PDA

View Full Version : Eyelids

Michael5188
08-17-2006, 06:39 PM
When modeling a face, if you want to later rig eyelids to blink, do you model the eyeslids right onto the face, by extruding and shaping straight from the outline of the opening of the eye? Or do you model the eyelids seperate behind the opening of the eye?(as in the polys for the eyelids are in no way physically connected to the polys of the eye socket on the face) Not sure if that question makes sense, ask me if you need me to explain better...

Zeicon
08-17-2006, 07:27 PM
I use the former in Maya -- so the eyelid geometry is connected to the rest of the head. Then I create a target blendshape in which I drag the eyelid vertices down to create the illusion of a closed eye and then I animate it using that blendshape.

JeremyJessup
08-17-2006, 09:52 PM
I always build the eyelids directly onto the model itself, then animate the blinking with target morphs. I'm interested in hearing other solutions as well though.

Michael5188
08-17-2006, 09:54 PM
I modeled the eyelids right on the model, looks good. This is my first face rig, so I'll have to learn how to work it all out.

Any other methods though would be welcome in case I want to try some others out.

B-Mac
08-18-2006, 03:54 AM
Yeah, I would include them in the face model and use morph targets.

You could even go as far as using bones in the eye lids and wieght them to the eye lids to animate.

morphius-ms
08-18-2006, 04:55 AM
One that I used once was keeping the eyesockets seperate and just use a nurbs sphere's endsweep and begin sweep for the eyelids (ofcourse these were highly stylized characters but still).

Just a different method

CGTalk Moderation
08-18-2006, 04:55 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.