PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: subject for the next "Across-the-Board Mini Challenge"

jeroentje
01-24-2003, 03:35 PM
Hello fellow cgtalkies,

Remember the Across-the-Board Mini Challenge (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19292)? A.k.a. "The Cyborg Challenge"? Well, we're about to start a fresh one.

In short, the "Across-the-Board Mini Challenge" is about this:
* A 2D-er thinks up a great concept in the "2D artwork" forum.
* After the deadline, the thread gets moved to the "Work In Progress" forum.
* The 3D modellers can pick one of the concepts to model or model/texture.
* The concepter and the modeller will discuss the project of the modelling/texturing.

Although we already have some pretty cool ideas for a subject, we thought it would be a nice idea to let you in on the pre-phase of the Mini Challenge aswell.

Please give us your ideas of what the subject for the next "Across-the-Board Mini Challenge" could be.

We have some critereas about the subject though:
* The subject should be something that is a challenge for the concepter to use his/her imagination. Something that might bring out some diverse and surprising concepts.
* Must have an obvious reason to be modelled in 3D (so just "naked chicks" would be a lot of fun to draw, but doesn't make much sense ;) ).
* Subject must not look too much like the previous cyborg mini challenge or the previous challenges at www.cgchallenge.com

We're going fo the most challenging idea. When that decision is made by the mods, it's no longer open for discussion (we know you guys ;) ). What the rules of the challenge will be, will also be stated by the mods. We're basically asking: "surprise us with a very original subject".

Cheers,
Your 2D moderators, Kirt and Jeroentje :beer:

unLevel
01-24-2003, 03:39 PM
Once the project gets under way, do you think it should go under the Collaborative Team Projects forum?

That sounds more of what it is, a collaborative project.

It's up to you, though, I'm just a measly suggester...

jeroentje
01-24-2003, 03:43 PM
Okay, that's not a bad idea unLevel, but about the rules and place to move it to: we'll have that discussion internally with the admins ;)

We're asking for your suggestion for a subject here. So let's fire away...

unLevel
01-24-2003, 03:45 PM
Hmm....

"the automobile of the artist"

concept car/vehicle contest....

StratonAce
01-24-2003, 04:40 PM
How about bad girls with big guns! :) It's been all the rage in comics for years.

deathbard
01-24-2003, 05:15 PM
I guess the most interesting thing for both parties would be something with characters...How about mythological characters/creatures, this could range from greek monsters to odin himself... and of course there's a lot of stuff that's not so well know which artist can be very creative with...

Titan
01-24-2003, 07:31 PM
Why not develop a new final fantasy lead character, similar to the current running lord of the rings challenge, we could develop a new character or monster or whatever that could exhist in the FF universe..

Maybe have people specify which FF universe they are designing for though...

But then again maybe not everyone likes FF.
So we could maybe ammend it to something like design a character/race/monster for your favorite RPG game universe.

thats my 2

unLevel
01-24-2003, 10:45 PM
Ok, I had a pretty good idea, well at least I thought it was...

Have the 2d artists design a mascot for each of the forums here, then put them together as "team cgtalk"

Just a thought, and my 2 cents...

kinston
01-25-2003, 04:45 AM
how about what will u think about is Bruce Lee in year 2020....
think not much people will think of a future dragon rite? or maybe in other area like : Bruce Lee from hell, from underwater world...... how with he looks like in different location....will be fun , i think...

kinston
01-25-2003, 04:49 AM
or maybe a movie or animation character , how will it looks likw if they r living in another movies or animation...hehehe ... eg:alien post like the 007 ..... just an ideas,,

wildsheepchase
01-25-2003, 05:28 AM
Design a "one man band".......I always thought that would be a great challenge and it would be good for both 2d and 3d.

Drakmarr
01-25-2003, 05:39 AM
Hellish Fiends, it would be cool to see what people could come up with that is fitting to the horror genre. This would offer a broad range of possibilities from both parties and creative opportunites. Some cool nightmarish creature designs with some nice backdrops and what not, you know the little guys in your nightmares. :D

eLm0
01-25-2003, 01:26 PM
big mecha robots are always fun and hard sooo many diffrent idea either that or unlevels idea with the mascots for difrrent fourms or characters with serious attitude needs a bit of work with certian rules but leaves open to those who want to do gals with GIANTIC tits with big guns and for those who want to do like the big geek character with the over big glasses whateva:thumbsup: love the cross board thing

LucentDreams
01-26-2003, 05:31 AM
Originally posted by wildsheepchase
Design a "one man band".......I always thought that would be a great challenge and it would be good for both 2d and 3d.

I was trying to think of something really unique but when I saw this I was hooked. Its perfect, one problem we have with this is the recent works done, we just did a cyborg challenge, so robotic stuff might ber nice to leave for a challenge, and Fantasy characters we should leave from this challenge considering all the work in the many seperate LOTR challenges and the fantastic colorme challenge. I'd like something really different.

And hey this one leaves enough room for those that want to go mech or LOTR and what not, I mean a one elf band or a mech with various interchangeable music instruments.

I say something like this leaves more opportunity for variety in styles and such

DimitrisLiatsos
01-26-2003, 07:04 AM
:beer: :bounce:
Hi jeroentje , i just want to tell u that it's a great idea this "mini-challenge" thing and i don't mind what the challenge theme will be since the 2d artwork in this forum is so great and the 2d - 3d collaboration idea is great

:thumbsup: :wavey:

P.S : The " one man band" by wildsheepchase is cool idea...

Culann
01-26-2003, 10:36 AM
Well, we could create creatures/characters akin to those found in the horror or b-movies of old. Like The Creature from the Black Lagoon, or the Wolf Man or whatever the titles were. Also, Godzilla-like supermonsters would be nice. The 3D models should obviously not look photoreal, but as if they were indeed made of silicone, or plastic or whatever. I think it would be interesting to see what would come from that, but on the other hand, monsters have been done quite extensively lately. But this makes coming up with an original retro-creature even more fun, don't you think? Maybe I'm alone with that opinion, though...

I also like Wildsheepchase's One Man Band idea, though...

eLm0
01-26-2003, 11:57 AM
i vote one man band
or one whateva band hehe
DEFINATELY my vote is fairly sealed for this
great idea:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

wildsheepchase
01-26-2003, 04:53 PM
Wow! Glad you guys liked my idea!:beer:

Tommy Lee
01-27-2003, 08:41 AM
MY idea: WHAT WILL YOUR ALICE BEHIND THE MIRRORS LOOK LIKE AND WHAT DO YA THINK WAS MISSING?

I think thats an imagination-Breaker....
There are tons of ideas in it without any conformaty or straight thinking. Just twisted and mad. And for sure a challenge to the 3d freaks:beer:

That was an advertisment brought to you by...

Tommy Lee

SLiD3
01-28-2003, 09:34 AM
My 2 eurocents :)

Failed superheroes / supervillians ?

Cheers!
wp

MaDeuce
01-28-2003, 07:47 PM
Due only to the last challange, I think we should stay away from any sort of sci-fi theme. Perhaps something more fantastical or ancient. Thats why I like DeathBards idea of mythological creatures/gods. They wouldnt even have to be based on any specific historical lore, the variety would be endless. From heroic humaniods to giant seadragons, the only limitation would be the technology avialible in this fictional world. Wait...Kinda like Warcraft. I hope thats not too vague.

Castrol
01-28-2003, 07:52 PM
what about a monsters?:bounce:

unLevel
01-28-2003, 08:09 PM
Well, ya know....

If we used my idea about mascots for each forum, it would be easy to incorporate ancient warriors, gods, or sci fi creatures, bots, whatever...

Just a thought again, and I think it would easily display some of the greatest talents throughout the forums, like dividing the forum frequenters into groups, one to each mascot..

It's just a thought, so don't mind me...

RobertoOrtiz
01-28-2003, 08:12 PM
We could call it :
Monsters from the 30's

And use as inspiration the old Universal horror movies.
I got inspired by the posts from Culann and Castrol.
What do you guys think?
-Roberto

Castrol
01-28-2003, 08:14 PM
good idea!

eLm0
01-29-2003, 01:04 AM
i'm with sheep or unlevel
i think there two ideas leave the most freedom with some criteria

because theres always gana be debate bettween sci fi fantasy etc so we need a broader topic:wip: :wip: :wip:

Culann
01-29-2003, 01:40 PM
I don't think we should restrict it to the 30's, should we go for the monsters idea. The Japanese giant monster films for example developed somewhat later, I believe. Also, monsters don't necessarily have to be sci-fi or fantasy oriented. (Although, certainly, the mere idea of a monster is fantasy). The possibilities are endless!...well not quite, but there are some nice alternatives. Just think of the wonderful 3D animations of huge creatures with floppy rubber feet that bounce with each step. ;)

BooRadLey
01-29-2003, 02:09 PM
I'm fairly new to cgtalk, so I'm not sure if these ideas would apply but here goes:

1. The mind of a deranged man - environment (twisted I would hope :D)

2. A scene inspired by the works of M. C. Escher examples here (http://www.worldofescher.com/gallery/) <- I think that would be a really interesting one for the 3D people lol

Well, that's all I can come up with, hope someone likes em! :D

BooRadLey

RobertoOrtiz
01-29-2003, 02:46 PM
Ok how about this one

"Creatures from the Drive-In Cinema"

We could create monsters from b movies from the 50's.
Kinda like that ape with an astronaut helmet or "The incredible shrinking man" etc.

What do you guys think?
-R

Culann
01-29-2003, 05:26 PM
We could go with 'Retro Creatures' that wouldn't restrict the participants to a specific time or place other than the past. This, if accepted, would just be for fun, and no 'serious' creature designs would need to appear. But so far, feedback on this isn't that great, so I don't want to jump the gun and plan things out, or anything...let's just wait for some other ideas to come in. :thumbsup:

Tommy Lee
01-29-2003, 05:34 PM
Another idea:

MICROCOSMOS - Worlds smaller then an atom

There ya have all in it.

Cheerz:beer:

Tom

Culann
01-29-2003, 05:41 PM
That would be 'smaller than an atom' , Tommy.
Good, idea, although it could prove to be too antiseptic, because little could exist in such a world....I know, I know, it would be a more fantastic approach. ;)

LordEzzat
01-30-2003, 11:20 AM
i LIKE UNLEVELS IDEA A KINDA MASCOT FOR EACH FORUM..ALOT YOU COULD DO WITH THAT THINK OF ALL THE PRETTY WOMEN MODELS AND SUCH ....I MEAN AH NEVER MIND LOL

MaDeuce
01-31-2003, 08:50 PM
Mascots are a great idea, except for the fact that this is a mini challenge. I dont think enough people participate here to represent the other thousands of members on CGTalk. This subject matter should be reserved for an officail challenge. Also, there is absolutely no creative criteria......for example there is not toon forum or robot forum

unLevel
02-01-2003, 02:18 AM
Did I mention that I would help?

hehe....let's see.....

last challenge: 20 awesome cyborgs...

# of cgtalk forums: 35 (counting ALL of them, though I doubt that all of them would want or need a forum, ie, the studios hiring forum doesn't need one...that makes 34...hehe)

Well, I think that competition, especially b/t the software specific forums, would account for more than enough people working on it....

I think it would work VERY well, but everyone else's ideas are great....I've just always wanted to do this....

hehe...oh, when they're finished, possibly they could be showcased all together as "Team cgtalk"

Just a thought, well, thoughts...I can't count anyways, only derivatives...

btw, if we take the derivative of 34 forums=0
The ONLY thing I like about derivatives, they make the problem smaller....hehe

wildsheepchase
02-01-2003, 04:32 AM
There's alot of good ideas floating around. I'd like to add my 2 cents about some of the categories. I think it's been said, but the robots, monsters, and hot chics are soo done already that I don't really think it would really be a challenge for anyone to create something in any of those categories, would it? I like both of Tommy Lee's ideas and of course, I'm biased towards my own. The category should provide some formal guidelines...I think the mascot idea is a bit too broad. Who's to say what a forums mascot should look like?....it could be anything. The thing that is challenging is trying to assert your unique idea or style into some sort of established guideline. Tommy's Alice in Wonderland idea provides a bunch of guidelines that every picture would have to incorporate. The fun part is seeing how everyone develops their own unique twist to the same guidelines, you know? Please don't take offence, I don't mean to dog anyone's ideas in particular. Just my 2 cents:D

dmcgrath
02-01-2003, 05:10 AM
Okay, I say that Sheep has my vote. The "One Man Band" is a great idea.

But...

I'll propose, instead of "Girls Wtih Guns"

:)"Animals With Guns" :)

Then you can have the mascots thing, and the fantasy thing, and the guns thing. :)

brkofdon
02-03-2003, 09:20 PM
i dont want any gun, fantasy, sci fi, robot, and girls with huge boobs themes...i really want something different! maybe we can do something that deals with ?sports? i haven't seen anything said bout sports, but what about sports im not even sure myself but the idea hasn't been said yet.....and

how bout doing something dealing with music like was mentioned earlier in this thread about makin a band! thats new and you can definetly expand on that idea!

maybe creating a toy line....that would be kick ass!!!

or better yet, lets reconceptualize jim hensons puppets...create our own new line of puppets no one does puppets anymore lets create a new kermit or gonzo....????

i hope ive put out some newer ideas for u guys to tink about...lets see what happens...

LucentDreams
02-03-2003, 10:55 PM
still really like one man band, bu some weird sports thing would be nice too, i agree soething different from the typical genres, need to expand your horizon's as artists. look at that awesome dog painting that made the front page yesterday, most of us wouldn't paint it, but hey it was really promising to see so many artists appreciate it here, shame how many didn't comment that usually comment on front page things, people need to expand from one or two genres and experiment.

pregnant embryo
02-04-2003, 01:38 AM
I like the ONE MAN BAND idea! :thumbsup:

The illustrations/models would have both organic and non-organic elements. There is so much potential for diversity...

I've got my fingers, toes and eyes crossed for this topic. :)

ReinS
02-04-2003, 06:03 AM
What nature does when you aren't looking

Yup, that sounds like a cool idea to me. We all should draw whatever tree flower stone or vegetable you can image - alive. Everything communicates when we're not looking.. but how? do they have faces? are they actually moving? Are they evil or cute? or what about both!? That's all for the concepter to decide - and for the modeller to bring to 3d and even animate!

What do you guys think?

RobertoOrtiz
02-04-2003, 03:09 PM
Ok I have a few more ideas:

"Computers Gone Wild"

Come on guys. Show us your megalomaniac computers.
Be inspired by the exploits of Skynet, Colossus and HAL and show us your inspiration.

"When Sci-fi Fans go too far"

If you know any Everquest, Trek or Star Wars fans that dress up as their favorite characters in an costume that is three sizes too small you know how inspiring that horrific image can be.
Make us laugh and make us cry.

-Roberto

Stygian
02-04-2003, 08:07 PM
I like Roberto's Idea having some of those extreme Trekkie and EQ fans as friends... This could really be hilarious :eek:

eLm0
02-05-2003, 12:03 AM
stay away from monsters it has been done since the realease of monsters inc i no there are plenty of ideas out there for monsters but i'll become hard to come up wiht a orignal one

how long till we start
?:wavey:

digital_rhino
02-05-2003, 01:18 AM
I vote for "One Man Band" or for "what nature does when your not looking". Both have enormous potential, and i agree that most of the other stuff has been played out.

Alevice
02-05-2003, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by ReinS
What nature does when you aren't looking

I do really like that.

MaDeuce
02-05-2003, 07:14 AM
WHAT NATURE DOES WHEN NOT LOOKING....its got my vote....besides characters there is a lot of potential for scenery/environment. Very original

pestopedo
02-08-2003, 12:29 AM
Something that I like is to each individual develop a character as if they were in a strong man contest. There would be no limit to weapons or anything. Anything goes. And at the end when the people vote that would determine the chapion. Again this is just my suggestion. Peace.:)

unLevel
02-08-2003, 02:40 AM
Kinda like a "Giant Gladiator Arena" as which man would win in a head to head contest...

Contest for the strongest man would need weapons, so maybe making it a head to head violent contest would be cool....\

I don't know, you're idea sounds great to me...

pestopedo
02-09-2003, 02:00 AM
Thanks for your oppinion.Peace:)

Hellwolve
02-09-2003, 06:10 PM
Here are my sugestions (in the order they popped up in my head ;) )

-Alice in Weird Wonderland. Anyone seen Amercian McGee's Alice?

-Fight! Make an character that would appear in a fighting game (E.g. Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter)

- It's Good To Be Bad. For once, let evil win! This would mostly inspire battle scenes. (Inspired by Dungeon Keeper)

-Film Noir scenes. That says enough, right?

-Inner darkness. Everyone has got an demon inside, a dark, evil side. What would happen if it get's out?

-Gothic world. Design architecture for Gotham City. Add some gangs for instance.

EDIT: Almost forgot:

-Martial Artists.

-Sneaks. Hitman, Assasin, Sniper, etc, etc.

Right, these are my sugestions. Feel free to tear them appart as childish, immoral, or something like that ;)

pestopedo
02-11-2003, 04:17 AM
Ive allready started on my character show it to yall soon.He He.
Peace:)

Hellwolve
02-11-2003, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by pestopedo
Ive allready started on my character show it to yall soon.He He.
Peace:)

Is the subject of the contest decided then?

unLevel
02-11-2003, 12:05 PM
I don't think so...he just wants to be ahead of the pack...cheater..hehe..:wip:

Hellwolve
02-11-2003, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by unLevel
I don't think so...he just wants to be ahead of the pack...cheater..hehe..:wip:

Heh, that's good. That way, my sugestions can still be chosen.

Any comments on them? (Please?)

unLevel
02-11-2003, 01:03 PM
Well, since you asked so nicely..

-Fight!-I think this one would be interesting, cause everyone makes such great creatures, it would even be cooler if we could chose 2 or so players to animate in a vrey good battle, maybe somewhere in the desert or something...

-Gothic Architecture- I like this one too, but just because I'm an architecture nut..hehe...:wip:

I think throughout this thread there has been some VERY good ideas mentioned, it's just up to the mods decide I guess...

Hellwolve
02-11-2003, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by unLevel
Well, since you asked so nicely..

-Fight!-I think this one would be interesting, cause everyone makes such great creatures, it would even be cooler if we could chose 2 or so players to animate in a vrey good battle, maybe somewhere in the desert or something...

-Gothic Architecture- I like this one too, but just because I'm an architecture nut..hehe...:wip:

I think throughout this thread there has been some VERY good ideas mentioned, it's just up to the mods decide I guess...

I'm very curious what the mods will come up with. Perhaps they will do an poll with some of their favorite options.

ReinS
02-12-2003, 06:10 AM
Probably yeah :)

pestopedo
02-12-2003, 06:03 PM
Im sorry about that. But another idea poped into my head. Lets say the last 2 are chosen then they draw each others character fighting there own the the vote would begin again to determine the winner of the 2. Again its just an oppinion. And again sorry for the confusion. Peace:)

Ionized
02-13-2003, 02:21 AM
Still new here. So good to see such an active community

A lot of great ideas. ONE MAN BAND is great.. it leaves a lot of scope for interpretation.

My 2 cents..

RENNASANCE MEN (OR WOMEN)

mactabilis
02-15-2003, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by Culann
Well, we could create creatures/characters akin to those found in the horror or b-movies of old. Like The Creature from the Black Lagoon, or the Wolf Man or whatever the titles were. Also, Godzilla-like supermonsters would be nice. The 3D models should obviously not look photoreal, but as if they were indeed made of silicone, or plastic or whatever. I think it would be interesting to see what would come from that, but on the other hand, monsters have been done quite extensively lately. But this makes coming up with an original retro-creature even more fun, don't you think? Maybe I'm alone with that opinion, though...

I also like Wildsheepchase's One Man Band idea, though...

Yes, B-Movie monsters!! No "The Blob" though, hehe

pestopedo
02-16-2003, 10:24 PM
Who chosses the next topic of the discussion for the challenge.
? Is it a vote? And how long does it take.Peace:)

MaDeuce
02-17-2003, 02:45 AM
Heres an idea working on the movie monsters theme. A Tribute to Ray Harryhausen. All those cool claymation movie creatures from movies like Clash of the Titans and Sinbad. These arent B-movies, so lets just call it old school movie monsters and we can incorporate the B-movie buffs as well

jeroentje
02-17-2003, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by jeroentje
(...)When that decision is made by the mods (etc.).

Okay guys, thanks for all your great input :beer:

There are some very original ideas being posted and we are certainly keeping that list for future minichallenges (or maybe even cgchallenges, who knows?). Thanks again :)

We (your 2D moderators) have made up our minds and we have choosen a subject.
We'll post the final subject and the guidelines for the next "Across the board MiniChallenge" around the end of this month.

Cheers,
Your 2D mods, Kirt and Jeroentje

Hellwolve
02-17-2003, 03:39 PM
Alright! Lookinf forward to it!

Well, not that I'm gonna enter, but it'll be great to see great stuff again :bounce:

Who knows, it could be one of my ideas ;)

Rice ManX
02-25-2003, 08:38 PM
Oops came too late u guys already decided the subject! lol

ReinS
02-27-2003, 01:34 PM
W00t!! this is about the end of the month Jeroen :D don't forget :)

Kirt
02-27-2003, 03:46 PM
We're going to put the new challenge up right after the next CgChallenge is announced. Hang in there folks. :thumbsup:

Hellwolve
02-27-2003, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by Kirt
We're going to put the new challenge up right after the next CgChallenge is announced. Hang in there folks. :thumbsup:

And when's that?

(sorry, not around long enough to know that :p )

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.