PDA

View Full Version : Vue5 Boxed or download version ?

C4DS
08-19-2006, 07:22 PM
I am about to buy Vue5 Infinite (looking forward to a free Vue6 upgrade), but haven't decided yet about the download or boxed version.
I can get the boxed version from a local reseller for 699 euros, while the downloaded version is 620 without printed manual, or about 670 + shipping when ordering a printed manual in addition.
The boxed version, however, is not in stock. So it might take a while before I even get my hands on practicing with Vue5, while I could get started with the downloaded version.
The good thing about the boxed version is that I then have "official" disk, manuals ... and a box, while the download version will require me to burn my own CD and make it look as if it might have been a pirated version.

But then again, the free upgrade to Vue6 is also only available as download, so what is the benefit of ordering a boxed Vue5 ?

Any comments are welcome.

( just to let off some steam : why is the price in euros the same as dollars, while there is a difference in currency, it's 20 percent more expensive this way )

Mike.H
08-19-2006, 09:33 PM
seriously, if you´ve bought the dl version it´s paid for, doesnt matter if someone else might think you´ve illegaly dl it, it´s bought and paid for, so with the difference in price being what it is i would vouch for purchasing the dl version.

saves you s&h aswell, which in € is quite noticable.

IvanB
08-20-2006, 02:21 AM
Hi there...

I have also purchase the dl version and its fine...burnt it to disk..registered it got the serial sent to me by email..all is good. It cost me almost $800 Australian...The good thing is you get it straight away..Takes a bit of time to dl...almost an hour...Cant wait for 6....E-on sould also provide an image for the disk so we can print it onto the disk, with possibly a coment on the image saying "Download Version". and you would have to be registered to get it.
Ivan.

C4DS
08-20-2006, 09:14 AM
Thanks for the info.

The s&h would be nill, as the price I mentioned (699 euros) is the local price and no additional taxes, customs, shipping, etc ... are to be paid.

As for the download, Vue5 comes on 2 CD, so it must be about 1GB to download. I hope Vue6 won't come out on DVD, requiring multi-gigabytes to be downloaded.

Anyway, I think I'll order the download version then. Thanks for your suggestions.

IvanB
08-20-2006, 10:56 AM
Sorry to correct you..the download is about 500mb...its just that its slow when dling..Oh and when you finish the dl you get the serial by email..then you register.http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/icons/icon13.gif you can then get all the fixes and updates for 5..you also get a 50$ voucher for cornucopia to download stuff, however everything that is good to dl (like trees and tools) is not eligable for the voucher..

C4DS
08-20-2006, 01:10 PM
500MB for Vue5 ... and an additional 300MB for the second CD, isn't it ?
About 800MB for the Vue5 CD set, guessing that will be a lot more for Vue6.

How does the Australian dollar compare to the US, is it still half value (as was the case around '98 if I remember correctly) ? If I purchase the boxed version locally for 699 euros, I would have paid US$ 830. If I order the boxed version from the website I then pay 720 euros + shipping + customs (which can be 30 to 50 percent) ... it will end up above the US$ 1000 for sure.

IvanB
08-20-2006, 01:55 PM
Hey

I didnt get a second cd..just the 500mb...not sure why...when you go to download you get a link click on it and tiny download program starts.. and a serial is sent... thats it. Its about 70 cents for every us $..vue cost $579 Us which was $762 Aud..go to google and search "currency conversion" and use one of the links to convert.
try this one...
http://www.x-rates.com/calculator.html

should be 452 Euro @ $579 Us. for download version (The boxed version was about $20 more and I'd say extra for s&h)..unless its different when purchasing from europe.
699 euro is $895 Us and $1100 Aud ?

C4DS
08-20-2006, 02:08 PM
According to the website you need to purchase the second CD separatly (only for the download version).

All prices mentioned on the website (using euro as currency) are ex-VAT.
Vue5 (download) costs 496 euros (ex-VAT) => including VAT (21 percent) that would be 600 euros.
The extra CD is only 17 euros + VAT (why need to buy a separate second CD, while the boxed version has both ?).

DorisDay
08-21-2006, 07:38 AM
One advantage of a DL version not mentioned is the shelf space you will still have, I have from Vue 3 in boxes & they take up loads of space not to mention Photoshop etc..

I have one shelf full of boxes...:scream:

CGTalk Moderation
08-21-2006, 07:38 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.