PDA

View Full Version : Camera FOV Maya to Motion Builder

magilla
08-16-2006, 08:10 AM
Hey,
I get a big difference in FOV when I import cameras from Maya to MB. The settings say the same, ie FOV 70 in Maya is slightly wide - FOV 70 in MB is totally fisheye.

Is there a conversion chart somewhere? How can I match them without manually tweaking the values (considering that I then need to get these cameras back to Maya.

--magilla

chellescreations
08-16-2006, 04:31 PM
I had the same problem and could never get it to work going from Maya to MB. But if you create your camera in MB and go to Camera Advanced Settings and change your focal length it works much better. Then the cameras go back to Maya and seem to work properly. The FOV in MB seems to just be some arbitrary number...but the focal length seems to translate exactly the same into Maya. Also changing the FOV adjusts the focal length and vice versa, but I can't seem to see an obvious translation between the two.

magilla
08-17-2006, 01:05 AM
I had a revelation - merge the cameras and they work - import the cameras and they're screwy.

They're still not perfect but at least they show up as cameras that can be added into the switcher and all of the interests are still attached.

--magilla

LoneCanuck
08-17-2006, 11:48 AM
I think Maya and MB also use different aperature types, well. One is horizontal and the other is vertical (not sure which is set to what).

-P.

eakesy
08-23-2006, 07:45 PM
Hi, from what I understand, the difference you are seeing between the two applications is caused by the Render settings, not the Camera itslef. Basically, Render settings are not transfered through the FBX format. This means that you must make sure you are using the same render settings (resolution, etc.) in both apps.

Here is an example of what I mean:
In Maya, look at the resolution you are using in your Render settings. Let's say it's set to 640x480. Export this to FBX. In Motionbuilder, load the file. By default, MB sets the "Picture Format" in your Render Settings to "From Camera". By default, MB sets your viewport "Resolution" to "Window Size". This means that you are rendering the viewport resolution, which is much wider (fisheye) then the resolution previously used in Maya.

To correct this, simply change your Render Settings for the "Picture Format" in MotionBuilder to match the resolution set in Maya, in this example, 640x480.
You could also change the Camera Settings for the "Picture Format" to this resolution to view the correct resolution directly in the viewport as well.

Hope this helps!

CGTalk Moderation
08-23-2006, 07:45 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.