night. :D

http://www.bradkav.com/images/stationf.jpg

Again, thanks so much for the feedback. I've been trying a few things with grunge layers and stuff, but it looks so stupid on a bump/normal map. I've added some small stuff to the diffuse maps of the wall and floor, but it isn't noticable.. I'll crank that up tomorrow, as long as it doesn't look too tileable.

..until next time. :D

--Kibb

Ghostscape
08-24-2006, 02:21 PM
Dirty up the bricks! The mortar between the bricks should be really dirty and gross if people have been walking on them, dropping trash, etc.

The layout itself is good but the textures need more dirtying up.

ScudzAlmighty
08-24-2006, 05:30 PM
looks like Columbia station to me, but yeah dirty up the bricks

ChaosDragondz
08-24-2006, 06:17 PM
yeah for sure make the bricks dirtier, I really like the advertisements, especially the snakes on a plane one lol

Kibble87
08-26-2006, 01:54 AM
One more little update~

I nuked my scene lighting and started again, and I think I got it much closer this time (or at least the walls aren't being blasted with sunlight http://www.artery.ca/board/images/smiles/icon_razz.gif)

I think I am about 95% done at this point. I will be making one 'final' post tonight/tomorrow morning with the changes I am going to do during the rest of the day. (I say 'final', because I will be doing small tweaks based off of final critiques over the next week.)

http://www.bradkav.com/images/stationg.jpg
http://www.bradkav.com/images/stationh.jpg

I think I changed a lot of the problem areas with my scene. I am going to make a few more posters to get rid of their obvious overuse, model a couple more little props, add some more lighting and effects, and create a skybox representing a sunny Vancouver day.

Good work, keep it up :) Show us a wireframe when you get a chance, cheers!

I'll post a wireframe when I am done, but my scene is sitting around 40,000 tris all together. That is unoptimised, and I know how I can clean it up a bit, but I'll wait to show the wireframe until it is impressive. :D

Thanks again for the input everyone; I really appreciate it! I'll finish this up and get crackin' on my new scene, which I'll unveil tomorrow. http://www.artery.ca/board/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Gamedev
08-26-2006, 06:17 AM
I really want to see the train in place now, haha. Its looking much better. The lighting really bothered me at first as well as its cleanliness. Keep working on it!

psychojohno
08-26-2006, 02:34 PM
It looks awesome now. I agree with gamedev! you should model the train you know you want to :p

ChimpanG
08-26-2006, 02:50 PM
looking better :D
the papers on the ground are far too bright asif they were 100% self illuminated, tone them down.

Kibble87
08-26-2006, 07:35 PM
It looks awesome now. I agree with gamedev! you should model the train you know you want to :p

I actually think I might now. Not that I'm caving to peer pressure, but because I need a centerpeice for this scene for composition reasons. :P I won't have it modelled or textured for another week or so as I have to work on my second scene for graduation, but I'll slip it in there in an update next week. :D

looking better :D
the papers on the ground are far too bright asif they were 100% self illuminated, tone them down.

I'm playing around with their brightness settings now. I actually have no idea how, but I figure if I play with enough shader settings I can figure it out. :P

--Kibb

CGTalk Moderation
08-26-2006, 07:35 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.