PDA

View Full Version : Skinning with envelopes?

xzevlin
01-24-2003, 07:13 PM
I've been playing with Motion Builder for a little over a week now. So far I've only been able to grab several vertices on a character and weight them to a bone when I import a 3ds file into MotionBuilder. Is there a way to speed the skinning process up, by adjusting weighting through envelopes? Individually adjusting over 8000 vertices on some of my characters seems like it'll take a lot of time.

icedeyes
01-24-2003, 07:40 PM
If you are using max, then create the envelopes in max and then export with the fbx plugins to motionbuilder...

Michel Besner
01-24-2003, 07:43 PM
As the main focus of MB is animation, the tools provided for sknning are functionnal but not deep in feature set. Having said that, I have seen users being very efficient with the skinning tool ...

It's hard for me to know what is the level of productivity in skinning you need so perhaps using standard skinning tool in your modeling app might be a good solution as well ....

M.

thedaemon
01-25-2003, 12:58 AM
I have been using MB built in skinning and find it almost to my needs. Have any of you MB developers ever used mirai? You have a similar approach and I like Mirai's approach. But I think MB needs to have a "smooth" auto skinning feature. Also reording the bones in the sknning window would be nice, and Mirroring left/right bones sets, ie the arm, would be greatly appreciated.

poserpro
01-25-2003, 04:25 AM
me too, using MB for a week now, and haveing question over how to import a 3ds mesh, so far I can create hierarchy bones with the mesh, but when it comes to Skinning, I still have not grabbed the rope for how to set the weights.

I d&D the mesh to the model pane of Skin, d&d the bones ( with branches) to the bone pane of Skin, they I am not sur what to do next.

I wish Kaydara speeds up the making for this tutorial pdf as advised. This is the most echnique I like to know.

next I will try Maya to do what the tut video teaches to make the boning in alien and export as fbx, so fat I just use a 3ds exported form C4D( its fbx is not available yet).

BTW, do we have any sample scene with booning ans skinning ready to use in MB for tutorial ?

And nice to meet thee here Michel. :-)

cheers.
pop

thedaemon
01-25-2003, 04:57 AM
read your manual on the skinning part. its easy, just press W to get into skinning mode, select your bone u want to skin, select verts u want to weight, with LMB, mmb deselects, RMB toggles. and on the skinning window set to 100%

poserpro
01-25-2003, 05:09 AM
I did read, but can't select the verts I want to weight, can't set the 100% or whatever value too. :(

Strange is, I ony made the hip bone influence zone with selected vertices, but no ther other parts,shouldn't the 'Automatic Bone Selection' do this trick, so we don't have to manually select the vetices for each bone ? confused for few days.

cheers
pop

poserpro
01-25-2003, 05:34 AM
OK, I got it, should select the vertices in view window. but can't we select using polygon- selection ( so you sraw a shape to select the ones you need ), not rectangle-select or select vertex by vertex ?

One more thing, how do I cancel the T/R/S tool? this is pretty basic, but the tool always sticks to whatever I select in the scene window and accidently move/rot/scl the selected one.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.