PDA

View Full Version : Unreal Fortress 2003

UNF2003|Jason
01-24-2003, 03:53 PM
Im sorry if I have posted in the wrong section, but anyway I am the Project leader for unreal fortress 2003, we have hit a dilema and that is we have models that are in desperate need of a skin. If anyone is interested in skinning our player and weapons could they please contact me or leave a message here. Im sorry but we cannot afford to pay people for there work, but the reward is that your skins will be seen in a high profile mod for Unreal tournament 2003 and you will be working with a friendly and skillfull and mature team on a mod that will see the light of day.

Here's a screenshot of our unskinned sniper, hopefully this interest you into joining our team, we also have concept art for people to follow.

With thanks :thumbsup:

UNF2003|Jason
01-25-2003, 08:01 AM
sorry for the file corruption :\

C'mon guys we have models sitting here in need of a skin, someone atleast show some interest in something that doesnt involve ww2, counterstrike or dragon's.

If i end up skinning then its going to look pretty dire :)

Dinodiegus
01-28-2003, 06:24 PM
hey mate if we paid to study in 3D, why shouldn't you pay us to make you skins?

Life is not free, it costs an enourmous amount of money to study in 3D. We should at least get payed for the work we do no?

Sorry man but the idea of working for free ain't funny at all after all the money and effort we put to learn 3D.

thats my 2cents!

UNF2003|Jason
01-28-2003, 06:42 PM
Look I cam here asking for help for someone to skin our models, its for a total conversion for Unreal tournament 2003. I am working for free on Unreal fortress 2003 myself mapping and leading the team its going to be free for the public to download which means alot of people will see the skin's and hopefully for you or anyone else a software company will take notice of your skin's and hire you. Unreal fortress 2003 isnt a half penny mod it's a game that has seen many engines since quake.

As for study well I really feel for you, I studied for years to be a proffensional panel repairer, welder But when i left collage I found out that my profession had a catch 22 situation no experiance no one will hire you, if no one hires you you cant get experience, but if a friend has a crash and come to me for help I wouldnt turn him down, because I feel bitter that I studied for all them years, im aksing for help not the earth.

polygun
01-30-2003, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by UNF2003|Jason
Look I cam here asking for help for someone to skin our models, its for a total conversion for Unreal tournament 2003. I am working for free on Unreal fortress 2003 myself mapping and leading the team its going to be free for the public to download which means alot of people will see the skin's and hopefully for you or anyone else a software company will take notice of your skin's and hire you. Unreal fortress 2003 isnt a half penny mod it's a game that has seen many engines since quake.

As for study well I really feel for you, I studied for years to be a proffensional panel repairer, welder But when i left collage I found out that my profession had a catch 22 situation no experiance no one will hire you, if no one hires you you cant get experience, but if a friend has a crash and come to me for help I wouldnt turn him down, because I feel bitter that I studied for all them years, im aksing for help not the earth.

sorry to hijack the thread, but i agree with you. just felt like saying that.

mmh.Nemo
01-31-2003, 01:51 PM
how about you just put up some models for d/l here and visitors grab them and skin them.
I myself really cant commit myself to this mod but even i have a couple of spare moments here and there and i could use these to help you out - in fact instead of writing this post i could load up your model in my app and start painting right away ;)

so just gimme something to toy with - im interested what the unreal engine does with a skin of mine.

UNF2003|Jason
01-31-2003, 04:20 PM
Hey thanks nemo were really appriciate help :thumbsup:

When anyone skin's anything please make sure they put a read me file in there so we can give credit to the artist and post there link on our site.

We need a red and blue team version of the player model's, one thing I will say please do not use these models that I post for anyother mod, im not saying anyone would BUT well you know........

Anyway here the scout I will post the arms soon and the sniper.
When skin is finnished I post up a pic of the model and skin ingame.

EMJOY!!!!!!!!

http://koti.mbnet.fi/fpg/unfscout.zip

mmh.Nemo
02-01-2003, 01:55 AM
could you give out an .obj file, too?

And am i allowed to change UVs on the piece? Or will that give unpleasant results?

thnx in advance

UNF2003|Jason
02-01-2003, 02:12 AM
If you needed a .OBJ file version then I could try and get you one our modellers only use 3dmax and milkshape, also if you change the skin map we would have to import the model again, there is a PSK file there so if you wanted to view the model and look at the skin then you can use Upaint to do it ( i made a crappy test skin for it). If you really need these then i'll have a word with modellers and ask them to try and sort somethig out for you.

mmh.Nemo
02-01-2003, 02:40 AM
an .obj file would be fine. The UVs i will generate shouldn't give any troubles - at least i hope so since i dont know the unreal engine - its a test ;)

oh btw. - what texture size should i aim for? 256 - 512 - 1024?? more ? ;) guess not

UNF2003|Jason
02-01-2003, 03:39 AM
ok i'll ask my modellers for the file type you require, the skin maps should consist of 2 1024X1024 BMP's one for head and one for body.

I'll get the files up ASAP :bounce:

UNF2003|Jason
02-02-2003, 01:06 AM
Hmmm getting an .obj file type is proving really hard to get :( we cant export from max I gather .Obj is a lightwave file type, I couldnt even import any of the file types into my maya, and even then if I could I wouldnt be able to export it into .obj file type. Do you know if there's a plugin for max to export .3ds into .obj ?

mmh.Nemo
02-02-2003, 03:02 PM
.obj is an alias wavefront file format - Maya.
And after a little reading i did i get it that this is the default file type UT2k3 uses.
There are tutorials on how to work with 3dmax as a 3rd party app so i guess it should be easy to get the models for maya.

In fact i just read, there'd be a stripped down version of maya that ships with UT2k3 - sorry thats about all i could find out (though it sounds really promising).

I hope i could be of assistance so far - and im still waiting to lay my fingers on the models ;)

P.S.:conversion tools for many file types exist - most of them cost money(3dexploration), others are free but dont translate the files too well. - but the point of my post is - this shouldnt be needed anyways ;)

UNF2003|Jason
02-02-2003, 03:17 PM
well we tried to export them from max with no success, unless of course theres a file type that can be imported into maya that can be exported from max, if so list them for me And i'll seee what i can do.

Yes I have maya that ships with UT2003 but I had no succes with that either.

We have these models so far to skin :-

Rocket launcher
Sentry gun
Engineers pistol
Sniper
Scout (you have)

Coming soon :-

Shotgun's (2)
Spy (lurvley femal model)
Heavy weapons guy.

As were getting in Concept art were getting models done.

When you said it doesnt matter do you wish me to pursue trying to get an imported/exporter or are you ok with how the files come. Also be aware that we would need the models in 3ds as we have to reinport the model BACK in PSK format, Max is the gamer modellers choice for Mod's.

If you wish I can post the whole lot for you, but I need to know how to resolve the issue of file types (if needed).

Rabid pitbull
02-02-2003, 04:41 PM
there has to be a max> obj file plugin, it is one of the oldest formats, and very common. i am 99% sure a little google searching would locate it, and btw the maya ple included in ut 2003 will not be usefull for more than learning the app, all the files it uses are non usable outside of the learning version.

UNF2003|Jason
02-02-2003, 05:47 PM
Yeah its called milkshape :)

.OBJ files with skin maps coming up

UNF2003|Jason
02-02-2003, 06:28 PM
Ok heres the scout and the sniper.

We need a red and blue version of them.

With thanks Jason UNF2003

http://woodie.zapto.org/uf2k3/scout.zip

http://woodie.zapto.org/uf2k3/sniper.zip

uday
02-02-2003, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by Dinodiegus
hey mate if we paid to study in 3D, why shouldn't you pay us to make you skins?

Life is not free, it costs an enourmous amount of money to study in 3D. We should at least get payed for the work we do no?

Sorry man but the idea of working for free ain't funny at all after all the money and effort we put to learn 3D.

thats my 2cents!

this forum is for non paying work "MATE"?
why flame some one if u dont care about doing it in the first place?

i agree with mmh.Nemo
just post them models and i m sure u ll have more than 1 skins 2 chose from eventually.

mmh.Nemo
02-03-2003, 01:36 PM
great stuff :)

ok now i can get ready to rumble. Just one more thing that bothers me atm *sigh* - you said you want 2 maps for the model (body+head) but you provide a complete mesh.

I know traditionally i should be able to work with the UV layout you provide - but since this method wastes huge amounts of texture space i came to use UVTiles as my mapping method (generating UV Sets on a per-poly basis) thus using up to 99,5% of the texture space for the model.

Ok so now im dumping your UVSets and this leads to the following question:

Is there a way to get the 2(head and body) as separate files or can you give me a hint as to where to cut the two apart?

Maybe its not so big a problem where i cut - but before i start id like to know ;)

Other questions : do you have a website for the mod and can you give me an email where i can send you stuff?

okies baba :wavey:

UNF2003|Jason
02-03-2003, 05:25 PM
Ok in the zip file should be two set of skins One for the head and one for the body, if there isnt then im puzzled.

Basicly the skin maps should be 1024X1024 BMP files Not being a modeller or skinner myself the idea is I suppose that having two skin maps, one for the head and one for the body allows you to put more details into the facial features etc.

A tempory website is up at the moment because the last website we had was giving us a major headache. The new website that is being made is hopefull going to last us a long time, also has hidden team features in there that we need, so take a look at the site but bear in mind that we have not posted anyting on the tempory site untill we get this new site finnished,

www.planetunreal.com/unf2003 you see the new site in progress on the left hand side.

Also my email is Jason.church@ntlworld.com

UNF2003|Jason
02-08-2003, 10:46 PM
Nemo We have emailed you about 3 times, did you get the email from either me or integer ?

mmh.Nemo
02-09-2003, 10:43 PM
Sorry Jason,

no i've never received an email from you since this last post - this seems to be a problem of larger scale since ive received questions from various people asking why i did not respond or if i did get mail - i did not ....

I am contacting my provider right now if there have been problems with their servers - though that should result in error messages while sending - maybe it choked them up and they will turn up after i inquire with them serverpeople.

Maybe we should stick to either this or your forum for further discussion on the matter - prime questions:

did the testskin work?
did the separartion of head and body work out ?
any noticable seams in the texture ?
...could i see some screenshots of the model in ut or max ?

Maybe you could grant me the right to post in your internal board, too - as some internals should not go out to public channels ;)

ok so much for now

sorry again for the lost mails

UNF2003|Jason
02-09-2003, 10:53 PM
yup were give you access to our private forum, have to speak to hunter to ok you

UNF2003|Jason
02-09-2003, 10:53 PM
yup were give you access to our private forum, have to speak to hunter to ok you

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.