PDA

View Full Version : How to achieve this look

Flog
08-18-2006, 06:50 AM
http://common.ziffdavisinternet.com/util_get_image/10/0,1425,sz=1&i=104207,00.jpgJust wondering if anyone has any idea in Vue how to achieve this look. Between claymation, realistic and cartoon at the same time.

Can VUE do it?

http://common.ziffdavisinternet.com/util_get_image/10/0,1425,sz=1&i=104207,00.jpg

Janthin
08-18-2006, 06:38 PM
While I'm not exactly an expert on VUE yet, I don't see why the program couldn't produce output similar to your screenshots. It's a very capable renderer, with a lot of lighting and material options.

Flog
08-18-2006, 10:43 PM
thanks, what I was looking for is to see if there is a good way to make those simple textures and if anyone is good at doing that.

chriswaner
08-21-2006, 09:19 PM
Hi Flog,

I created the image you have posted here--its part of an animated short due out by this time next year.

If you have any specific questions about the look development or modeling/texturing/shading/rendering techniques, let me know.

Incidentally, it was created in Maya.

You can find a clip in my animation demo reel at the following link:

www.chriswaner.com

Chris

Flog
08-21-2006, 10:16 PM
cool, thanks for the reply. My main thing is the textures and the look. I know I can get the lighting, but did you use procedural textures or painted textures?

How did you get the textures to look so simple and clean?

chriswaner
08-21-2006, 11:34 PM
Hey,

Yes, all the textures are procedural. The goal on the project from the beginning was to create simple procedural textures that were in some way reminiscent of the real world but were heavily simplified. I usually just grabbed a single aspect of the real-world equivalent and used that as a design element in the stylized texture.

The cleanliness of the look, however, I think is more than just the textures. It's really a combination of each aspect of the design being more or less equally stylized (simplified). The textures would not play on photorealistically modeled geometry. This is evident in the image that you have. The weak point in that image is the water, which doesn't hold with the style of the rest of the image. That image is older and that problem has since been remedied.

Finally, I developed a proprietary shader for this project called SLAB which lends much of the look to the render. The shader allows me to control the color of each object in the light and shadow completely independent from the light sources. The net result is an almost painterly approach to shading. The colors are not derived from a physical model but rather from a purely design point of view.

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Chris

CGTalk Moderation
08-21-2006, 11:34 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.