PDA

View Full Version : Lets get the ball rolling. Hands Question....

strick9
01-24-2003, 07:23 PM
I just got Motionbuilder recenty, and used the VTM's from 3-D Buzz to get started. I have not imported a model with the hands rigged yet. My question is when you characterize the model with the control rig, is there controls for each individual finger and stuff on there, because I noticed there is only one cell on the hands in the character Rig in the tool bar?

Sorry if the question is worded poorly I am still new to MB

Michel Besner
01-24-2003, 07:37 PM
there is no pre-built rigs for fingers (or toes) at this point so you need to build traditionnal contrainst to do so. We are definitively investigating this feature for upcoming versions ... (we are very client driven)

M.

strick9
01-24-2003, 07:42 PM
We are definitively investigating this feature for upcoming versions

Awesome!!! :beer:

CurtisG
01-24-2003, 09:36 PM
When Characterizing your character in Motionbuilder, there is a specific section for fingers, that gives you control of your characters hands, on a per finger basis.

We are looking at more advanced controls for fingers/toes, and as Michel posted before, we are allways open to suggestions and feature requests. Keep them coming!

Cheers,

strick9
01-24-2003, 09:42 PM
A really cool way to control the fingers in MB would be to create a slider type control similar to the ones in Maya, you use with blend shapes.

mrochon
01-24-2003, 10:32 PM
One good way that MB provides for animating Hands is by using the "Pose Controls" window.

It lets you create banks of poses for the whole character.
You can than reapply those Poses to any Character's Control Rig, at any point in time.

The cool thing is that Poses are stored for the whole body of the character, but they can be pasted on single Body Parts (like Hands), if you want to.
You simply need to be in "Body Parts" keying mode and have one of the effectors of a body part selected when you paste the pose.
You can see Body Parts highlight in the Character Controls window and in the Viewer whenever it is selected.

The Pose Controls also offer mirroring of poses and Match Pasting in Full Body keying mode. Match Pasting allows to paste a pose without moving the selected effector (Paste the pose relative to that effector).

Try it, it's really cool !!!

We are also currently evaluating how we could implement slider based controls for poses.

Have Fun !

Manuel:bounce:

Yodude565
01-26-2003, 03:29 AM
www.angelfire.com/art2/kryptikowns/images/choked.jpg

pixelkeg
01-29-2003, 06:33 AM
Hi, just a quick question. How can I see control rig keys in the fCurve editor without plotting to the skeleton? I'm not working with any mocap data, just hand-keying a scene.

Thanks
Sergio

mrochon
01-29-2003, 02:44 PM
Hi pixelkeg,
In MotionBuilder, to see Control Rig keys in the fcurve editor:
- select the effector for which you want to see the keys
- go to the fcurve editor and select the properties you want to see.

- The Control Rig, when you use Full-Body keying mode, keys all IK effectors and the whole yellow FK skeleton on T and R properties.
- In Body Parts keying mode, it keys effectors and fk nodes that are part of the currently selected Body Parts (ex: Left Hand effector selected = Left Arm Body Part selected and keyed)
- In Selection Keying mode, you key what is selected.

- You can also edit keys on the Transport Control timeline. Displayed keys are contextual to the current Keying Mode, or selected properties (in Selection mode only).

In case you didn't know, You can get Tutorials about keyframing and the Control Rigs here:
http://www.kaydara.com/support/documentation/tutorials/index.php?filename=index

Hope this helps.

Manuel

pixelkeg
01-29-2003, 04:08 PM
Thanks for the response. I'm not sure what I did, but now I can see the keys just fine.

Here's a screen grab of what I was seeing:

http://www.pixelkeg.com/cgchallenge/controlSet.jpg

Now the difference is that I can see the red "layer1" text next to the translace and rotate attributes in the fcurve editor. It works, but I don't know what I did to hange it.

Thanks,
me

mrochon
01-29-2003, 06:56 PM
I forgot to talk about layers...

MB has the concept of layers which lets you key different iterations of your work on different layers that are additive to each other.
You could for example key in Full-Body on Layer 1, and then key the Left Arm Body Part on Layer 2... this way you keep your iterations organized and isolated from each other.

when keyframing, you need to select the Current Layer to work on, either from the Key controls or from the Fcurve editor.
Once on a layer, you will only see curves that are on that layer.
when you set a key, it will be set on that layer.

When you add your first key to a new character, MB will ask you if you want to switch to Layer 1.
This is safer since we usually keep the Base Layer for plotting the Final Result of all layers combined.
The Base Layer is also the one that contains the original animation you want to tweek, for example when keying on top of a Mocap clip or of any already created animation.

Regards

Manuel

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.