PDA

View Full Version : Tear...Sniff... Why Autodesk? Why?

RiKToR
08-17-2006, 09:40 PM
When I heard Autodesk was buying out Alias I was only a little worried, and when autodesk said they wouldn't change the next few planned releases and keep the same team, I felt better. Well thats over now!

Just cracked open Maya 8.0 and I have to say, second I made cube to see if MJ Polytools worked I was very confused when It gave me a message to drag and create my cube like 3ds Max... exqueeze me, wft? This isnt Max? So I ask is there any other little changes that Autodesk put in here that will make a person who has been using since version 5 get pissed off? Also is there anyway to get back to the original poly creation mode?

NUKE-CG
08-17-2006, 09:56 PM
Sure is.

Just crack open that 8.0 Documentation.

RiKToR
08-17-2006, 10:04 PM
Sure is.

Manual... who reads the manual, any way I found out how to change it back.

BTW I am not a max hater, I acutally use it as well but I was used to the differences.

NUKE-CG
08-17-2006, 11:18 PM
Not reading the manual is creative suicide. You can only learn so much from tutorials and experimenting. It holds the information on the raw fundamentals which makes building knowledge easier.

Give it a whirl one weekend, if you don't see a difference in your understanding of Maya in 7 days, I'll publicly eat my hat, I'm totally serious. :argh:

ftaswin
08-18-2006, 12:37 AM
@RiKToR,

I didn't need a manual to figure that one out. The answer is right 'under' your nose

ft

RiKToR
08-18-2006, 01:21 AM
Not reading the manual is creative suicide. You can only learn so much from tutorials and experimenting. It holds the information on the raw fundamentals which makes building knowledge easier.

Give it a whirl one weekend, if you don't see a difference in your understanding of Maya in 7 days, I'll publicly eat my hat, I'm totally serious. :argh:

Will do

...as far as the answer being right under my nose... yeah I found it probably the shock and all.

rasamaya
08-18-2006, 02:31 AM
Wow dude, .... There have been a lot of improvements, Why dont you keep using maya 5 and your Amiga 500. Change is always hard, but people wont come together if all we get in this forum is bla bla bla. Im glad your reading the manual now. It was a great read. Im happy.
I get grumpy too, but I regret venting in a place blooming with creative juice.

bye

Poof!

Technofreak
08-18-2006, 06:38 AM
i have been using maya 8 for a couple of months in beta until now, and i must say i am a little dissapointed with the poly tools, there seems to be several bugs that were not there
in maya 7, perhaps it is due to the convergence between max and maya,

for example thet split poly tool now finds it harder to detect edges, and many times when i end my split, it gets it close to the vertex but not quite,,,and i end up having to colapse a tiny edge between where i intended to end the split....

also...when u start splitting, after placing a split, you decide to slide it with middle mouse...
the tool decides that after u finish the operation, it snaps the position of that cut back to
where it was initially placed, not the tweaked position you intended,,,that one is very annoying...

there is other ones as well

working on complex objects, when working fast and when using delete edge tool,
maya can suddenly crash if you had the whole object selected or a few faces...instead
of one edge...atleast in can give error that it cant do it...not die without even backup save

the bridge tool sucks as well, only working in edge mode, unlike xsi's bridge

r u guys getting the same kind of feel that its moving a little backwards in some areas ?

TSB
08-18-2006, 07:53 AM
interactive creation is the beginning of the end my maya brethren.

MasonDoran
08-18-2006, 09:05 AM
for example thet split poly tool now finds it harder to detect edges, and many times when i end my split, it gets it close to the vertex but not quite,,,and i end up having to colapse a tiny edge between where i intended to end the split....

use the magnet option...there should be snapping functions to get precise placement

also...when u start splitting, after placing a split, you decide to slide it with middle mouse...
the tool decides that after u finish the operation, it snaps the position of that cut back to
where it was initially placed, not the tweaked position you intended,,,that one is very annoying...

i cant believe this was overlooked....grrr

working on complex objects, when working fast and when using delete edge tool,
maya can suddenly crash if you had the whole object selected or a few faces...instead
of one edge...atleast in can give error that it cant do it...not die without even backup save

assign "delete edge" to a hotkey...saves the need of using an extra tool...you will never have this problem again ::: I use alt+delete which will delete the edge along with its vertices...a simple script allows it to delete vertices as well

the bridge tool sucks as well, only working in edge mode, unlike xsi's bridge

but its consistent with the maya work flow philosophy....although having it work with all components makes more sense. But give them credit...a lot of the redundant poly functions are now compenent sensitive, which has been a request for a long time now.

buzzman
08-18-2006, 01:50 PM
Sure is.

I received my version 8.0 physical shipment yesterday and there was no printed documentation. Alias/Wavefront stopped shipping manuals around release 3 or 4 but we always got the nice What's New books with each major upgrade and the v8.0 online docs are SLOW, especially when using the index or searching topics.

westiemad
08-18-2006, 02:27 PM
I received my version 8.0 physical shipment yesterday and there was no printed documentation. Alias/Wavefront stopped shipping manuals around release 3 or 4 but we always got the nice What's New books with each major upgrade and the v8.0 online docs are SLOW, especially when using the index or searching topics.

i never had a problem finding what i wanted in the online docs, as long as i typed in something that was totally irrelevant to what i was looking for.

martinw
08-18-2006, 03:16 PM
i have been using maya 8 for a couple of months in beta until now, and i must say i am a little dissapointed with the poly tools, there seems to be several bugs that were not there
in maya 7, perhaps it is due to the convergence between max and maya,

So since you were on the beta program, I assume you reported all these problems you encountered at the time, since that's the purpose of the beta? Are you saying you reported them all but they didn't get fixed? Normally regressions from a previous version should have a high priority to get fixed.

buzzman
08-18-2006, 03:47 PM
i never had a problem finding what i wanted in the online docs, as long as i typed in something that was totally irrelevant to what i was looking for.

That was not my point. I can find everything ok, its the load speed I'm talking about. That and the fact there was no printed materials included with the shipment.

azshall
08-18-2006, 04:41 PM
Manual... who reads the manual, any way I found out how to change it back.

BTW I am not a max hater, I acutally use it as well but I was used to the differences.

The newbie on the job who sucks their thumb and has a disregard for learning, does not read the manual. The person on the job who is trying to make shit work and learn new things, reads the manual.

Try it sometime when you have no understand of specific MEL commands. You might be surprised at what you can learn.

az

azshall
08-18-2006, 05:01 PM

Dunno man, they seem fine to me on my laptop. Load right up, search is quick.. Docs are actually better in my opinion than previous versions.

I question you even using that computer to "use" maya, if loading a webpage of text is slow...

az

RiKToR
08-18-2006, 06:53 PM
Actually I never really said I owned it, its sitting on my instructors computer which is what happens for just before they do an upgrade at school. So, I thought there was actually was a manual. As far as pressing f1 for help I do that all the damn time, I solve most of my problems that way.

I havent played with it to much so Ill have to wait until the school installs it and then spend quite a few hour looking around the help file.

buzzman
08-18-2006, 07:24 PM
Dunno man, they seem fine to me on my laptop. Load right up, search is quick.. Docs are actually better in my opinion than previous versions.

I question you even using that computer to "use" maya, if loading a webpage of text is slow...

az
Lets see... 3D Boxx 8206, dual EM64T Xeon 3.6ghz, 3gigs ram 1.5tb raid, NVidia Quadro FX3400. I believe it meets the minimum system requirements.

beaker
08-18-2006, 07:55 PM
That was not my point. I can find everything ok, its the load speed I'm talking about. That and the fact there was no printed materials included with the shipment.Who cares, just use your printer or order the $250 printed manuals. I always found the printed manuals a waste of paper. I remember having 25 stacks of boxes for Maya 2.0 which I gave away to anyone who would take them. I was so glad that they stopped sending manuals after version 3.0.

The Maya and the Soft3d manuals were literally 1.5-2 feet thick. Such a waste. I've been using the online manuals since the Power Animator days. Save a tree, print out what you need.

NUKE-CG
08-18-2006, 09:06 PM
Documentation is fast for me, the search feature is not a simple keyword search, it does a few things like index and relevance which slows things down, but is worth the wait.

And the written documentation was like 15 books, my school had them. They cut that from the package when they dropped $5500/$9000 off the price...

Exo7
08-19-2006, 01:07 AM
Save a tree, print out what you need.Oh, what do you use for printing ? :cool:

Reading the whole doc would be a creative suicide, but online docs are the first thing I use when I'm stuck with Maya. Very relevant when the query is, faster than launching Maya itself for just answering a question.

Tear...Sniff... Why Autodesk? Why?Don't tell me... But I won't blame them now, that's too fast. Sentimentally speaking I'm on the other side yet for sure, never liked something special, opportunism maybe.

etobler
11-16-2006, 07:08 AM
assign "delete edge" to a hotkey...saves the need of using an extra tool...you will never have this problem again ::: I use alt+delete which will delete the edge along with its vertices...a simple script allows it to delete vertices as well.2byts, how were you able to assign delete edge as alt+delete? I looked but I couldn't find out how to assign any commands to the delete key. And what is this delete edge tool? I couldn't find a "tool" to do this, I know of a command but it seemed like you were talking about "using an extra tool".

Thanks.

CGTalk Moderation
11-16-2006, 07:08 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.