PDA

View Full Version : Apple issues a report concerning iPod "sweatshops"

Rhs_CG
08-18-2006, 07:05 AM
An excerpt:

"Like many of you, we were concerned by reports in the press a few weeks ago alleging poor working and living conditions at a manufacturing facility in China where iPods are assembled. Our Supplier Code of Conduct mandates that suppliers of Apple products follow specific rules designed to safeguard human rights, worker health and safety, and the environment. We take any deviation from these rules very seriously."

Here is the link to the full report: http://www.apple.com/hotnews/ipodreport/

DeadlyFreeze
08-18-2006, 07:23 AM
You can always trust the word of people getting accused :rolleyes:

PyRoT
08-18-2006, 11:01 AM
Pretty good to see this. Some of it does not satisfy me though. Nothing to do with Apple personally but this part sucked:
Our investigation confirmed that all workers earn at least the local minimum wage, and our sample audit of payroll records showed that more than half were earning above minimum wage.
I know in the US, if you have minimum wage life is extremely hard. Even if you earn a little above minimum wage. It is probably worse in those countries. Legally sanctioned explitation that's all it is.

But still, Good to see Apple addressing those other concerns. THey should have done these things beforehand though as should every other company. I wouldn't mind some internal Code of Conduct that required them to pay signficiantly more than minimum wage. SO that they can actually have a life not not depend on their jobs for mere survival.

Wabit
08-18-2006, 12:32 PM
I was recently in a cycle shop in town. There was a middle age customer from somewhere like China, or Japan. He was hunting around the shop for quite a while until the shop assistant asked him if he needed anything. Pointing to the shelf full of little rubber accessories and cycle gloves the customer asks “where are all these products made?. “Oh these are made over in the east, where you come from”, the customer responds with a concerned nod. The assistant then continues with a big smile “this is good yes..?” the customer replies with a simple “no”.

greekdish
08-18-2006, 01:36 PM
You can always trust the word of people getting accused :rolleyes:

And disgruntled ex-employees are?? :rolleyes:

JMulder
08-18-2006, 01:45 PM
The only real beef I have with the report is that it states that housing is available free of charge, then later says that the pay structure is too complex, with deductions for housing, food, etc...

In general the report appeared fair. Apple found some areas for improvement, and the manufacturer made some concessions. It was certainly a far cry from the orginal report.

mech7
08-18-2006, 01:56 PM
omg one third of the employee working more then 60 hours a week? That is sick a quarter of the people working more then six days in the week :eek:

pixelmonk
08-18-2006, 04:25 PM
And disgruntled ex-employees are?? :rolleyes:

sweatshop employees or Apple.. hrmmm.

PyRoT
08-18-2006, 04:28 PM
omg one third of the employee working more then 60 hours a week? That is sick a quarter of the people working more then six days in the week :eek:
Shocking I know. I wish someone could be accountabel for this. It is likely that in the future, people will wonder how such injustice could be so common and accepted. Kind of like how we look upon slavery in teh ancient greek and roman times.

jbradley
08-18-2006, 06:52 PM

You can't be serious. Ever hear about the hours employees work at EA (or countless other american companies)? Ever hear about the 10s of thousands of people working at McDonalds for minimum wage? This is somewhat of a pointless discussion because you're never going to really change the work conditions in other countries.

Almost everything you touch in day to day life comes from some type of environment as described in that document. Half of your computer and probably 90% of your wardrobe is made in a sweat shop.

Blame it on the far east governments ... and consumers who wouldn't pay for a product manufactured in the US. Don't blame it on US companies. I heard the iPod would cost in excess of $1,500 if completely "Made in the USA." Who'd buy that?

moving along...

opus13
08-18-2006, 08:32 PM
You can't be serious. Ever hear about the hours employees work at EA (or countless other american companies)? Ever hear about the 10s of thousands of people working at McDonalds for minimum wage? This is somewhat of a pointless discussion because you're never going to really change the work conditions in other countries.

theres a difference between working 60+ hours for (the local equivalent of) 50k per year, and 7k per year. if you cannot fathom this, then you need to sit back, turn off your monitor, and contemplate where your education has failed you.

(side note: McDonalds pays better than minimum wage, and they dont like people working overtime.)

jbradley
08-18-2006, 08:43 PM
theres a difference between working 60+ hours for (the local equivalent of) 50k per year, and 7k per year. if you cannot fathom this, then you need to sit back, turn off your monitor, and contemplate where your education has failed you.

(side note: McDonalds pays better than minimum wage, and they dont like people working overtime.)

Matter of fact, 60+ hours per week at McDonalds at 10 cents over minimum wage (the starting pay, which is typical at McD) an hour doesn't amount to much for the effort you put in. And the difference in the cost of living in the US compared to far east countries more than accounts for the difference in wages.

7k per year in China is roughly equivalent to 20-30k a year here. It's not big bucks, of course, but there are 10s of millions in the US living on that type of salary.

My education definitely has not failed me. Migrant worker treatment in the US is often worse off than far east work force treatment.

Fredl
08-18-2006, 09:01 PM
Just about every product you buy comes from a poorer country.

Is it possible to buy a DVD player that is not made in China?

The reason is that it's cheaper to manufacture in those countries, because the people get paid less and work longer hours.

PyRoT
08-19-2006, 03:41 AM
Blame it on the far east governments ... and consumers who wouldn't pay for a product manufactured in the US. Don't blame it on US companies. I heard the iPod would cost in excess of $1,500 if completely "Made in the USA." Who'd buy that?

Well, if the iPod cost 1.5k then people would have to settle for that wouldn't they? I mean, if the iPod suddenly cost $50 then we would be shocked at the current price too. Its just like, you know, getting broadband internet and not being able to go back to dial-up hehe

And.. I just hope that you wern't trying to somehow justify the sweatshops..

CGTalk Moderation
08-19-2006, 03:41 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.