PDA

View Full Version : How do alphas/masks work in EI?

Martin Kay
08-19-2006, 08:31 AM
In c4d, anything can be used as an alpha or mask in the layers feature. I don't see a facility to do this in EI. Do you have to produce a mask as an alpha in a bit map in Photoshop or what. I remember back in the 2.7 days it was quite a rigmarole and there was a utility to fabricate alphas. Or is there a shader you can stack?

Cheers

Martin K

Martin Kay
08-19-2006, 10:01 PM
Although it mentions alphas at least twice in the manual at some length it doesnt give much clue as to how these operate, ( a common thing I find with EI..) I finally figured it out after some thrashing about... Ok, I could read the manual from beginning to end, but one tends to look in the index in order to get to things quickly.

PS, Does this mean that the 28 odd folk who looked at this thread also don't know how alphas work in EI? :)

Martin K

halfworld
08-19-2006, 10:33 PM
Glad you sussed it out :)

I wasn't sure what your question meant; were you talking about turning objects into masks? Adding an alpha to a texture? Or utilising alphas already in textures? or...

Ian

manuel
08-19-2006, 10:53 PM
PS, Does this mean that the 28 odd folk who looked at this thread also don't know how alphas work in EI? :)
It just means that I can't explain it in a forum. My method is bashing on all the available buttons until it works and then thinking: "One day, I really ought to figure out the actual logic behind this, but it works for now."
I'm really amazed for instance how straight-forward the logic behind masking and layering is in Modo. My brain took to it like a fire to a bundle of straw.

Martin Kay
08-19-2006, 11:17 PM
Glad you sussed it out :)

I wasn't sure what your question meant; were you talking about turning objects into masks? Adding an alpha to a texture? Or utilising alphas already in textures? or...

Ian

Hi, I was thinking about alphas in textures, procedural or bitmap, used as masks to let a second texture show through/underneath. I discovered the alpha slider in the RGB color selector and also managed to make a bitmap in Photoshop with a combined alpha although I had to try it a few times to make it work.
Cheers

Martin K

CGTalk Moderation
08-19-2006, 11:17 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.