PDA

View Full Version : Maya and Dual monitors!?!

Grgeon
01-24-2003, 04:16 PM
Hey guys,
I'm having problems using Maya 4.5PLE with two monitors...

I have the main screen on my main monitor, and I want to drag certain window tools(ie. hypergraph, outliner, hypershade) to the second monitor.

Once I drag it over though, the window tools do not function. Maya is still working and everything, cause if I drag that window back to the main monitor, it works fine.

Can you please help me out with this?

It's a new PC.
Athlon xp 2100
512 ddr ram
Geforce 4 TI 4200 128mb 8xAGP

Monitor 1- Viewsonic 17" crt flat screen
Monitor 2- Sony Trinitron 17" crt tube.

Thanks for the help guys,
George

klinker
01-24-2003, 05:20 PM
i think its a driver problem. do u use nview? it sucks! i suppose there is no opengl support. so u have NO performance on the second screen

madmanmagic
01-24-2003, 05:32 PM
I am having same problem, except I am on an SGI 02 with flat panel and a 17" CRT.

My problem is that they are mirror of each other? Can anyone tell me how to set this up to have one big desktop instead?

As far as the PC goes I had not problem getting that to work.

Thanks
dan

Grgeon
01-24-2003, 05:49 PM
Thanks for the reply,
I'm not really sure if I'm using nview... I'm kinda new to the PC scene.

So, how would I be able to get open gl on to the second monitor?

Madman, did you have to do something special to get it to work on a pc?

What can I do to fix this?

Thanks,
George

MDuffy
01-24-2003, 06:51 PM
I use dual monitors at work on a Quadro card. Make sure that you download the absolute latest drivers from nVidia. I have nView turned on in the drivers, and everything works well for me. You just have to play with the driver settings a bit to get it to work.

Good Luck,
Michael Duffy

miabe
01-24-2003, 07:02 PM
maybe this helps:

http://www.realtimesoft.com/multimon/forum/messages.asp?Topic=1324&tmpl=

I guess it depends pretty much on your hardware config. but check the multimon forum. good luck ;)

Grgeon
01-24-2003, 07:10 PM
Thanks guys!
I really appreciate it. I 'll give a try when I get home.

God Bless,
George

beaker
01-24-2003, 07:16 PM
>>I am having same problem, except I am on an SGI 02 with flat panel and a 17" CRT.

>>My problem is that they are mirror of each other? Can anyone tell me how to set this up to have one big desktop instead?

You have to buy a dual channel option for the o2 to get this to work. Probably way too expensive to make it worth it. Better off looking on ebay for one, or you could probably buy an o2 with one allready built in.

(B-HOLM)
01-24-2003, 07:30 PM
so if I wanted to have dual monitors (wich I'm considering) then I would need some special things to make Maya work on both? or did I misunderstand something?

bjarneheden
01-24-2003, 11:54 PM
At AliasWavefronts homepage you can read that this is a known problem with certain cards from Nvidia (Quadro4 740 for example).
http://www.aliaswavefront.com/en/Community/Support/qualified_hardware/QUAL/maya_45_NT.html

It says that nVidia Quadro4 (700XGL, 750XGL, 900XGL) has a conflict between nview and windows 2000/XP dual screen and that it may be fixed in an upcoming driver.

BUT!
It also says that it works with nVidia Quadro4 780XGL, 980XGL with the 40.72 or 41.03 Detonator Drivers!

That is the interesting part, becuse if you use RivaTuner 2.0 RC 12.1 (http://www.guru3d.com/rivatuner/) with SoftQuadro (included in RivaTuner) to tweak your drivers, you will basically make your card into a Quadro 780 XGL card with support for Hardware overlay etc..

Most of the functionallity in the Pro cards (Quadro4) are blocked in the drivers for the Game cards. It is only a few actual changes in the GPU on the pro cards (like antialiased wireframes for example).

RivaTuner remomes these blockings at the driver level.
Read more about this in the link I supplied above (Guru3D), they have a forum where people can help you (tha author of RivaTuner usullay hangs there as well).

Give it a try. I also have a Geforce 4 TI 4200 128mb 8xAGP and have done this. Unfortunally I only have one monitor at the moment so I have not ben able to try if it works with dual monitors...

Good luck!

Regards,

Bjarne

dvornik
01-25-2003, 06:00 AM
There are two options of monitor management with Geforce4 and Quadro4 cards. Actually three if you get into details. "Nview Span and Clone" and "Nview Dualview" (used to be called just "Nview" and "Dualview"). Last time I checked Maya worked with Span on the second monitor and didn't work with Dualview. How you switch between them depends on your OS and drivers version. In Windows XP Dualview is default and therefore Maya wouldn't work unless you disable it and enable Nview Span.

http://download.nvidia.com/windows/40.72/nView_20_Users_Guide.pdf

Read the third chapter on the exact differences between these two modes and how to activate them in your particular OS. Note that in older drivers panels look different, but the idea is the same.

3ds max on the other hand worked for me on both monitors in both Span and Dualview modes with 41.04. Dualview needs OGL settings adjusted for the second monitor OGL to work in max.

Monitor management features of Quadro4 XGL and Geforce4 Ti are identical in my experience.

Sieb
01-25-2003, 08:05 AM
Actually, I thought Dualview was XP's built in dual monitor support. The nvidia drivers will let you disable this and use Nview to control everything which only then, can you choose span or clone. Except on my 4600, that option always disappears so I can't turn off Dualview...

Maya windows will work on the second monitor as long as you have OpenGL enabled for dual screens but it will not let you span the main Maya window. Thats when you have to enable Spanning, and not the Nview desktop manager verison of spanning.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.