PDA

View Full Version : Keith Lango Editorial: (The Ant Bully: My Take )

RobertoOrtiz
08-15-2006, 09:52 PM
Quote:

"The Ant Bully: My Take (http://www.keithlango.com/wordpress/?p=206)
Wheew! Itís been an absolutely insane week here. I have so much stuff going on and Iíve been busier than a one legged man in a butt kicking contest. However I did want to take a moment to get in some trouble and express an honest opinion. So Iím here to spill my guts on The Ant Bully film, which came out in the U.S. last weekend to rather tepid results (a mere $8.4mil opening weekend, failing to unseat a wavering Monster House even in its second weekend). When itís all said and done if TAB follows formula it will end up pulling a rather anemic $25-29mil in US box office. Not exactly a real winner there. Maybe it will grow some legs, but Iím too pragmatic to think thatís very likely."

>>LINK<< (http://www.keithlango.com/wordpress/?p=206)

-R

Flog
08-15-2006, 10:23 PM
I think the main reason this movie was not hitting it as big because this summer has a lot of competition and prices are too high, so you have to pick and choose which one to go to.

Right now at the theatre you have 1) Pirates 2) Telledega Nights then on top of that you have 4 Kids CG movies.....Cars is still there, Ant Bully, Barnyard, and Monster House.

I'm sure all of them are good, but with ticket prices rising you really only have enough money to take your kids to one of them. So now the money is going to be distributed...which one to see? Well then again I think the kiddies and most parents chose Pirates. And don't say parents aren't taking their kids to see it. They are despite the mature level of the show. If parents let their kids dress half naked, play violent video games, then I'm sure they will take their kids to see Pirates as a family despite the PG-13 reating. So now those animated features are competing for the dollars of families on vacations, where do you think they will spend it. On a supposed sure thing in way of Pirates and if they go to the animation fest, which one will they chose. So now you are watered down in how much money each will receive.

Pirates did so well because the first one was really good. People loved it and so were willing to make the investment to spend money on Pirates. High ticket prices are what is really killing box office and the chance these movies have at turning a profit. You have to invest to much in them and don't get the high return so people are more selective on what they go see.

Ant Bully does look fun and I plan to watch it later in IMAX glory.

jewalker
08-15-2006, 11:57 PM
I don't think this movie did a good job of differentiating itself from other movies. I'm not sure how well it would have done even without the competition from other CG films. Everytime I saw a trailer for this movie I felt "I've seen this before." I don't have the time or money to spend on something I've seen before. If this movie truly has something to offer that is new and different then marketing did a bad job of selling the movie. Perhaps it is the lack of passion and ownership for this movie that made it feel like a retread.

amannin
08-16-2006, 07:36 AM
i'm already getting sick of CG films this year --- I think Monster House will be the last one I see this year --- unless something super freak'n amazing comes out, and i mean SUPER FREAK'N AMAZING!

but as the above poster mentioned -- this movie didn't really have anything original to offer and got put into the same timeline as Pirates and Monster, etc... so i'm not surprised to hear it didn't do well.

Charkins
08-16-2006, 06:43 PM
Honey I Shrunk the Kids + Antz = Ant Bully.

It looks as though the artist behind the movie did a great job - from the screens/trailer I have seen. However, I am content with looking at screens and a trailer rather than spending money to see it in theatres over any other movie.

_vine_
08-16-2006, 07:03 PM
The costs of going to see a movie aside, who needs another ant movie? We have a "Bugs Life" and "Antz" already. Are we going to get stuck with an ant movie from every major studio? I like the idea that the kid gets invovled in saving the ants instead of killing them, but I still feel like it's too much fo the same old stuff.

I'd like to see it to check out how they treat the story when it comes out on DVD. For now it can sit in the depths of my Netflix queue.

richcz3
08-16-2006, 11:24 PM
I think its simple in that the subject of ANTS is all tapped out.
Give it rest and make a movie about kids toys coming to life....again.

ed209
08-17-2006, 07:56 AM
Give it rest and make a movie about kids toys coming to life....again.

You don't even realize how close to the truth this joke really is.

Flog
08-17-2006, 04:19 PM
You know what CG theme I think should be explored further. The superhero genre or an alien one.

There is so much room in those Genres to make a kids movie.

I know Incredibles was made and was great but I'm talking old school Superhero fun.
I'm just thinking of old school comics. You know like when Spiderman came out. It was still for the kids in a way but not fart jokes, peepee jokes or a nice song and dance. They didn't have a family of superhero kids. He was a lone hero fighting bad guys.

Oh well I think there are old themes that can be revisited and new ones still to be seen. Quit with the animals already.

You have the power of creating anything in your hand and you make another talking animal movie?

AdamHerbert
08-17-2006, 08:00 PM
Oh well I think there are old themes that can be revisited and new ones still to be seen. Quit with the animals already.

You have the power of creating anything in your hand and you make another talking animal movie?

I completly agree. There are literally millions of choices to use as characters in an animated movie, yet we keep seeing the same subjects. At this point I would rather see an animated film about a family of rocks that don't do anything than another talking animal one.

Flog
08-17-2006, 08:06 PM
Well here is your wish, way better than rocks, this movie is literally about a peice of crap.

Honest and I heard it was actually pretty good. It is a "CRAPPY" movie.

http://www.doggypooworld.com/webgallery/doggy01.jpg

http://www.doggypooworld.com/webgallery/doggy08.jpg

http://www.doggypooworld.com/webgallery/doggy09.jpg
http://www.doggypooworld.com/webgallery/doggy03.jpg

AdamHerbert
08-17-2006, 08:36 PM
LOL! Holy crap!

Papa Lazarou
08-17-2006, 08:57 PM
There'll always be talking animal movies. There's a lot right now, and people might get sick of them for a while, but it's a staple that goes back to Looney Tunes and Mickey Mouse. Talking insect movies have a much more limited appeal.

Ant Bully may have seemed like a bit of a retread, but I don't think it was intentional. Hey at least it's not this:

http://i8.ebayimg.com/03/i/05/bb/9c/0b_1_bo.JPG

Talking poo movies on the other hand, that'll never take off.

Slurry
08-17-2006, 10:23 PM
LOL! Holy crap!

Let's leave religion out of this.

:D

urgaffel
08-17-2006, 10:57 PM
I think Keith is pretty spot on in his analysis... There's something about corporate movies that shine through. I mean, there's got to be more passion in that pile of crap a couple of posts above than in the boardroom where they planned Antbully ;)

A movie about poo? The closest thing I can think of is Mr Hanky the Christmas Poo in Southpark and that wasn't really as cute as that little turd up there o_O

Papa Lazarou
08-18-2006, 01:53 AM
There's a certain truth to Keith's analysis, but I think ultimately the reason it failed is because it came at the tail end of a very cg-overcrowded summer, and looked too much like a rehash of Antz and other films to make it worth another expensive cinema trip. If it had come out in advance of those films, I feel it might have stood a better chance, even still I don't think there was ever enough of a hook for it to be a big hit.

I don't think it failed specifically because it was corporatised and lacked soul. After all many such films have made fortunes. I saw it, and didn't find it any more corporatised than Sharktale or Over the Hedge. It's not the perfect film, and doesn't have any strong appeal, but the story is adequate and it's a decent source of eye-candy if you're ever stuck.

BillB
08-18-2006, 03:00 AM
You know what CG theme I think should be explored further. The superhero genre or an alien one. TMNT! Bring it on! Man that trailer got me jazzed.

en-gram
08-18-2006, 09:45 AM

hmmm...here are some that a few people seem to like...

Dumbo
Bambi
The Three Caballeros
Lady and the Tramp
101 Dalmatians
The Jungle Book
Robin Hood
The Rescuers
The Fox and the Hound
The Lion King

:shrug:

CGTalk Moderation
08-18-2006, 09:45 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.