PDA

View Full Version : topology vs no topology base mesh

Fudge
08-15-2006, 02:31 PM
hello all, i have the dvd from zack petroc, he uses a very simple base mesh with no topology on the model and then sculpt detail onto it then make a mesh with decent detail later. so i wondered what are the advantages and disadvantages of doing it this way?

marcus-civis
08-15-2006, 02:59 PM
Fudge,

I think the point about Zack's method is that you can't think about topology and form at the same time. Which way you work depends a little on what your model's for and also on what suits you. A lot of people like to get a low poly mesh with good topology down first but this can rather hold back the creativity - you really can't block out a fantasy character's form quickly AND think about what edge flow you'll need when you come to animate/pose him.

Fortunately help is at hand in Silo and ZBrush (as soon as 2.5 is out). You'll be able to create new topology on top of a detailed mesh (and transfer the detail to the new mesh), so it won't matter which way you do things. This really will free an artist from the constraints of having to think about how his/her mesh will animate.

HTH,

Nemoid
08-20-2006, 09:58 PM
totally agree on that.
if the artist is free to create his shapes and then they can be reworked easily to make the mesh good for animation there's no limit than our imagination. glad that thanx to apps like Zbrush and Silo, this will become more and more possible. :)

Fudge
08-27-2006, 10:44 AM
hey thanks guys this has cleared things up for me. now while were on the subject i want to ask:
Zspheres vs poly modeling in a diffrent app.

im wanting to create my whole model in zbrush without having to switch between programs but i wondered how do zspheres compare poly modeling in a diffrent program for a base mesh? let me know

Fudge

rastko
08-27-2006, 10:58 AM
I make models with zsphere (everything done iz zb) but how much I know (I'm not animator) thery not so good for animation.

Fudge
08-27-2006, 03:19 PM
hey thanks, what about other people here?
also anybody care to hsare advantages/disvantages of zspheres vs poly model

marcus-civis
08-27-2006, 07:44 PM
If you like working in ZBrush then any time spent learning how to model using zspheres will be amply rewarded. They are a very quick way of building complex forms and the skills you acquire now will stand you in good stead when the 2.5 update arrives. However, there are drawbacks. It is very difficult to get good edgeflow (important for animation) using any of the modelling methods available in ZBrush. There are also certain things (such as modelling a complete ring) that are currently impossible using zspheres. If you want to get a job modelling for animation then you would certainly be expected to know about topology and the best way to learn about that is to model a base mesh in a subd modeller like Silo or Wings.

CGTalk Moderation
08-27-2006, 07:44 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.