PDA

View Full Version : ATLANTIS :: WINNERS ::

JJASSO
08-18-2006, 06:56 PM
Hey guys finally here are the results for this first Unnoficial Matte Painting Challenge. thanks to the panel of judges , Dylan Cole , Chris Stoski , Alp Altiner . the people at CGsociety, Leonard Teo, Roberto Ortiz, Leigh Van der byl
and of course our main Sponsor Ballistic Publishing www.ballisticpublishing.com (http://www.ballisticpublishing.com/)
for their help on making this a great challenge .
and thanks tto the community for the great entries we had :thumbsup:

Congratulations to the winners and runner ups !

1st PLACE
Alex Popescu

http://img250.imageshack.us/img250/5130/atlantisfinaljw2.jpg

2 nd PLACE
Pavel Mikhailenko
http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/867/mikhailenkobk8.jpg

3rd PLACE
Pavel Cucka

http://sweb.cz/Animos_PC/images/Tvorba/atlantis/atlantis_kutkin_final.jpg

RUNNER UPS

Dave Edwards
http://www.thedaveidentity.co.uk/web/atlantis_web_large.jpg

Levi Peterfi
http://www.leventep.com/Pics/atlantis/Atlantis2.jpg

Adam Richards
http://img357.imageshack.us/img357/5614/0013bjh2.jpg

Raine Kuusi
http://i4.tinypic.com/23jo3r6.jpg

Sean Murphy
http://img56.imageshack.us/img56/4876/atlantisflatten04xe3.jpg

CONGRATULATIONS AGAIN !!

tlggungor
08-18-2006, 07:33 PM
Really Good works... CONGRATULATIONS to all winners...:beer::arteest:

Velarion
08-18-2006, 07:47 PM
congratulations!!

so....when will the next challenge starts? :)

BobbEr
08-18-2006, 08:01 PM
GREATE MATTE! Congratulations!!! :thumbsup:

minminxu
08-18-2006, 08:09 PM
wow ~~~~:eek:wow~~~~~wow~~~~~~

great pictures~~ ~~~~~:thumbsup:

me too !!~~~~congratulations to all winners~~:thumbsup:~~~~good woooooorks!~~~:bounce: :bounce:

RobertoOrtiz
08-18-2006, 08:18 PM
Guys this is scary good work!

Awesome entries!
Congratz to all!

-R

Miezis
08-18-2006, 08:22 PM
Levi Peterfi is my favourite!
pictures of trully epic proportions! great work! no crit!

Inlakechh
08-18-2006, 08:30 PM
Congratulations to the winners Alex Popescu, Pavel Mikhailenko and Pavel Cucka.
:) It was a really nice challenge.

Jadetiger
08-18-2006, 08:49 PM
Amazing work guys! Congrats to all. :)

MPavel
08-18-2006, 09:09 PM
WooooooooW! Just incredible! :bounce: Finaly the FINAL )

Thank`s to all of you GUYS! It was realy gr8 contest! :thumbsup: I was hoping to get at least in 10.. but NOT to be the 2nd! Damn ruuulezzz :rolleyes:

Alex Popescu, Pavel Cucka - my best congrats!!

I think i`ll take part in the next one :thumbsup:

rblitz7
08-18-2006, 09:12 PM
Those are all really good! Great job to all!:thumbsup:

Kutkin
08-18-2006, 09:23 PM
WOW!!!:eek:

I never thought of being 3rd!!

A lot of stunning entries. Congrats to everybody.

Special congrats to Alex Popescu and Pavel Mikhailenko.

Really wonderfull challenge!
I suppose to see you in the next one then...:D

MPavel
08-18-2006, 09:34 PM
Pity there are no comments from Alp, Chris and Dylan. I`d so much like to hear what do they think about my work :blush:

Kutkin
08-18-2006, 09:50 PM
Yeah, I thought there will be some comments and crits from the judges...

miguelslo
08-18-2006, 09:51 PM
MPavel, it would be also great if anyone could see your image :) or maybe its just a problem with me, but i dont think so

MPavel
08-18-2006, 10:16 PM
I don`t know, i see it. If nobody see it i`d like to ask jamesvfx to check it out

Trybal
08-18-2006, 10:44 PM
I don't see it either.

JJASSO
08-18-2006, 10:58 PM
mmmmh strange I can see it perfectly and in several computers I've tried I see it, let me see what I can do

JJASSO
08-18-2006, 11:01 PM
the judges are really busy people ,I hope they put some comments later , but anyway just being judge by them it is enough . I think they have real vision and real knowledge about his art, just understand them please

degerardo
08-18-2006, 11:02 PM
Very GREAT works friends!!! I like it a LOT :bounce:

I have in mind, that I join to this challenge, but I don`t have time for this great Challenge :shrug:
Really very good... Perfect.
11*********** from me to all!

Mobious
08-19-2006, 12:25 AM
Incredible work everyone!

It was awesome just watching the progress of the artists.

And just a side note, the second image is not showing up for me either.

JJASSO
08-19-2006, 12:29 AM
I already changed the server for that specific image it should be showing right now

Mobious
08-19-2006, 12:31 AM
And so it is... :thumbsup:

Looks great

Bob-Lopes
08-19-2006, 12:55 AM
Wonderful works artists. Congratulations for all.

Bob :thumbsup:

GonzaloGolpe
08-19-2006, 12:56 AM
Congratulations!wonderful jobs and wonderful challenge:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

SamsonsReaper
08-19-2006, 01:13 AM
Miezis: (member.php?u=158060):love:

congrats to the winners :buttrock:

leigh
08-19-2006, 03:08 AM
Congratulations, everyone! Those are all beautiful paintings :thumbsup:

Nazirull
08-19-2006, 03:13 AM
Pretty.....dark.....thats what the theme is about! Congrats guys!
Being judged by industry professionals for free is a chance of a lifetime.

Great job CGS!:thumbsup:

Next one please! :bounce:

EhsanD
08-19-2006, 06:07 AM
wow ... :applause: great works .
ok , can you tell me where was this challenge .
can you put the link of the challenge ,
thanks .

Moysh
08-19-2006, 07:35 AM
Congrates to all the winners.. Looking forward in seeing you guys again the next contest!!

R-K
08-19-2006, 08:33 AM
congrats all :thumbsup:

warpy
08-19-2006, 09:19 AM
i love those mini challenges, everything look so amazing..

mindrot
08-19-2006, 09:41 AM
Lovely work all. Well done.

~M~

everlite
08-19-2006, 11:31 AM
Nice one guys well deserved. It was a great contest and lots of fun taking part. So what's next? need a new challenge NOW, NOW, NOW! :-)

- Dave.

gent_k
08-19-2006, 11:33 AM
Wasn't aware this thing was on.
Stunning work, all of them!!!

HellBoy
08-19-2006, 12:53 PM
hay cong all

awesome work by everyone :thumbsup:

aksu
08-19-2006, 12:56 PM
Wow!

Really really glad about the results :D

Congratulations to all the participants and especially to
Pavel Mikhailenko
Pavel Cucka

and to all runner ups.

MPavel
08-19-2006, 02:06 PM
Alex Popescu :thumbsup:

In spite of my lil crit you`re the first and you truly deserve it, dude! :applause:

sandu22
08-19-2006, 04:51 PM
bravo alex.. congrates all;)

cLos71
08-20-2006, 12:54 AM
Congratulations to all the winners!

aksu
08-20-2006, 07:39 AM
A well deserved crit Pavel :) . Thanks again, you really had an amazing entry too, can't wait to do this again :D

Multumesc sandule ;)

tarekmax
08-20-2006, 08:13 AM
AAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!:scream:

Thanks alot jamesvfx (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=23487) vbmenu_register("postmenu_3793833", true); we are realy prciate thats from you
arealy amaizing results wow prety nice .
thanks again.
vbmenu_register("postmenu_3793833", true);

chinnha
08-20-2006, 11:28 AM
Very well, nice achievements guys!:thumbsup:
Congratulations!! To all winners and participants.

Need technical comments and corrections from the professionals, so failures will have some guidelines.

anzeversnik
08-20-2006, 02:44 PM
really impresive artpieces...extremely good paintings

Matellis
08-20-2006, 06:33 PM
Hey everyone great job on the mattes!
It was great watching everyone progress and some amazing work came out of it! hats off to everyone envolved!

Cheers

PhuongDPh
08-20-2006, 07:10 PM
Awesome art works !
Congratulation !

Tkaos
08-20-2006, 08:13 PM
Amazing Matte, a very good subject, gratz to all participants and to the Winners...

Also, Don't forget, one day we will found this city....I don't know where, but we will found it !

exsanguinatus
08-20-2006, 09:15 PM
Hello all,

I was honored to be one of the judges for this matte painting challenge. I think Jaime did a great job organizing this. Congratulations to all the artists who won and entered. Here are some thoughts on the winners-

1st Place- Alex Popescu

This piece had it all and was the unanimous winner. Nice composition with good color and lighting. This piece does something very difficult, it balances a wealth of detail without getting cluttered or busy. Nice points of light and subtle color variation. The large shapes and values read first and then you notice the detail and interesting design. I like how Alex took the time to design complex and inventive architecture instead of standard stuff we have seen before. The sense of enormity was also very good in this piece. The tiny lights in the distance imply an immense world.

2nd PLACE- Pavel Mikhailenko

This piece succeds through a very strong and dynamic composition. The vanshing point of the canyon leads us to our subject very effectively and the foreground fish give life and movement as well as scale. I also really enjoy the vertical perspective of the columns. The main thing this piece would need would just be some additional detail to make it photoreal.

3rd PLACE- Pavel Cucka

I really enjoy this piece for the simplicity of the composition. Too often matte paintings are overly complicated and cluttered. I how the piece had the courage to leave the right side completely featurless. It adds a lot to vastness of the space. The artist has used the full value range very effectively with the strongest highlights drawing out attention to the focal points. Nice subtle color variation in the foreground. I am also drawn to the art nouveau look to the dome.

And a few thoughts about the Runner ups-

Dave Edwards- Good composition and varety of architecure. I like how the statue becomes the focus. I would work on perspective a bit and making some more dramatic pools of light to lead the eye. It might be a little too monochromatic. Another thing that I like is the variety of architecture. There is a nice mix of ancient and modern.

Levi Peterfi- I really enjoy this piece. It is very dynamic and creative. It has a really nice energy and variety of light. But it really is more of a concept painting than a matte painting. In order to be more photoreal, it could use some more photo use and little less sharpening. I would definitely keep this a cool version but it might be nice to take it further.

Adam Richards- Nice simplicity of composition. I like to see the ornate architecure on the left. I think there could be a bit more interest in the right two thirds of the frame. Maybe punch up the light source a bit or hint at some distant architecture. Some more contrast would help this piece pop a bit more.

Raine Kuusi- Nice, strong values and a good sense of scale. The skull in the rock is handled very well. I think it might be nice to pick and area to be the focul point and emphasize it with lighting. I think if you want to play the skull with that much texture then you need to add some more detail to the foreground. The skull would feel bigger and further away if the darks were a little more hazed out.

Sean Murphy- This was probably the strongest composition of the whole challenge. It has a very good foreground, midground, and background. The repetition of shapes help establish perspective and scale. I also really like the giant structure looming above. I think the palette was also very succesful. I think the only thing holding this piece back was a lack of detail in the architecture. It has a CG render feel. I think the windows could use some detail in the them to make them feel more realistic. They are also probably a little too big.

Congratulations again to all the artists.

subieta
08-20-2006, 09:31 PM
Congratulations - specially for Pavel Mikhailenko - great mood and atmosphere. Awesome!

GonzaloGolpe
08-20-2006, 10:43 PM
Thanks so much Dylan for the great explanation. I think itīs an excellent lesson to improve oneself. And congrats again to the winners!!hehe:thumbsup:

MPavel
08-21-2006, 07:25 AM
At last!!

A HUGE THANKS for Dylan! I think we all appreciate HE found some time to give us his comments! Unbelievable :thumbsup:
--------------

subieta: thanks )) I don`t know why actually me, but thank you as well :buttrock:

Strannik
08-21-2006, 03:16 PM
Man.:buttrock: All of you are simply magnificent.:thumbsup:

aksu
08-21-2006, 06:34 PM
I also want to thank Dylan for taking the time to talk about the images. I think everyone is very grateful.

Thanks again.

smurph
08-21-2006, 09:41 PM
Thanks to Jamesvfx and all the judges and congradulations to all the participants, let's do it again soon.

greekdish
08-21-2006, 10:36 PM
awesome work by all winners. I attempted to enter this contest...and ran into a wall in trying to make all my images matchup colorwise, to look like they all belonged together.

Is it me, or are all the contest winners pretty much the same names over and over?? Gets kinda depressing, doesnt it?? :sad:

Trybal
08-22-2006, 06:54 AM
Thank you Dylan, Chris, and Alp for judging our works. I'll try harder next time. :p

cgoz
08-22-2006, 02:38 PM
congrats! every piece is great (my favorite was second priced).
anyway waiting for second challenge and hope i can find piece of time for it.

Kutkin
08-23-2006, 03:48 PM
It's awesome, to hear comments from someone like Dylan.
Thanks for supporting the community this way. :applause:

Thanks to all the judges and CGSociety for this challenge.

everlite
08-25-2006, 12:21 AM
Hey, Thank you Dyan, well constructed feedback and really appreciated.

Cheers - Dave.

Edji
08-25-2006, 09:39 AM
Very good work ! and very good pictures ^^:applause:
it makes me dreaming.

SweD
08-28-2006, 08:05 AM
hey ;) my best congratulations to all 3 winners and runner ups ! My best thanks to JamesVFX and CGtalk for this challenge, hope to see the next soon and try to participate again.

vampeta
09-01-2006, 07:54 AM
BREATHTAKING AWESOME!

congratulations to everyone (damm i missed this challenge and the theme was so great)

The first place is simple awesome!!!

GRAT WORKS!

govindablu
09-08-2006, 02:54 AM
Amazing! Good Work

StoskiDigital
09-24-2006, 08:18 PM
My apologies for my late reply! I had the luxury of a very long vacation this summer. I hope you'll find my comments helpful. Thank-you for having me as a judge for this competition! Congrats to the winners and let's all thank Jaime for organizing things.

1st Place- Alex Popescu

Very nice painting Alex. Through judging a matte painting competition I looked for strong composition, lighting, mood and photo-reality amongst other things. This piece was the most photographic. Though the forms are of fantasy, Alex was still able to create matte painting that could be cut into a film and the audience would believe it. The color palette, scale and framing would all work in a feature film.

His painting is also very beautiful and interesting. There are alot of details to look at here and many places I wish I could physically go and visit. The Architectural detailing is elegant and other-worldly and helps to create the magical feeling many of us relate to Atlantis.

If there were a few details I would tweak, it would be:
- the black values at the bottom of the frame are a little too dark. Since they are far away AND underwater I think they could be hazed-back more.
- Some of the architecture could be painted a little more consistantly. Some buildings are soft and some too sharp, Others are a bit crooked.
- perhaps the two light canyons in the background could be less similiar. The one on the right could be a bit smaller and different in shape.

Overall, very nice work! Great effort!

2nd PLACE- Pavel Mikhailenko

A fantastic painting! When I first saw this painting I literally studied it for about 15 minutes. I think it has very nice lighting and watery atmosphere. The color palette is great, a bit of green and pink and yellow added to the typical underwater blue makes for a more successful piece. The abundant fish and bubbles help give us a sense of what the final shot might look like if it were moving. Overall one of my favorite concepts of Atlantis that I've ever seen.

I feel that the painting should appear more photo-realistic in order to win a matte painting challenge. Most of the matte painting done in the industry today is of a photo-real nature. Though you have a very strong concept here, I would like to see it painted with more photo-real textures and details.

Great job Pavel, keep working hard!

3rd PLACE- Pavel Cucka

Overall, another great work of art. This matte painting has some qualities in the rocks that I've seen in traditional matte paintings on glass. The rocks are a little bit "brushy", but if you squint or if you saw this on film it would fool most audiences into thinking it was photo-real. I love the simplicity of the composition. However, I feel the composition could be stronger if the path and lights on the left side of frame were alot darker and less noticeable. The idea of the dome and towers at center frame is fantastic and not perfectly centered... good composition.

The color palette works well for underwater. The lighting on the dome and shadows on the cliffs help the dome to stand-out as architecture. Without these and the highlights, the buildings might disappear into the rest of the rock cliff. Very nice work.

Comments on the runner-ups:

Dave Edwards- Perhaps the bright light coming from the top left could be abit brighter. Caustic lights could be hitting the city. Perhaps more distruction to the tall buildings as well. - or if they're still inhabited, perhaps some lights illuminating them.

Levi Peterfi- A fun concept. The scale is a bit confusing though. Perhaps the supports of this large city could be a bit smaller and bit more human scale.

Adam Richards- Perhaps the light sources could be brighter. Maybe the building with the lights on should have a few more illuminated windows and be set a bit more centered in frame. The black values are good, a bit milky, I think that works for an underwater shot.

Raine Kuusi- The skull is interesting. Overall composition is good. Perhaps the city and skull could be hazed-back more. I'd like to see the green lights of the city turned a bit more orange or pink and contrasty.

Sean Murphy- This painting has a very large scope to it. It feels like something we'd see in a modern sci-film or tv show. Nice work. However, the green color palette isn't very realistic or inviting. Also, the buildings feel simple, they need more detail. The windows could be a bit smaller too. I love all the bubbles and floating things in the water, it adds movement to the painting. It helps me envision what the final moving matte painting could look like in a film.

Thank-you for involving me, it was a pleasure. Keep up the good work everybody.

Kutkin
09-25-2006, 01:17 PM
Huge thanks for the comments, Chris!
That's so wonderfull to hear nice words and suggestions from a professional like you.

JJASSO
09-25-2006, 03:29 PM
thanks for the comments dylan and chris I know we all learn from them, keep it up guys !

brucegao
12-17-2006, 05:22 AM
god dame just amazing!!

gladly
04-19-2007, 04:51 PM
congratulations to the winners
they look great :)

juniorlucky
05-16-2007, 04:54 AM
Amazing! Good Work

Dhame
10-11-2007, 01:06 PM
great work

SeifoSid
03-08-2008, 04:18 AM
very impressive work, nice to see how people imagine this subject.

xantirodriguez
04-03-2008, 09:28 AM
level is so high!

mexanh
05-26-2008, 05:03 PM
Wow, nice!

paintings
12-21-2010, 09:50 AM
Good Paintings (http://http://www.http://exclusiveartpaintings.com)..!

QuynhChau
09-21-2011, 02:13 AM
This is amazing work!!! Wonderful concepts!

CGTalk Moderation
09-21-2011, 02:13 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.