PDA

View Full Version : Praying Devil, Meats (3D)

meats
01-24-2003, 10:05 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/15128/meats_gallery_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/15128/meats_gallery.jpg)

Hi. I just wanted to share a project that I have been working on for the last month and am just finishing up.
It is a digital sculpture that I am calling the Praying Devil.
I've included a few shots, but if you want to see more, go here:
http://www.sketchovision.com/devil/devil_phase_4.html
http://www.sketchovision.com/web/cgchannel_post/dvl_heads.jpg
http://www.sketchovision.com/web/cgchannel_post/dvl_close.jpg
And here are a few 3d matchmoved animations of the sculpture that I am working on for my animation reel (comments please, I need to perfect them):
http://www.sketchovision.com/web/cgchannel_post/devil_backyard.jpg
Devil Head animation ONE (http://www.sketchovision.com/animation/devil_head.avi)
Divx 7.6 megs
http://www.sketchovision.com/web/cgchannel_post/dvls_on_hill_frame_136.jpg
Devils on Hill animation TWO (http://www.sketchovision.com/animation/dvls_on_hill.avi)
Divx 6.66 megs :buttrock:

Let me know what you think, I took a month off work to work on my personal artwork, so I've got the time to fix stuff finally....

caffeineman
01-24-2003, 10:18 PM
are all those tubes Modeled?
How did you do that??

e338
01-24-2003, 11:07 PM
Are you crazy or something???
close up in black and white are superb,

DIMO
01-24-2003, 11:12 PM
This is as all your stuff extraordinary. You are truly an artist!

:thumbsup:

(B-HOLM)
01-24-2003, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by caffeineman
are all those tubes Modeled?
How did you do that??
maybe he just did some curve work and some extruding...who knows :) would prolly be the easiest thing I would say.

anyways, I really liked the first pics as they were loading, but when the composited one came I just fell in love. Kick Ass! :airguitar

stephen2002
01-25-2003, 12:11 AM
some very good work. I like the tube/wire mesh look. The BW shots are amazing, the 1st composit pice is great.

The 2nd one dosn't look to be quite the same quality as the first.

Good job overall.

Matt-Clark
01-25-2003, 12:40 AM
Fantastic stuff. :D

Plugged it on the front page for you.

WhiteRabbitObj
01-25-2003, 12:59 AM
God Almighty! Very impressive. What did you composite in?

CiF
01-25-2003, 01:05 AM
meats,

for your two match move, I think the first a just a turn around so there's not really comment for me ...
In the second one (mountain) I think you should use soft shadow intead of those sharp (raytrace?) shadow, also it seems to me that you use some proxy object (Iguess for rendering time) far=less wires .. and even with some surface instead of wires ...
maybe (if I guess right of course) you should keep the wire with less details, I mean more angular but no surface ...
and at the end, the animation of the last head destroy everything for my opinion, the morphing smile timimg is wrong, better hold the pose then doing this fast ping-pong smile.

last comment, I think the shader (blue/gray) doesn't fit with the background, maybe you should use more reflection like in the turn around (first anim) ... render time pb ? maybe fake bitmap reflection of the bg ....

I allow myself to be so "critic" 'cause I think this beautifull model deserve a right anim ...

anyway congratulations Meats!!!

fr3drik
01-25-2003, 01:11 AM
Nice too see something unique. Also - I can tell God lives in the details

;)

e338
01-25-2003, 01:16 AM
yeah yeah yeah!
for sure it's good, but i think there is a slight problem.
In fact, it quiet the same than for "master" Stahlberg's recent work posted in the WIP.

The animation.
It adds nothing.
I mean, the mesh and the style are really impressive, same thing for the integration.
But the animation doesn't show us anything particular. All the "Devils" are in the same position (some could immerge like living dead,...), moving slowly.
They look captured but their not reacting.
And the guys all around don"t even look panic or anything.

In the meantime, i suddenly realize CiF posted quiet the same reaction... so i won't be long

You could create a big feeling of terror with the smile in the end.
Work on it, it's not just a blendshape!

Damn good style anyway

lildragon
01-25-2003, 01:17 AM
I'm utterly speechless meats, I can barely muster enough strength to say this :surprised:

Actually I have a couple things I can say, the animation does need some more work, it seems rather "floaty" and I'm not sure but a lil morbid, maybe that's what you where aiming for :) and the other thing , you're frickin insane! :D

You have received the CGtalk choice award . Please feel free to display this image anywhere you like! very nice!

upon receiving this award, it guarantees you a spot in the cgtalk gallery hall of fame (http://gallery.cgtalk.com) - which you are now placed

http://www.cgtalk.com/plug_award/award_jan_2003.jpg

P.S. if you need a different background, please send me a PM with the RGB values.

salud

Akuma
01-25-2003, 01:22 AM
that is some incredible detail. im absolutly amazed. awesome job! :bounce:

ToddD
01-25-2003, 01:33 AM
That first composite Kix @ss!!!!!!:applause:

rolhionjs
01-25-2003, 01:35 AM
:eek: Incredible details !!! Can we have some tips about your technique ?

Amazing work !

road
01-25-2003, 01:46 AM
WOW!!!!
absolutely amazing work!!
I don't think I've seen anything quite like this before!!
great work..

Jozvex
01-25-2003, 02:14 AM
The close up of his face is really fantastic!!!

eFDay
01-25-2003, 02:20 AM
e338
"The animation.
It adds nothing."

I don 't agree at all with that.
There is certainly some problems with the final morf, but the scene looks like a scary and amazing celebration.
I've never seen such a thing.
I 'm really impressed.

InnerVortex
01-25-2003, 02:23 AM
HOOO ma balls!!!

dmcgrath
01-25-2003, 02:30 AM
ummmmm.... WOW

As a crit I would say on the devil that smiles at the camera, you should hold the pose for a bit longer. But...

WOW

Nurb'd
01-25-2003, 03:06 AM
I am also a big fan of your other work posted about on the net.

The smiling face at the end gave me goosebumps. Very creepy and you could for sure take that to another level. The bright day colors seem to kill some of the effect. I loved it but I could see your model scaring the hell out of people if placed in a darker setting

Great job :thumbsup:

stompbox
01-25-2003, 03:21 AM
WHOAH! I feel inexorably compelled to listen to Brazilian Death Metal !!!! :buttrock:

Congratulations, your stuff is amazing.

pigwater
01-25-2003, 03:51 AM
insane...beautiful stuff:eek: :eek: :eek:

e338
01-25-2003, 03:54 AM
Originally posted by eFDay
e338
"The animation.
It adds nothing."

I don 't agree at all with that.
There is certainly some problems with the final morf, but the scene looks like a scary and amazing celebration.
I've never seen such a thing.
I 'm really impressed.

Well, let's say it again.

I was Really impressed when i saw the close-up in B&W, then i jumped to the website to have a look at the other pictures.

And it is really amazing.

But the animation on the hill is not as good as the rest.
To be honest, i was more impressed by the tracking test on the website.
It's clean, but even though i'm not expert in tracking, it's a commonly used technique these days. So we aren't astonished anymore when we see strange things in "real shoot".

We all are impressed by the subject itself, which is REALLY original, maybe it should keep it's originality threw the animation.
Let there be real terror!

;)

eFDay
01-25-2003, 04:48 AM
And again i don' t agree.
For me the slow motion of the charaters is a big part of the of global mood of the scene.

+ Darkenning the scene as suggested above would be an error in my opinion.

All here is mastered and intentionnal.
That s the way i feel it.

CiF
01-25-2003, 04:58 AM
and then I don't agree !!!!

:cool:

for me the only thing wich is mastered is one modelisation technic:
with maya you can make a surface "live" and then draw a spline on it ....
And I thinks its the answer to all those who ask on this thread about the method .

And then I ad : this is a very well used technic, a original technic, and a beautifull technic. congrats Meats!

e338
01-25-2003, 05:04 AM
Yes monsieur ;)

I'm ok with the choice of a slow animation for the devils, but not for the other characters.
It's not about re-doing everything.
They are too slow, under-reacting.
That doesn't help understanding the action.
Making their moves faster would increase the impression of serenity and power of the devils.

sorry.
now i go to bed
and i'm sad
because my boiler is HS
and tomorrow,
it'll be Ice Age in my house

see ya

eFDay
01-25-2003, 05:09 AM
It's a matter of taste i guess.

platypus
01-25-2003, 06:05 AM
gorgeous. abso-frikkin-lutely gorgeous.

:drool:

dmcgrath
01-25-2003, 06:26 AM
I'm ok with the choice of a slow animation for the devils, but not for the other characters.
It's not about re-doing everything.
They are too slow, under-reacting.
That doesn't help understanding the action.
Making their moves faster would increase the impression of serenity and power of the devils.

I get the impression that the little guys are actually animating the Silver Devils. Am I wrong here?

OpTiX
01-25-2003, 06:28 AM
Very! Nice! :thumbsup: Great work.

lildragon
01-25-2003, 06:30 AM
Originally posted by eFDay
And again i don' t agree.
For me the slow motion of the charaters is a big part of the of global mood of the scene.

+ Darkenning the scene as suggested above would be an error in my opinion.

All here is mastered and intentionnal.
That s the way i feel it.

Hmm well I guess this is a genre I don't really study to well :shrug:

salud

Nurb'd
01-25-2003, 06:36 AM
making a scene with just one devil in a dark atsmophere, some red orbs (eyes) , smiling could be wicked

add some well placed lighting.. yikes

fender
01-25-2003, 06:56 AM
:scream: :scream: :scream: :thumbsup:

I'm a huge fan of your work!

thanks for sharing your artwork!!!!!!!!!!!:) please keep posting.

piajartist
01-25-2003, 09:08 AM
whats the poly count?

jussing
01-25-2003, 10:48 AM
Question for Meats:

Lovely work!

What did you use for the camera tracking?? RealViz MatchMover?? Or...?

Cheers,
- jonas

verti
01-25-2003, 11:01 AM
i really dig ur ART! interesting style...

keep us up to date...

thank you for creating such a original pieces...

verti.

Eddan
01-25-2003, 12:12 PM
The BW-pictures are awsome! Reminds me a bit about the"HR Giger"-style. Nice work!

Stimpy
01-25-2003, 12:13 PM
well, if you really want to PERFECT them, is there a way to get rid of the flickering of the last head in the 2nd movie ?? maybe its just the compression of the divx, but i think that ruins it a bit.

i did like the smile of the devil but the first time i watched it i thought it was going to show me the middle finger.

but brilliant idea otherwise, i like the atmosphere of that clip.

Etta-ink
01-25-2003, 02:35 PM
wWOWOw. . .:buttrock:

nemoo
01-25-2003, 03:20 PM
amazing stuff!

i have a qestion: how did you deinterlace your footage?
And what did you use for camera matching?

I have been playing around a bit with dv material but the deinterlacing and camera matching needs a lot of experience, which you obviously have.

Chappo
01-25-2003, 03:24 PM
OH MY GOD !!!!!!!!!!

I've seen your earlier work before, and again you knew how to maintain your quality style :)

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

this is just AWESOME !!

I am reading that you used Maya , but did you use it for everything ??? modeling / rendering ???

Just curious because the 'live' movieclip looks STUNNING ! :eek:

medula
01-25-2003, 05:27 PM
Meats,

2nd film - after watching it 15-17 times . . .

Technically: I see some flickers on the fingers of the last devil hands (index fingers) as well as the inside left temple - post clean up? :)

I agree with CiF about the surface material - Here's my take on it: looking at your previous test renders, I was hoping to see that same kind of surface corrosion that I saw in your earlier renders http://www.sketchovision.com/devil/dvl_p4_45.html . The contrast of the surface (not the lighting) and the corrosion are just clear enough. This creates a sense of age, which from what I can tell so far in your work is very import to your story. Since the specular is also affected, the surface looks a little to shiny and not as broken up compared to the image I'm referencing.

--
More Tech: For the "far too meticulous department" (Ignore this crap - 99.9% of the audience will NEVER notice it).

Composite? Black halo around the first big demons horns (against the blue sky).

Composite? Second big demon has the black halo all around his head.

Halfway through the film (8-9 seconds) I notice the shadow of the cameraman. His shadow is 20% blurrier than that of your subject.
--

Your work qualifies as the most significant change to happen since cubism (in my humble opinion). I am awestruck, mystified, anxious and shaking in my boots while watching your progress and your films. The lack of sound creates a poetic story and an eerie tingle that one gets only as a child. I fear the day that sounds are introduced. :)

You have injected inspirational jet fuel into the minds of artists everywhere. Thank you so much for the continued sharing of your work. It's truly a privilege to look over your talented shoulder.

I hope the feedback I have given you is what you were seeking.

panta
01-25-2003, 06:21 PM
AUHAAUUUUAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!! :drool: :drool: :drool:

fantastic man!

where you are.. .give us some hints about your modeling technique... :bounce:

meats
01-25-2003, 07:13 PM
Wow! Thanks so much for all of the replies!
Thanks Matt Clark for plugging me on the front page and huge thanks to lildragon for the CG talk award! I will display it proudly. Today happens to be my birthday so it is a wonderfull present.
Thanks everyone for all of their great feedback - especially about the second animation. I guess my first post was a little rushed (was taking off for the evening) and I didn't explain everything the way I usually like to. The devils on the hill was very much first pass animation and lighting test. Dmcgrath was dead on when he said that he thought the little guys were controlling the big devils. I started out with the idea of just having this big devil sculptures on the hill in a easter island style, but then after animating them, I thought it might be cool if the little devils were moving their parts around with the sticks, but I guess that isn't comming accross very well, so I will look into it. As far as the shadows go, yea, I'm having some problems with it. At first, the shadows were the perfect blurryness, but the depth map shadows were flickering so bad against the tiny wires that I had to keep raising the size of the dmap until it wasn't as noticeable. I also tried deleting alot of the smaller sub-pixel wires and that did help a little. I will work on that definately. For the smile at the end, I was just messing around with lattice deformations and moving points to make it smile. I like the idea, but it didn't work out so I have nixed it.
Compositing: For the first devil animation I didn't use any compositing, just rendered it out as a single frame. The second one was rendered out as four seperate animations (one for each devil) and comped in AfterFx.
Texture: The problem that I ran into when I went to animate these guys is that all of their textures in the stills are proceduals and I was hopeing to get away from having to parent different textures to all of the parts that moved, but I guess I don't have much of a choice. I'm sure that the work will be worth it - I do agree that it will help sell it.
Modeling: All of the modeling is done in Maya. This is the basics of how I do the wire models - I start with a fairly low poly version of the basic shape of my model then make it "Live" and draw curves all around the form, usually loosly following the wire frame. After sufficiantly covering the model, I then scale the low poly up or down to create different layers. Add curves. When I am happy with that, I then extrude nurbs tubes onto the curves and scale the control points of the individual tubes to be thicker or thinner in parts. I finish by weaving (virtual basket-weaving) the tubes back and forth - intertwining them. For the "etched" look, I use a shader by Richard Greenspan called "Echer" that can be found on highend3d.com (excellent - thanks Richard!).
Camera tracking: I used Boujou 1.3 on this particular shot, but have gotten great results with Icarus (http://aig.cs.man.ac.uk/icarus/) which is free for non-commerical use. I also have used Matchmover pro, which is great as well.

e338 - thanks for the comments and good luck with your heater - that sucks!

Nurb'd - I like your idea with a lone devil with glowing eyes in a dark background....I'll have to see how it looks.

piajartist - poly count - well, not too many polygons - it is mostly made out of nurbs. I can work with each model in near real time with a geforce3, I can't wait to see what the geforceFx will do.

Eddan - >>reminds me of HR Giger - People have been telling me that since I was really young - way before I saw his artwork. Back when I did a lot of airbrush work I heard that all of the time. I actually might be related to him in some way, his mothers maiden name is Meier...:p

Nemoo - >>deinterlace my footage - I use a Canon Gl2 dv cam and the main reason I got it was because it actually shoots 30 frame per second progressive footage (no feilds, just nice big full frames! It is sweet and makes a huge difference when tracking.

Chappo - yep Maya was used for everything - modeling, anim, rendering. I guess I am one of the few people who like the Maya renderer and have since the first Beta came out. I love Mental Ray as well, I just can't trust it yet - too many morning wakeing up and seeing nothing has rendered, crashes, etc..

Medula - thanks for your nice comments (probably the nicest thing anyone has ever said about me). I will take your advice - I agree completely.

Thanks again for anyone that took time to reply to this thread.
CGTalk rocks! :buttrock:
I'm re-animating and re-rendering.............

Nurb'd
01-25-2003, 07:20 PM
"Nurb'd - I like your idea with a lone devil with glowing eyes in a dark background....I'll have to see how it looks."

well if you do.. share it if you get the time

I remember when I first saw a picture by you. On some gallery http://raph.com/3dartists/artgallery/ag-ii1.html and I stared for a good 10 minutes. I thought what a amazing style.

I prefer the devil though over etcher... has true "freaky" value

:airguitar

PascalR
01-25-2003, 07:28 PM
As I already told you Meats, your work is just amazing:eek: :eek:
I really love your unique style !

Congratulations!

zegritch

http://www.3dluvr.com/pascalr

aspiretek
01-26-2003, 01:27 AM
Brought tears to my eyes.......:cry: :scream:

emilioG
01-26-2003, 10:53 AM
I don't see anything wrong with the animation except for the couple of steps the guy takes. But even then, it just looks like he's getting pushed around abit by the arm.

The only things bothering me are:

1) that texture on the last guy... what's going on there?

2) second to last guy. The facial expression changes linearely.

all in all, it's creepy, and I'll bet that's what you wanted. So it's cool.:xtreme:

mushroomgod
01-26-2003, 02:15 PM
great stuff...its nice to see somone doing somthing different:applause:

Killer03
01-26-2003, 06:54 PM
That is off the hook. Great job. :buttrock:

Modulok
01-26-2003, 07:34 PM
Your insane dude! :buttrock:

-Modulok-

Gonzo The Great
01-27-2003, 01:02 AM
some red orbs (eyes)

No... Too cliche. Do something else.

WIREFRAMES!!!! WIREFRAMES!!!!

syntetik
01-27-2003, 01:03 AM
very beautiful pictures from hell! :buttrock:
thatīs very different from many work iīve seen. maybe because thereīs more approach of a classic sculpter working with real metal parts.

and i think it doesnīt have to be animated. I would make some big beautiful prints out of it. kind of Mr.Kenneth A. Huff does.

Ocean Size
01-27-2003, 01:15 AM
Great stuff,

I love your attention to detail and the style. I'd like to see some wireframes of your work.

:applause:

janhath
01-27-2003, 01:04 PM
Bizarre,but cool.Wireframes would be interesting.Nice job.:thumbsup:

elvis75k
01-27-2003, 01:07 PM
No comments....

zaki7
01-27-2003, 04:21 PM
the realisme is impressive.
good job.

meats
01-27-2003, 09:41 PM
A few people have requested some wires, so here they are, split into two because of the high denisity:
http://www.sketchovision.com/web/cgchannel_post/dvl_nurbs.jpg
http://www.sketchovision.com/web/cgchannel_post/dvl_polys.jpg

I'm waiting for a chance to render the changes that I have done on the second animation, I will post when it is finished
:)

Baleur
01-27-2003, 11:06 PM
yeah it looks insane! lol

cuse
01-29-2003, 06:08 PM
little more than late on this one... but its fantastic!

really great stuff... :applause:

cuse

BassoLTD
01-31-2003, 03:03 PM
Wow, stuff looks great. Especially that close-up of the face. DAMN! Awesome man. Keep up the great work.

:beer:
~Lawrence

Muv Bloated
02-02-2003, 05:27 AM
Damn, these are all awesome. Inspiring too, even.

jelloshotsrule
02-26-2003, 04:36 AM
hard to restrain myself from going and copying the style just to see what i can come up with...

great work.

wtoddk
02-28-2003, 09:20 AM
Anyone know how to do an effect similar to this in 3ds max 5? That is, at least the effect of repeating a model procedurally over an entire mesh?

Aura
03-05-2003, 06:57 PM
CRAZY IDEA!!!!:eek: :eek:

toddicus13
03-06-2003, 12:02 AM
Meats, I've been impressed and intreged by your work for some time now. Your style in original and intricate, and gives me that third wind I'm looking for at 4 a.m when I get c.g block. Thanks and keep up the good work. :buttrock:

mehdianim
07-29-2003, 01:24 PM
you are just insane man... or just genius you pick...
That's beautiful work. I have never seen anything like it!!:drool: :drool:

Dragonrebourn
02-16-2005, 01:02 AM
The detail is insane.Nice!

CGTalk Moderation
02-16-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.